How are fake stores/storefronts made for movies?

I'm not talking about building something from the ground up, I'm referring more to something like the Mike Zoss Pharmacy in No Country For Old Men. Do they actually mess with a real, working storefront?

It all depends on what needs to happen. Sometimes a post production sign can be added and no one will notice. It is usually sets, but it all depends on the film, the budget and what needs to happen there. I grew up in South Boston, but live in Brooklyn, and a local bar around the corner is a frequently used store front in the Departed, which I always find odd.

The movie Mr. Deeds was shot on a regular street near my home. The first few scenes take place in Adam Sandler's character's pizzeria, which was a real working restaurant ("The Bistro Cafe"). The production crew replaced not just the Bistro's sign with a fake sign for the production, but every store's sign on that road and even across the town green, all because of this one shot.

On a day off from shooting I was able to walk around the location and take photos of the street and the fake store fronts. Let me know if you have any interest in seeing them.

Last edited:
Back