Home-Built Steadycam or Digital Video Stabilizer ?

Hi All,

I’m a videographer based out of NYC always looking to improve my work.

I was wondering if anyone has used and/or could recommend a video stabilizing software. And if so, does the footage put through the software looses any quality? and does it change formats?

And about Home-Built Steadycams, I’ve done some research on the web and found quite a few designs that look promising, but so far.. the design below looks pretty good.

I’m personally inclining towards using a Steadycam, since obviously having smooth footage makes editing easier, but them again I haven’t try the video stabilizing software.

So, if you know or have heard of any better options, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

My Favorite Homemade Steadycam Design so far..

http://www.Steadycam-Pro.com

I'm using Shake, I know After Effects can do it as well. Yes, you lose resolution and can get some weird looking artifacts as you remove camera motion, the motion blurs will still be there, so it can look a bit wonky at times. Usually very subtle though. As to the resolution loss, the software corrects the motion by moving the frame in the opposite direction of the camera motion. This leaves black bars on the edges of the frame. You remove the bars by zooming the image in, thereby doing a blowup of the existing pixels, thereby reducing the resolution. The end result usually makes up for the loss though, especially if you've planned for it in the shoot by framing slightly wider than you want for the resulting shot and keep the camera as solid as possible to minimize the artifacts from the motion.

That particular stablizer's effect can be recreated by simply picking up your tripod and collapsing its legs to provide a compact counterweight. Just extend the head of the tripod to give yourself something to hold onto and find the center point of the tripod (where it will balance on your finger with the camera on it) and hold it there with your stronger arm...then guide it with your other hand on the handle. Free!

Last edited:
I built this steadicam for about $12 in parts from Home Depot (pipe, etc) and a fitness store (a weight plate):
http://microfilmmaker.com/tipstrick/Issue1/steadycam.html
I was pretty impressed with it, for $12. Take a look at the sample footage off the how to site. I shot some footage of my own with and without and it was pretty good; simple inertial physics at work.

Hi All,
...And about Home-Built Steadycams, I’ve done some research on the web and found quite a few designs that look promising, but so far.. the design below looks pretty good. I’m personally inclining towards using a Steadycam, since obviously having smooth footage makes editing easier, but them again I haven’t try the video stabilizing software.
So, if you know or have heard of any better options, I’d love to hear them....

Back