• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How bad is it to shoot with multiple cameras?

I can't do a lot of tests cause right now I only have my DLSR, the Canon T2i, plus the T3i of a collaborator, but the footage looks exactly the same in both.

I am going to do some traveling to Vancouver soon, and while I am there, I was going to hire a DP to get some establishing shots for me with his or her camera. Then shoot the rest of the movie in other, cheaper locations near me, with a different DP, and his camera. I was told by him and another person who shot a movie with different cameras, that it's a nightmare to try to get footage to match. So is it worth it, even if the cards are stacked my way, by doing so while on a trip?

I did audio on a 3 camera (short narrative) shoot one time...nightmare. For me and for lighting. For some scenes we were in smaller spaces, so stepped down to 2 cameras. Still a nightmare. Take your time, use 1 camera, it's not worth the trouble for your lighting crew, audio guys, editor, and basically everyone else

Okay thanks, but I am not planning on using multiple cameras in the same scene per say. What I mean is this:

I cannot afford for the DP to bring his equipment with me to Vancouver, so I have to get the Vancouver establishing shots myself, with my T2i. The DP just traded in his camera for the 5D though. So basically what I will be doing is shooting the outside of a building on the T2i, then cutting to the inside of the building which will be shot on the 5D. Is that do-able?

I'm going to assume both cameras are the same model/type...if that's the case, I don't see the problem with a multi-camera setup. It's just a different style, no big deal.

Back