Hitting someone with a car

Lloyd Kaufman even. How about just shooting the the actor then the car. then get a dummy and, pardon my lack of proper terminology, shoot from a distance the car hitting the dummy. then a close up of the actor rolling off the car. or maybe a sadistic shot of the driver as the windshield is hit with blood. Before any one asks yes all i know about filmmaking I learned from Troma.

Here's how

You can make this look very effective with just three shots :-

Shot 1) Establish danger. Shoot 90 degree angle to car and actor

Car runs at speed towards actor - Actor reacts (Note his action)
( the actor and car appear to be on a collision course but are separated by their distance to camera
i.e. Car 2 metres & Actor 1 Metre

Shot 2) Impact shot. Reverse Action. 3/4 shot

Stuntman/Actor lies on the windscreen of the car.
Reverse the car so that the actor reclines back off the car and into a standing position (Try to match action in shot 1)

Shot 3) WS exit - Anywhere you like (Usually about 5-10 metres away (in-line) so you can fit a pan in)

Shoot the last shot with your stuntman/actor or even dummy on top of the roof of the car, slightly more
advanced than the starting position for shot 2 above.

NB In the edit simply run shot 2 in reverse and so long as you have action matched then you will end up with an effective car impact and follow on.

Hope that helps.

What if you never show the actual hit at all? It could play something like this:

Shot of car screaming down the road
Shot of person turning wide eyed toward the car
Shot of person in foreground car coming at them in back ground
Cut to white
Sounds of crashing, glass breaking, and body thumping on hood, etc.
Fade from white to person on the ground and in the back ground we hear squeeling tires as the car makes it's get away.

I shot a western with a shoot out scene and we didn't have any stunt people or money for squibs so I shot everything in a way that you never saw a person get hit with a bullet. And people actually congradulated me on my makeup job during the gun fight. The trick is having good sound FX.

Katie

It's all gravy

Hi KT,

Sounds cool and yeah I agree, of course you can shoot without actually showing the impact.
The power of suggestion is often greater than what you might be able to shoot anyway.
Take for example, Jaws - a shark that was so bad that they had to come up with an alternate
fear factor - You did'nt actually "see" the shark until half way through the movie - but will you ever forget
the Jaws theme and the fear it envokes.

L. :)

You should put a harness on the guy, and yank him up over the car with cables just before the car impacts.. have him fly over the car and such.. after all, it *is* a comedy.. why not bend the rules a bit.. gravity and physics need not apply.. :P

Demosthenes X said:
And ensure you can clearly see the guys pulling the rope. ;)
Hell yeah.. maybe have them lift off the ground while the other guy slams back down on the roof of the car, 'cuz he's too damn heavy for the two or three twerps tugging the rope to hold up. :D

Heres the short i made including a guy gettin hit by a car. Its about 2 and a half mins and in wmv. Go to
HERE The quality isn't very good but it's the only way i could get it on the net and to stream nicely. Raw Dv looks very realistic and nice. Check It

Last edited:
Back