• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How bad is it to shoot with multiple cameras?

I can't do a lot of tests cause right now I only have my DLSR, the Canon T2i, plus the T3i of a collaborator, but the footage looks exactly the same in both.

I am going to do some traveling to Vancouver soon, and while I am there, I was going to hire a DP to get some establishing shots for me with his or her camera. Then shoot the rest of the movie in other, cheaper locations near me, with a different DP, and his camera. I was told by him and another person who shot a movie with different cameras, that it's a nightmare to try to get footage to match. So is it worth it, even if the cards are stacked my way, by doing so while on a trip?

It's great to shoot with 2 cameras, it's horrible to light for it and creates alot of extraneous footage in the edit. The most effective way to shoot with 2 cameras is to have them shoot in the same angle, different framing... that way the lights will work better for both cameras.

This is covered in the BTS for the "Panic Room"... the 3 disk set is AMAZING for BTS.

Okay thanks. But what matching? I haven't seen the footage yet, but a guy I helped make his movie, says that he has trouble color correcting the footage to match and does not know if he can pull it off. Another guy I know could not get his match, and he sent his film into festivals, but it did poorly and he was told by some contacts there, that that was the reason.

Just have to make sure on set that it's matching as much as possible in camera. The problem with using 2 separate DPs is that, unless they have enough experience and plenty of contact with one another and test shoots between the two settings, they're just guessing at the match. If the primary DP has no control over the second unit DPs work, the primary will end up having to match the footage for the couple of setup shots rather than having the 2nd Unit match the 1st Unit's footage (as it should be, since the primary footage being used is from the 1st).

Although, if it's shot close enough, the CC and Grading should get them there.

Don't shoot with two DPs unless you have the budget and support to allow it. You can shoot with two DPs if your Gaffer is the same throughout. You can shoot with two DPs if they're both at the same level and have contact with each other about the film.

Shooting with two cameras is not bad. It is certainly more difficult and saves no time. Generally, if using two cameras in the one scene, you use the same camera so they'll match fine. If you're using two different cameras, you want to do some tests, make sure they'll cut together and see if there's any workaround you might need to implement so that they match better.

A great colourist will also be your friend in such situations.

Okay thanks. Since I am shooting the movie in two different cities though, it does save money to hire a DP in each city since I don't have to pay for a plane ticket and accomadations for just one.

I can't find a DP in Vancouver though, because their they have a law that I need to be paying permits for an official movie production in order for them to be hired. I would say a lot of money if I just took my Canon T2i and got the shots myself while I am there. I still can't get the hang of focus pulling though. Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but I just can't hit the marks at the right time.

How bad is it to shoot with multiple cameras?
Very bad.

If you point the two cameras towards each other you'll cause a rip in the time-space continuum... or lose an eye.
One or the other.
Whichever.

tumblr_lpwln2SCz41qzekdio1_500.gif
:weird:

You could have a 'second unit' DP, I guess.

Then it comes down to you - you're the one that will then have to dictate the look of the film to each DP so that it matches.

Okay well since I know the look I want I will just show them an example of a movie I want the look of and they can both use that.

I will have to be the focus puller though. No one wants to be the focus puller that I have met yet, or knows how. So I will do it, since it's my project, but I still can't do it. Like let's say I want to track forward in a shot. I have a mark on the lens, and I have 1/3rd of a second before that mark needs to line up and hit. How do I time it so that it will mark in 1/3rd of a second? I can't get the timing right.

Well my DP is much more familiar with his camera, plus his camera is just better quality. I am only using mine for shots I have to fly to Vancouver to get. I am going their for vacation anyway, so it's killing two birds with one stone. Plus audiences might believe the movie is set in the big city, if I get big city shots. It's for the shots I have to do myself I need to pull focus for.

A similarity, a connectedness, a corresponding in character or kind; appropriate or look harmonious. Making the whole look united. No picture shock jumping from (4k?) to dslr. Is it a film that will primarily be seen on the big screen, DVD, transferred to film, youtube, online media? You may not need the higher quality... just for a few shots.
You can rent cinema lenses from BorrowLenses.com for your T2i. They'll ship to any city.

A small sensor multiple-CCD camera will struggle to cut with a large sensor DSLR. Unless you're talking about a large sensor Sony, like an FS(x)00 or PMW-F(x) series

Actually the DP here, is shooting it with a full size 35mm censor on his camera. And my camera is the T2i with it's smaller sensor which I am using for the Vancouver shots, which will inter cut with the footage from his camera. I notice the jump in the cutting but will this be noticeable on film festival big screens, to the audience, if they are paying attention to the story, and not the digital quality?

I don't remember what his cameras are but he has ones that look like cameras, the media uses, one Sony, and one Panasonic.

Last edited:
Broadcast media tend to use 2/3" CCD cameras, which would be a smaller sensor size than your T2i. If it is indeed a S35mm sensor Sony, such as the FSx00 or PMW-F(x) series, then it would have the same sized sensor as your T2i. An FSx00 shouldn't look too different and not cut too badly, assuming you used the same lenses and kept a consistent look, both in the lighting and the grade.

Okay thanks. Even though his camera looks like a media camera, I really have no idea whether it is one or not, or what the sensor size is. I just compare it to a media camera cause it's of a similar size and shape.

I did a shoot with the 5D2, 60D and a Panasonic HVX200p and we ended up dumping the Panasonic footage...I was handing the DSLRs and someone else was with the Panasonic...I lit the scene according to what I liked on the DSLRs and the guy would tell me that it looked good in the Panasonic...apparently it wasnt...

Back