• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

"Hollywood Formula" Worksheet

So the millions of novels are less becoming because their structure is one? The screenplays that have lead to such colossal inspiration worldwide, for generations, these are not partnered with the art of storytelling?

Beginning. Middle. End.

That's not just a structure, that's life.

yea, well, but, maybe its ok to decide for yourself where the beginning,. and the end and the middle are, in relation to each other.

If it's structured to formula it's not a story.

It's... um.... tripe,

yea, about that tea.

What's happened to this place.

Indietalk is now encouraging the following of hollywood formula.

Oh, that's just great.

Yea, let's dum down indie as well.

I think you got to consider what hollywood considers a good formula. You don't have to follow it. But obviously it is successful because a lot of hollywood movies have a similar arc it seems to me.

I think it just puts a lot of destructive noise between your ears.

And all of this rubbish about "what hollywood wants", it's just the internet feeding your insecurities.

And new writers are gullible, and vulnerable, and they listen to that crap.

Every story should have it's own process.

Or it's not relevant.

It's, er, how'd ya say.... tripe.

It's like asking a child what they want to be when they grow up. It's not the reality of who they become.

Last edited:
Uh, yeah.....

And your idea of a story that is not formulaic is......:hmm:

btw, we don't try to insult people here, especially if you can't back up what your point is....whichi you have yet to do.

-- spinner :cool:

oh, man, the scribosphere is overrun by unsold and aggressive save the cat devotees.

That's all there is to it.

I think it's because they've gone down that road, and failed, and now have no way to return.

I don't know, I haven't seen that dragon movie. Was it a kids movie, cos they can get away with being a bit simple.

There IS a fundamental *structure* to storytelling underlying all human world experience, and that is the hero journey, or, as already noted: beginning, middle, and end. Campbell and Jung spent their lifetimes studying comparative literatures and mythologies to find that, indeed, the monomyth underlies all human storytelling, that it's the local variants of cultures and individual contexts which make this (our human) *story*, contemporary. It's been said before, you need a common denominator (the monomyth) in order for an audience to start this journey with you, but it's up to the artist/filmmaker to make it relevent for their audience....and that means gleaning, and mirroring, the culture the artist lives in...that's where the real creativity comes in. You cannot make a work of art in a conceptual vacuum, you need some remnant of reference.

And, I do agree there are many works made outside this formula. But if you were to dig deeply into them, I bet you could easily classify those pieces as deconstructive...they most probably work with some element of the monomyth, even the most abstract examples.

I've never even heard of a Blake Snyder film, so, it seems a bit unnatural that he should be a guru to thousands of developing writers.

I would have thought that was obvious.

This is some book that's gone viral. I wonder how films were written before he wrote his book.

And the tactics they employ.

Punishment by alienation. I'm not invited for tea.

And then I'm challenged to tell them my three wishes so they can twist me into believing what they're saying can make them come true.

Oh look, and there's a clever one, she's pretending to accept what I'm saying so I'll confide in her.

wow

What the hell happened to independent thought.

I've never even heard of a Blake Snyder film, so, it seems a bit unnatural that he should be a guru to thousands of developing writers.

This is some book that's gone viral. I wonder how films were written before he wrote his book.

And then I'm challenged to tell them my three wishes so they can twist me into believing what they're saying can make them come true.

Oh look, and there's a clever one, she's pretending to accept what I'm saying so I'll confide in her.

wow

So what movies do you like that don't follow what you call tripe?

wow

The "formula" is as old as the bi-cameral mind, and was given a tangible voice with Aristotle's poetics. Plato managed to speak volumes before that.

The rest of your post sounds self-absorbed and trolling. :(

And now they're resorting to calling me a troll.

Intimidation tactics. All because I'm not a believer.

Devo-tea anyone. Man. You know, to the sane screenwriter, these templates are like a straightjacket.

And now they're resorting to calling me a troll.

Intimidation tactics. All because I'm not a believer.

Devo-tea anyone. Man. You know, to the sane screenwriter, these templates are like a straightjacket.

First, no one but myself implied you were a troll. Singular, no "they".

Your stream of consciousness confessional is definitely self-absorbed.

Please, direct me to some examples of successful movies/scripts which in no way deal with the monomyth, either as a construct or elements, used, thereof, decontructively...and I will apologize for my troll namecalling.

BTW, I'm not trying to convert you to anything.

Last edited:
Who cares? The Hollywood film industry and its evil formulas aren’t there to appease anyone’s creative sensibilities or shine like a beacon that guides anyone’s artistic integrity into safe harbor, it’s a business just like McDonalds, and both use formulas to create a product that sells. If someone doesn’t like that product, they shouldn’t eat it.

Yes you can make a better hamburger at home -all day long, but let’s see you sell over a billion of them to the masses without doing the same thing over and over until at some point a trend or a formula emerges.

Is that formula good? It is if you want to run that kind of business, but no one says anyone has to run that kind of business or create that kind of product. Do they? And why would anyone listen if they did?

As far as the books go, Snyder, Mckee whoever the hell else is the theory of the moment, again who cares? Do they claim their way is the only way? I don’t think so.

They are simply selling their take on things just like you are trying to sell your take on things, and anyone fool enough to accept everything is one way or everything isn’t or can’t be many ways gets exactly what they pay for.

-Thanks-

Back