Have you guys rented your gear out?

Just out of curiosity, have you guys ever rented your gear out? If so,

How did you make sure they didn't destroy it? (Did you get insurance forms? How?)

How much did you charge?

Appreciate it.

I personally do not rent out my equipment. You never know how many hands are going to be on it, whether they are going to be careful with it. If they want my camera, I come with it.

If I break it, I'll be mad at myself, If you break it, I'll want it replaced. :grrr:

....eh, just avoid the whole thing unless you really know who's using your stuff....

-- spinner :cool:

You should definitely have insurance, and if you rent it out, you know you can make sure your go with it, as a DP with kit.

I rent out to a core of trusted friends (freelance videographers). My DVX100 was totally paid off, via rentals and the HVX200 (rented twice this week) is also very close to paying itself off. Again, these are guys that I sometimes work for and whom I know and trust. The rental price is often dictated by what they charge their clients. My HVX goes for $125 - $175 per day. DVX (rented less now) was $125 - $150. I also rent greenscreen, lights and video projectors. I have more than one projector, because I insist on having a backup. They are older models, so charge about $75 per day.

Back