How can I get Adrien Brody in film?

I'm directing my first feature film, a true story I had optioned.

It is real great material, which many people have told me, if done well..It can do very well.

Adrien Brody, is the actor, which i have had my eye on for quite some time, not only is he a great actor...but he resembles this charecter so much...

The project is being funded at the moment...

But how do I go about getting in contact with him... Finding his agent is the tough part...

If anyone can help me through the steps I would greatly appreciate that...

Will also put a special thanks mention, for the one who can help...

Thankyou

Here is the contact info for his agency.

William Morris Agency
One William Morris Place
Beverly Hills, CA, 90212
USA

310-859-4000
310-859-4462

Good luck :)

His price per movie is very high after winning an Oscar. Dont' call William Morris until you already have a significant portion of the budget raised.

You coul dreally embarass yourself and damage your reputation with a bad first impression by not having your ducks in a row.

sonnyboo said:
His price per movie is very high after winning an Oscar. Dont' call William Morris until you already have a significant portion of the budget raised.

What if the plan is to get Brody attached so the budget can be secured?

Poke

Whatever your strategy is...do it. Don't listen to people who tell you not to bother. It's worth a try, you have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is that you get turned down; but at least you'll know you tried. Plus, I'm sure it will work out for you anyway...especially if you have the money he'll normally ask for.

Why d'you need Adrien Brody? Isn't independent film about being independent - aka finding new talent! I personally get board of seeing the same old faces in film ;)

Shot Renegade said:
Why d'you need Adrien Brody? Isn't independent film about being independent - aka finding new talent! I personally get board of seeing the same old faces in film ;)
I agree. When a not-famous actor stars in a film, then I can more easily think of that actor as the character rather than himself.

Example: does anyone remember Denzel Washington's character's name in Training Day? I don't. Whenever I refer to him in that film, I say Denzel. Know what I mean? The character's identity is overshadowed by the actor's fame.

Still, a big actor will bring in the dough, if the film is good...so do what you want!

Finding his agent is the tough part...
As you can see, finding his agent is the easy part. 17 minutes after asking, you found his agency. Call the Screen Actors Guild if you want his agents name.

Okay, you say the project is being funded at the moment. Before I can offer any help I need to know exactly what this means:
Is there any money in escrow right now?

Can you afford a pay-or-play deal?

Is your producer experienced; with credits? Completed feature films?

Do you - the director - have any motion picture credibility? I understand this is your first feature - but have you directed any award winning shorts? Have you directed theater projects that have made a lot of money and received critical acclaim? Have you directed music videos? Have you written movies that have been produced and distributed?

Is your producer or prodCo a signatory to SAG? Or do you have all the necessary paperwork completed and ready to go?

These are all questions the William Morris agents is going to ask.

Some people say the project is being funded when they mean they are hoping they will find someone with money sometime in the future.

That isn't going to work with an Academy Award wining actor. The first thing his agent is going to ask is, "Is your project funded?" and they aren't going to mean, "Is your project going to be fully funded sometime in the future as long as my client is attached?"

Once I know a little more about your project, I'd be glad to take you through the process step-by-step.

I've done it - I've made the mistakes.

Apparantly a script has to be formatted right, and bound with covers, or a professional actor's agent might bin it.
This is correct.

Think of screenwriting and movie making as a profession. The professional approach to other professionals is always the best.

If you were to go to a job interview at, say, a underwater welding shop and not have a your Commercial Divers Certification, they won't consider you a serious candidate for the job.

Same with actors agents. They are in the business to find work for their client. NOT to help the careers of aspiring screenwriters. If your script isn't professionally formatted that's a dead giveaway that you haven't done your research and are likely not very professional.

Dont some actors more or less volunteer their performance for the indie films?

I mean you always see Ben Afflect talk about supporting the art.

Im sure they want to see the script first and may make suggestions and might lay down some specific groundrules before making a final decisions.

Also, Im sure they're going to want at least semi professional workers who know how to set up proper lighting, make up artist and a decent high quality digital camera.

LOGAN L Productions said:
Whatever your strategy is...do it. Don't listen to people who tell you not to bother. It's worth a try, you have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is that you get turned down;

THat's not entirely true.

You DO have something to lose. If you deal with his agent and your project falls through, you can loose a lot of creditbility the next time you need something (or someone) from the William Morris Talent Agency.

When dealing with the very highest echelons of power, you need to have something beyond an idea to back up your plans. You need the equity that will make it possible.

If you're goal is to use Adrien Brody's name to secure financing, you need to truly impress the agency FIRST.

King Goldfish said:
Dont some actors more or less volunteer their performance for the indie films?

Yes, but "free" is not exaclty accurate. Bruce Willis did PULP FICTION for SAG (the union) minimim wage which at the time was $1,200 a week. He donated it to charity. He turned around and did DIE HIARD WITH A VENGEANCE within a few months of that for $20 million. In comparison it's "free", but for MICROBUDGETED movies, it's the cost of the camera.

Depending on the budget for your film, you may be able to get away with "free" actors. Under SAG Indie's Experimental contract you can pay your actors nothing, but when the film gets released, you'll have to pay the SAG's low budget rate which is something like $600/day, per actor.

If you get Adrian Brody in your film, you could expect investors to be very interested.

Scott

scottspears said:
If you get Adrian Brody in your film, you could expect investors to be very interested.

Scott
Exactly right.

If a producer with no money is attempting to attach an Academy Award winning actor as a means to raise financing - that actor becomes, in effect, a producer.

Thus, an actor whose name will interest investors must be very selective of the projects they attach themselves to. It takes much more than the passion of the writer - producer - director. A "name" actor gets thousands of requests a month from filmmakers with little or no money to attach their name for the purpose of raising money.

One (of many) risks is if the project doesn't attract enough investors, word can get out that an Academy Award winning actor couldn't attract enough investors to get a low budget film into production.

Even though the problem COULD be the lack of experience on the producer/writer/director, or a script that isn't ready, or flakey investors, the "name" actor gets the poor press.

That's why most name actors will only look at a project that is already funded.

The original poster hasn't been back in over a month. Let's hope it's because he's busy working with Mr. Brody!

Back