How Can I Make An Affordable Spaceship Interior?

I'm looking to have a scale model built by a talented school kid that will be based on illustrations from the company in France who made my super soldiers look for the original I, Creator.

There will be lots of spaceship scenes for the sequel. So, greenscreening a model ship with lots of detail, seems like an affordable solution. The lighting will be tricky to match, which is why an experienced DP will be a must.

I will need interior shots where the actors are moving around. Should I use a computer room on, say a college campus? Or, should I consider putting something together in an empty room? Or, should I consider greenscreen? :huh:

By the way, I'm scripting a teaser for the opening of the sequel of predator-like aliens hunting some Amazon soldiers from Delta Four. The predators will bump heads with the Black Ops Special Forces Cyborgs of Delta Four who land in a spaceship for my take on a Predator vs. Terminator-like Cyborg battle to rescue the humans. It will take place in the woods of an alien world.

Gail%20Storm%20LR.jpg

So, the movie will open with an action sequence before the intro of the sequel, which will fill in events for the twenty years after Earth was nuked.

Last edited:
Im just making this up as I go along.. but maybe this will work...

Draw up some concept art.. think of it like textures for a video game map.

You can get those textures printed poster size, use spray mount and mount the texture posters to large Styrofoam panels (insulation at home depot) you might also spray the posters with a matte finish, so they're not too reflective..

add some depth by cutting holes, stacking bits of foam, paint exposed bits to match.. and assemble your space ship walls. Gaff tape the panels to stands and what not to hold in the desired position... cut out windows.. green screen behind the windows..

As far as the ship maybe you can get a cgi model of a ship that is all ready done and then use that in your film. Maybe stock footage of a ship is possible too.

I did a search here and found some stock footage that may work. I am not positive on the usage rights to these but they do say royality free.

http://footage.shutterstock.com/vid...y_id=&videographer_name=&_exclude_editorial=0

I searched google and found a place that sells 3d models of space ships. Depending on if you have software to load the files this could be a solution. I can't say I have even done business with this site so you would be taking that risk. But it looks interesting. You could maybe download a trial version of the software and render the space ship flying if needed. Then use adobe after effects to put a back ground behind it to look like space. Just a guess.

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/spaceship

Last edited:
I love Turbosquid stuff, but some is expensive. (To me)

I've played around with green screen and still images from there, and images from there with stock footage a few times, but never the full models. (I'd like to though.)

GSgirl001_0001.jpg

Girlincity_0001.jpg

GSgirl001_0002.jpg

Terminator.jpg

-Thanks-

Last edited:
The reason why I want the model built is to land it into the set with invisible wire for seamless matching to the objects and lighting in the set.

I don't mind getting 3D rendering for the interior stuff and maybe get some office chairs that come close to cockpit chairs for the cyborg pilots and crew.

I like these suggestions. Thank you guys.

The more suggestions the better. Choices make the creative process better.

Anyone else?

I’d like to try to get like a Space 1999 action figure play set, or Malibu Barbie’s Dream Home whose dream has since gone into thrift shop foreclosure, modify it a little for legality, spray paint it flat black and shoot it from a bunch of close angles, then key in various textures and backgrounds and green screen actors into it like a set.

Not sure how it would all work out, or how the best way to do it would be, but it would be a cheap experiment I’d like to try. (Same with a model railroad layout, it would be awesome to do a green screened short with characters in the train layout town.)

-Thanks-

Hey Buddy Greenfield, are those stills from stuff you've done?

There's a short clip on DailyMotion.com of a giantess stomping a city to death that looks like your first image.

Opus,

I may just make a teaser to fund raise for the sequel.

A good action scene with some familiar characters should get investors inspired. I have a new crew in mind with much more experience.

I do like wheatgrinder's suggestions.

Last edited:
I used the inside of an old abandon trailer and stripped airplane for my movie, worked well but I still need to do some CGI to cover the "cracks" so to speak. I also used a blue screen for the bridge in my movie. Overall it seems to work quite well, but its a lot of post (and being one guy - slow). But it can be done.

As for the ship model, I'm in the same situation of trying to build a model for stuff as I can't do 3D computer models (I have a fighter which I made myself, but I still need a couple big ships and a station). As for hanging things I know AE (After Effects) has an effect called "CC Simple Wire Remover", I haven't used it yet but I'm assuming it works well.

I used the inside of an old abandon trailer and stripped airplane for my movie, worked well but I still need to do some CGI to cover the "cracks" so to speak. I also used a blue screen for the bridge in my movie. Overall it seems to work quite well, but its a lot of post (and being one guy - slow). But it can be done.

As for the ship model, I'm in the same situation of trying to build a model for stuff as I can't do 3D computer models (I have a fighter which I made myself, but I still need a couple big ships and a station). As for hanging things I know AE (After Effects) has an effect called "CC Simple Wire Remover", I haven't used it yet but I'm assuming it works well.

That's pretty creative for the interior.

Have you considered using invisible wire from a store that sells magic trick stuff? Also, the background color and lighting can make other strings appear invisible.

I'm taking a gamble to be at the NY Comic Con this October with my cast to sell DVDs of I, Creator the original movie. By then, the DVDs should be ready. I'm awaiting feedback on the audio from 4 parties testing beta copies on their AV systems. :) If I get lucky, I'll make back the money it costs to attend and make some spare money for myself and the cast.

Last year, 77,000 comic book and science fiction fans attended. :yes:

Maybe try to find a factory, with corridors that can be retrofit with futuristic parts, gizmos, wires and tubing.

How clean is the inside of the ship? Spotless or grimy? The Enterprise or the Nebuchadnezzar?

You can use reflective foam siding for bits of your walls and such. We did a spaceship exterior with this--it's cheap and easy to work with. Keep in mind though, that is stylized and we did it for a 1957 sci-fi horror film.

If you were in LA, you can rent spaceship interiors by the hour/day...probably expensive, but uber nice and used by pros.

Last edited:
I know this stuff was just playing around a bit type of stuff, but here's a couple notes to help you improve your composites a bit..

Image #1: Perspective is wrong.. While it looks like she is very large, it looks like she forgot to drink her V8.. she's standing at a very odd angle. Gravity should work the same for giant people. ;)

Image #4: Keep an eye on your black levels.. the black shadows in the foreground don't match the shadows in the background. The blacks in the smoke cloud are darker than the blacks in the terminator model, and both are darker than the shadows in the buildings. Match the levels and color correct each piece into the same range of color, and everything will fall into place much nicer.

I love Turbosquid stuff, but some is expensive. (To me)

I've played around with green screen and still images from there, and images from there with stock footage a few times, but never the full models. (I'd like to though.)

GSgirl001_0001.jpg

Girlincity_0001.jpg

GSgirl001_0002.jpg

Terminator.jpg

-Thanks-

Maybe try to find a factory, with corridors that can be retrofit with futuristic parts, gizmos, wires and tubing.

How clean is the inside of the ship? Spotless or grimy? The Enterprise or the Nebuchadnezzar?

You can use reflective foam siding for bits of your walls and such. We did a spaceship exterior with this--it's cheap and easy to work with. Keep in mind though, that is stylized and we did it for a 1957 sci-fi horror film.

If you were in LA, you can rent spaceship interiors by the hour/day...probably expensive, but uber nice and used by pros.

This is NY.

Originally, I was thinking of shooting it on a college campus. The spaceship belongs to cyborgs. They are more efficient than humans. So, they will be cleaner.

Ok. I have to say this. Call it tough love. And I want you to know that I absolutely support your filmmaking endeavors, and I want them to work out best for you, which is why I feel the need to tell you to take a serious left-turn.

Dude, you're making "Laser Cats". Except, unlike "Laser Cats", people won't be laughing with you.

For your budget, in your location, with your resources, you simply cannot create a realistic-looking spaceship. It's going to look silly. People will laugh at it.

As far as I see it, your best options are to either junk the project, and think of something a little more feasible, or just say "fuck it", and make "Laser Cats". But make "Laser Cats", intentionally. Have fun with it. Throw in a bunch of jokes about how shitty everything looks. There's no reason why your super-serious story can't have some good tongue-in-cheek humor thrown in.

Back