Heli cam?

I want to do some aerial shots for my next short film. But dont know what to do or what to buy. I have a t2i but really scared to put that on a Rc Heli and fly it around. I was thinking about buying a RC Helicopter and attach my Flip HD to it. I can care less about that anymore.

Do you guys have any suggestions or experience with this?

Depending on your budget, you might actually look into renting a helicopter (and pilot). I know that we rent one for airsoft games sometimes and it's like $400 for an hour for a small one. So you're really only spending about twice what you'd spend on a reasonable RC helicopter (or $300-$400 if you get a good one).

Personally, I think I'd rather spend the $400 and go up in an actual helicopter, get the footage I need when I can actually see what I'm filming, and not risk my camera falling a hundred feet to the ground. You might be able to get a deal if you call around.

Small planes are another option, look for scenic flights in your area. I think they run less than $100 in my area for an hour or so.

Strangely enough, as popular as RC helicopters with cameras are these days, they are technically illegal due to an old FCC rule -- basically to prevent remote controlled surveillance. Rupert Murdoch owns an expensive drone aircraft (shudder, right?), and his company just got in trouble for using it to shoot aerial footage in violation of the FCC regulation.

My point is don't get caught. :P

Back