Hate to do this!!

Hey everyone! I've stalked this forum for a while now but this is my first post.

I know you get a lot of requests here about which camera is best for this & which is best for that so i'll keep it short and sweet.

After a fair bit of research for cameras to use on a documentary (& on a budget) i've come up with a few possibilities. Which would be recommended out of this lot.

Panasonic HDC-SDT750
Canon LEGRIA (VIXIA) HF G10
Panasonic HC-X900M

Also the one below i'm not sure about, can't really find a price on it. Apparently around €1,500 - €1,700.

Sony HXR-MC2000E NXCAM

Of these choices which would be best?

Thanks in advance...... It actually wasn't very short or sweet. :lol:

The Panasonic HDC-SDT750 is a 3D camera. If you are planning to shoot 3D this is the
better camera of the three.
Canon LEGRIA (VIXIA) HF G10 is a fine camera. Probably the "best" of the three unless
you are shooting 3D - then it's no good.
Panasonic HC-X900M is also fine for what you want to do. this camera does not have a
mic input so you will need an audio recorder.

The Panasonic HDC-SDT750 is a 3D camera. If you are planning to shoot 3D this is the
better camera of the three.
Canon LEGRIA (VIXIA) HF G10 is a fine camera. Probably the "best" of the three unless
you are shooting 3D - then it's no good.
Panasonic HC-X900M is also fine for what you want to do. this camera does not have a
mic input so you will need an audio recorder.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not shooting 3D, the Panasonic was just one of the cameras that came up a lot.

So, the LEGRIA sounds like the best bet.

On sound, what would be a good mic to use? I was going to use an audio recorder, but also see there's a bluetooth wireless mic for the LEGRIA. Has anyone here has any experience with the b/t mics?

Also, if anyone can recommend a budget boom mic it would be appreciated.

...Panasonic HC-X900M is also fine for what you want to do. this camera does not have a
mic input so you will need an audio recorder...

Like my TM900, its successor, the £630 X900M does have a mic input - on the Panasonic specs page it says, "Microphones (stereo mini): Yes"

It has a headphone jack and manual audio level control as well.

That said, according to most reviewers, the £786 Canon VIXIA HF G10 is a little better in low light - see this comparison from camcorderinfo.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays,

Bill

Panasonic HDC-SDT750

I know a little about this camera. You'll need to be aware that it doesn't really shoot well at 24fps. Camera movement at 24fps make the footage almost unusable. They're really suited to shoot at their higher framerate (50/60fps depending on the version you buy). If you can work with the higher frame rate, then it's a decent camera to work with.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the Canon T3i (EOS600) or the T4i(EOS650). The t3i would come in cheaper than most of the options you've brought up.

Didn't actually stalk that far but thanks for showing me those.

Everyone else, thanks for the camera help. It's appreciated.

No one really touched on this camera: Sony HXR-MC2000E (Sony HXR-MC2000U for US). I've see a few documentaries shot with it & I thought it was quite a good look, but i'd like the opinion of someone more experienced than myself. Directorik has said he likes them in another thread.

Again, thanks everyone

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the Canon T3i (EOS600) or the T4i(EOS650). The t3i would come in cheaper than most of the options you've brought up.

It'll be a little cheaper, but for the OP's stated purpose of documentary work I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over something like the Vixia unless they already have significant DSLR experience. I'm assuming since they're here asking this question that's probably not the case, and a good camcorder would likely give them better results.

It'll be a little cheaper, but for the OP's stated purpose of documentary work I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over something like the Vixia unless they already have significant DSLR experience. I'm assuming since they're here asking this question that's probably not the case, and a good camcorder would likely give them better results.

Very little dslr experience.

Thanks again everyone..

Back