Hello from Norfolk, VA and please critique

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum (obviously) and new to filmmaking. I've always wanted to have a nice video camera and do some serious amateur shooting but couldn't justify the expense of anything better than a consumer camcorder. Until now. I think I've found a small market for an instructional video that I think can justify and eventually pay for some decent video gear. I'd rather not say exactly what it is for now but it will be a relatively simple one or two hour video sold either on DVD or through some other streaming source. Haven't figured all that out just yet. My current video camera (the other was lost in a boating accident) is a HD Hero and I'm saving for a GH1 to outfit for video use. I'm also learning to use Premiere to edit my own work. In the meantime, I'm doing a lot of reading and focusing on still work with my EOS 50d. As an intro, could you guys check out the only "real" video I've made at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEV0FTfBFX8 and critique the shit out of it. I like to think that I might have a little better potential than your average You tuber but we'll see. Keep in mind I shot it with a still camera and my iphone. Also, if anybody knows of any good how-to resources for people who are making instructional videos or any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Watched video.

If you wanted to document how you spent your day in a few minutes, it's great.

If it's supposed to be more than that... it ain't sayin' much. Reason I mention, is 'cos you're all gung-ho for instructional videos, so I was expecting to see something actually relevant to that.

Zensteve, it was just a day at the show thing. As far as instructional stuff goes, when I search for info, the links that usually come up are just how to make an online instructional video, like a cooking segment. What I was hoping to find was maybe someone's blog or site about how they did the production, audio, editing, DVD production, packaging, selling, etc. I've just started reading From Still to Motion and it's helping quite a bit but was hoping I could find more info here. Thanks.

Back