Hey, do you think anybody will notice the boom in the shot?

This is a trick isn't it? The "shot" camera must be setup at another angle, and this is just another camera used to film the filming. Am I right?

This is a trick isn't it? The "shot" camera must be setup at another angle, and this is just another camera used to film the filming. Am I right?

I don't have any idea how to explain this. Thankfully, yes, this particular shot was 2 cameras, and we got another angle. But this shot is framed up nicely, and there's no reason for us to get the shot if we're not intending to use it (audio recorded externally). In the end, this is only an example of why it's clearly best not to have people wearing many hats at the same time. The director should just be the director. The boom-op shouldn't also be B-cam. Etc.

But no, this shot was not set up to "film the filming". We didn't do any "behind-the-scenes" stuff.

So, I guess the boom op did not check the framing with each camera. My routine is with each camera as I lower the boom (why he/she is booming from below, and catching a heck of reflection from the wall is another discussion) is ask cam 1 (am I in, am I in, until he says yes and he says yes, then I move slowly out until he says "out" I remember this, then I ask cam 2 am I in and if he says yes, then I have to determine if there is another location better suited for both cams.

I hate two camera shots. But as long as the cam ops are on-board with what I'm doing, we'll figure it out together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOoJ0F50dYU

Yowzers. Who is running boom? :)

This should have been boomed from above. If shadows halted it from being so, then tweak the 'lighting', which looks pretty minimal anyway.

This shot is clearly unusable. It's pretty funny though...that this is serious.

Last edited:
I don't have any idea how to explain this. Thankfully, yes, this particular shot was 2 cameras, and we got another angle. But this shot is framed up nicely, and there's no reason for us to get the shot if we're not intending to use it (audio recorded externally). In the end, this is only an example of why it's clearly best not to have people wearing many hats at the same time. The director should just be the director. The boom-op shouldn't also be B-cam. Etc.

But no, this shot was not set up to "film the filming". We didn't do any "behind-the-scenes" stuff.

In that case, lesson noted and appreciated! :yes:

Plus, what idiot boom operator you had doesn't realize he's going to get way more video-game controller clicks than he gets voice so the sound will be practically unusable anyway.

This boom operator needs to learn a few things.

Well, the boom-op was a one-day fill-in. He was working for less than minumum wage, and he brought his 7D with him. I was more than happy to have him on the set. Plus, he was working underneath a director who doesn't know the darndest thing about collecting good audio. Ahem!

Man, I feel like danjama is the only one who got it. Have any of you ever shot a feature film with a 2-man crew, over the span of barely more than a few weeks? It's pretty fucking hectic. Shit happens. I posted this as a humorous example of how ridiculous such a production can be. Don't be hatin' on my boom-op.

Back