Hello Americans!

So Im going for the first time to the US and have a random question to Americanos :P

what are the best mobile providers in the US (NY) that offer cheap or even free internet? (I mean sim cards only - no contract)? and how much?

Tmobile's unlimited plan is $50/mo.. that's unlimited everything, talk, text, and internet. They stopped requiring contracts last year sometime. Never been to NY myself, but I imagine service coverage there has got to be pretty decent.

i think walmart has a really cheap plan. i don't know if it's sim card or anything more about it. but i think it's 10 or 15 cheaper than the tmobile

Tmobile's unlimited plan is $50/mo.. that's unlimited everything, talk, text, and internet. They stopped requiring contracts last year sometime. Never been to NY myself, but I imagine service coverage there has got to be pretty decent.

I have a plan similar to this on T-Mobile. Doesn't it require a contract, though? Or maybe the phone puts you into the contract, so if you buy an unlocked phone you may have less of an issue with that.

If you go to Best Buy or whatever, they have plenty of burner phones that don't require a contract. When I lost my phone earlier last year, I lived with one for about a month - I actually believe it was an earlier Galaxy model, or at least, a form of it. The phone wasn't half bad for that month... and the months were reloadable, I just chose not to after the first. That may be the way to go.

MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile, and are even cheaper at $40/month with no contract. You can pick up a cheap WindowsPhone (Nokia Lumia 521) or Android (dozens of throwaway models) from them, as well. Unlimited Talk & Text, and 500mb cell/data (which only slows past that limit - it's never cut off, or levied with penalties)

Make sure you go to a company/corporate store. At the franchised stores, you'll get charged for every service/activity/need you have, including basic things like inserting a SIM card for you.

For a phone that you may only want for emergency use, most department stores like Walmart, Best Buy & Target have prepaid no-contract disposable phones that are very basic. Something like $20 for a basic cellphone, with $10 to start with on your account. Use it up as you go, and top off as needed. If you're looking at internet service, though, this is prolly not the best bet for ya'.

MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile, and are even cheaper at $40/month with no contract. You can pick up a cheap WindowsPhone (Nokia Lumia 521) or Android (dozens of throwaway models) from them, as well. Unlimited Talk & Text, and 500mb cell/data (which only slows past that limit - it's never cut off, or levied with penalties)

Make sure you go to a company/corporate store. At the franchised stores, you'll get charged for every service/activity/need you have, including basic things like inserting a SIM card for you.

For a phone that you may only want for emergency use, most department stores like Walmart, Best Buy & Target have prepaid no-contract disposable phones that are very basic. Something like $20 for a basic cellphone, with $10 to start with on your account. Use it up as you go, and top off as needed. If you're looking at internet service, though, this is prolly not the best bet for ya'.

thanks! that's a good advice?
charges for inserting sim-card? lol

I need a phone with gps as it's my first time visiting NY and I like posting pictures and checking in on FB (some find it silly, I find it "diary" :P )

I have a phone Galaxy s2 which I want to unlock to use in the US so Im mosly looking for sim card only. Unless I will be inable to use my mobile in the US

thanks! that's a good advice?
charges for inserting sim-card? lol

I need a phone with gps as it's my first time visiting NY and I like posting pictures and checking in on FB (some find it silly, I find it "diary" :P )

I have a phone Galaxy s2 which I want to unlock to use in the US so Im mosly looking for sim card only. Unless I will be inable to use my mobile in the US

Yea you can unlock your phone and simply get a Sim from someone like T-Mobile or whatnot. However I can say you're going to NY... the coverage is pretty damn good by everyone haha. Pick the provider with the cheapest plan, if you own the phone, TMobile has plans specifically for you that are like 30 or 40 for everything.

However you'd save more money buying a Galaxy S2 from Walmart's SmartTalk and spending 10 or 20 a month. However you'll need to pay like 150$ upfront or something like that for the phone. I don't think SmartTalk just sells Sims.

Back