Hate Actors

So... I feel so nieve right now. At least I can take this as a learning experience....

So this 5 min film project we were given at uni, we had almost no limitations and could do what we wanted. Most people tend to do abstract art type things. I'm not interested in that I like narrative films. I decided to make a short which was 1 scene. The film is basicly a conversation between 2 people at an apartment front door. I planned to use this project to practice writing and filming dialog and creating characters in a short span of type. I wrote it up everything was ok, I worked out how I was gonna film it in my house to make it look like an apartment. Everything good to go. It was october my deadline was january 12th.

I dont know so many people in this city and my hometown where my friends are is too far away so I sent out an email to all the performance arts students at my uni. I needed a guy early 20s and a woman the same age who was pretty. I got no replies at all from guys so I figured I could do that myself since the camera is fixed on a tripod anyway (we have to do the filming ourselves). Several from women only 2 of them really looked right. I talked with them over several emails and they both liked my project idea and both wanted to do it. I tried to set up a meeting with one of them to talk about the project and show her script, thats when she stopped replying to all emails. The other was busy all the time but gave me her number, we spoke on the phone a lot about the project. I asked her if she will be free to do the project before christmas she said sure. By December 15th she tells me she cant and can only do it in january. I remind her my deadline jan 12th and we agreed we would do it in the first week of jan. I call her on Jan 2nd no answer... I text her on Jan 5th no reply... so now its the 8th and I have given up on meeting my deadline and am thinking what to say to my lecturers. They are pretty much gonna think I am some douche slacker who doesn't care about the course at all when I have ideas about film making, stories and scene ideas buzzing around my head constantly everyday. I just want to make a film but people keep letting me down... ugh.....................

Next year my final year I have to make a much longer film, 30-50 mins I think. I have tons of ideas for it but I find myself dreading it now worrying about flaky actors.

People just make me sick. Its like a couple hours max, just a rehersal then the filming. Then they get a short film of themselves acting that can be used in their portfolio, I said I would give them a copy on dvd aswell.....omg :-/

People who mess others around like this just need to die. I cant believe people can be so selfish.

I'm done ranting.

Last edited:
People are just like that. I hear it all the time: "I want to be an actor", "My daughter/son wants to be an actor". blah blah blah. You'll hear it all the time, yes it's a pain.

I just did my first feature. I had a guy for a lead role all set. He emails me 2 weeks before the shoot and tells me he can't do it. What did I do?

I took action. I found someone else within 24 hours. This kid has never done anything before, but wanted to be an actor.

In 2 weeks he learned his lines, showed up for the shoot, and nailed it spot on. So you see? If someone craps out on you, toss it aside and pick the phone up, send an email, do something.

There are those who say, and those who do. Find the latter.

People are just like that. I hear it all the time: "I want to be an actor", "My daughter/son wants to be an actor". blah blah blah. You'll hear it all the time, yes it's a pain.

I just did my first feature. I had a guy for a lead role all set. He emails me 2 weeks before the shoot and tells me he can't do it. What did I do?

I took action. I found someone else within 24 hours. This kid has never done anything before, but wanted to be an actor.

In 2 weeks he learned his lines, showed up for the shoot, and nailed it spot on. So you see? If someone craps out on you, toss it aside and pick the phone up, send an email, do something.

There are those who say, and those who do. Find the latter.

Of course, you can do your best not to put yourself in this situation. Also, I wouldn't suggest you bank on a total noob...that could make your film suffer. You want to make sure you have solid actors...especially your leads. And I'm not talking about 'passable' acting, the kind that most indie films let slide...the goal is always to get as believable an actor as possible...those aren't easy to come by. So hold auditions with plenty of time to choose, and screen your actors accordingly.

If we don't shoot for the stars, we'll never reach them. Don't settle for 'mediocre' or 'indie'...you always want the best...or at least the best person that suites the character.

Of course, you can do your best not to put yourself in this situation. Also, I wouldn't suggest you bank on a total noob...that could make your film suffer. You want to make sure you have solid actors...especially your leads. And I'm not talking about 'passable' acting, the kind that most indie films let slide...the goal is always to get as believable an actor as possible...those aren't easy to come by. So hold auditions with plenty of time to choose, and screen your actors accordingly.

If we don't shoot for the stars, we'll never reach them. Don't settle for 'mediocre' or 'indie'...you always want the best...or at least the best person that suites the character.

Well I certainly agree with you, but when you're operating on a shoestring budget and you have someone quit on you 2 weeks before a shoot, there's not much choice.

I got lucky, the kid did good. I actually liked him better for the role than the other guy.

And again, this was my first feature, first film ever as a matter of fact. I did the best with what I had.

Ahaha - geez I've had some run ins with acters,

One time I got a call at 1am from the lead female, at first all I could here was the song "I will survive" and then "hello, hello? alex? yeah its N***** erm yeah, I can't make tomorrow's filming... errr yeah I'm at the after party of the TV awards and I'm erm going to stay over in London" I can't remember my reply I think it was somthing like "oh you are f***ing kidding me"

But the best one was from a leading male: "yeah hey Smithy, erm, I'm going to france next week"

So yeah, acters SUCK... but where would we be with out the little attention-seeking noobs?

SMITH

I totally understand you.

I was in a filmmaking school and I have serious issues with actors. Some wanted to receive money and the girls couldn't take the character I prepared. I don't know USA but here in Brazil seems that all actresses want to be a cute lovely girl that falls in love for some fashion dumbass. That's awful. They can't take a serious role.

The money question is also one big proof of how actors are arrogant. I mean, when on a movie production the screenwriter, the producer, the director, the photographer... none of the team is getting money, why the actors should be the only ones taking it?

If it's a no budget production, doesn't make any sense for a actor to ask for money. They better say "I'm not interested in a no budget production" then ask for money when nobody's receiving it.

There should have a community for people crazy for filmmaking that agree to join productions to help and not to ask, that way we wouldn't be f****d up by this kind of "actors" and "actresses". I mean, if there's budget, everyone deserves to receive but if don't, just don't ask or at least don't ruin everything by agreeing to join and then giving up.

I totally understand you.

I was in a filmmaking school and I have serious issues with actors. Some wanted to receive money and the girls couldn't take the character I prepared. I don't know USA but here in Brazil seems that all actresses want to be a cute lovely girl that falls in love for some fashion dumbass. That's awful. They can't take a serious role.

The money question is also one big proof of how actors are arrogant.

Not all actors are the same, not all people are the same. If you have issues with all of them maybe there is something that you are doing wrong.
Once an actor wants to make a living out of acting and not a hobby he/she will look for paid jobs. Also if they had already some paid jobs in the past.
If you are working on a student project or a non budget film, check for student actors too. They will be willing to get experience for no payment.
At least offer them food. In our productions food is always a plus. At least they will come back saying "the film was bad, but I had a nice meal!".

I have been working with students as actor, and it can be very painful, but I enjoyed the experience and taught me a lot for my own projects.

Also the roles are important, if you ask me to play in a film for 20 secs and I require to stay there for 6 hours plus costs to get the location... well, I might not be so happy. However the script might overcome that.

I had to work with scripts that were written in bad English, and clearly were first or second drafts. Once I had to write my own lines because the script didn't make any sense!

Actors have egos, but in low budget filmmaking check for people that are willing to work as part of the crew. Mainly when your total crew can be very small.
And also take into account that what you envision and what the actor deliver is very different. Just try to do it yourself. Many great directors have been in acting classes to understand that fact.

Not all actors are the same, not all people are the same. If you have issues with all of them maybe there is something that you are doing wrong.
Once an actor wants to make a living out of acting and not a hobby he/she will look for paid jobs. Also if they had already some paid jobs in the past.
If you are working on a student project or a non budget film, check for student actors too. They will be willing to get experience for no payment.
At least offer them food. In our productions food is always a plus. At least they will come back saying "the film was bad, but I had a nice meal!".

I have been working with students as actor, and it can be very painful, but I enjoyed the experience and taught me a lot for my own projects.

Also the roles are important, if you ask me to play in a film for 20 secs and I require to stay there for 6 hours plus costs to get the location... well, I might not be so happy. However the script might overcome that.

I had to work with scripts that were written in bad English, and clearly were first or second drafts. Once I had to write my own lines because the script didn't make any sense!

Actors have egos, but in low budget filmmaking check for people that are willing to work as part of the crew. Mainly when your total crew can be very small.
And also take into account that what you envision and what the actor deliver is very different. Just try to do it yourself. Many great directors have been in acting classes to understand that fact.

I know it's not all actors but a lot of them are very shallow

And I looked for 2 kinds of actors: Students and the ones who were starting and couldn't get a paid job

Again, I don't understand why ask for food. If the producer, director, photographer, art director... no one is having special food, why the actors should? Are actors better then the rest of the team?

In most of the times the crew use their own money with the production and the actors almost never help with it, isn't it enough? In a low budget production, everyone is there for the experience, to make something nice without money. Make no sense at all to spend a dollar with actors. They better say "no" than ask for things that no one is having.

And I think that before you change the script, you should check the screenwritter to see if really didn't make sense or if you didn't understand.

Once I was talking to a girl that couldn't understand how a lesbian with drug issues was looking for help by going to talk to a priest. I tried to explain a hundred of times that people almost never follow what they say to believe and the "actress" really couldn't get it. Then I got tired and said that wasn't a television soap and she said: "I'm not into soaps, I'm in theater and I read Brecht". I laugh and ended up the conversation.

If an actor is taking the time to work pro bono on a production, the least you can do is feed them. It doesn't have to be fancy, but if it's a full day you have bagels and coffee in the morning, and a light lunch half-way through the day (or dinner).

@ Samucasaac : I don't understand...so because the actors aren't helping by being producers and contributing money, they shouldn't get fed on set? That's a hard attitude to work with my man, I'm sorry but it is. I wouldn't work on a production that felt that way.

No matter what level you are in the game, you deserve to be fed...pay or not. That's a given.

If you don't have enough budget reserved to feed your cast and crew, then you shouldn't be shooting a film...or you can use all of your friends to make the movie...but I'm willing to bet the film will suffer for it.

Look...as an actor, I'll still help move gear, I'll work for free, I'll promote the movie like crazy after the fact...the least I ask is you feed me.

Cheers.

"If you don't have enough budget reserved to feed your cast and crew, then you shouldn't be shooting a film"

I Agree

I ALWAYS put a great deal of thought and more than reasonable budget into craft servies, even making special provision for vegetarian, kosher, etc... if required. Even if people ARE getting paid. A well fed cast/crew is a happy cast/crew who will work harder, longer, and complain less.

If an actor is taking the time to work pro bono on a production, the least you can do is feed them. It doesn't have to be fancy, but if it's a full day you have bagels and coffee in the morning, and a light lunch half-way through the day (or dinner).

@ Samucasaac : I don't understand...so because the actors aren't helping by being producers and contributing money, they shouldn't get fed on set? That's a hard attitude to work with my man, I'm sorry but it is. I wouldn't work on a production that felt that way.

No matter what level you are in the game, you deserve to be fed...pay or not. That's a given.

If you don't have enough budget reserved to feed your cast and crew, then you shouldn't be shooting a film...or you can use all of your friends to make the movie...but I'm willing to bet the film will suffer for it.

Look...as an actor, I'll still help move gear, I'll work for free, I'll promote the movie like crazy after the fact...the least I ask is you feed me.

Cheers.

Oh if only the food was the only problem of actors...

But my point is that sometimes everyone in the crew but the actors pay for their own food and even give money to the production. What I always feel is that actors feel most specials of the production. Actors almost always feel that they deserve more than then everyone in the crew. Maybe they think that they're better only because they're in front of the camera, I don't know.

That might be the reason that many directors always use the same actors.

Oh if only the food was the only problem of actors...

But my point is that sometimes everyone in the crew but the actors pay for their own food and even give money to the production. What I always feel is that actors feel most specials of the production. Actors almost always feel that they deserve more than then everyone in the crew. Maybe they think that they're better only because they're in front of the camera, I don't know.

That might be the reason that many directors always use the same actors.

Quite honestly, I've met just as many crew who are dicks as I have actors...in fact, I'd say more. It's the industry in general. The majority of actors I've worked with and met are cool as hell, and professionals through and through. Maybe it's the circles you guys run in?

You want to talk about prick DPs? Oh, I could tell some stories. You want to talk about an asshole director? Oh, I've met a few. What about arrogant grips and snippy hair and makeup artist? I've got some stories.

Trust me, there are plenty on both sides of the fence. An ass is an ass is an ass.

This is a common story even in the big leagues. I read about it all the time, so you need to always have options. I had an actor who disappeared on me before the shoot and he was the lead antagonist. I had to look up his band to try to get in touch with him, and they answered but then started ignoring my emails. I drove 3 hours into some deserted bar in the middle of nowhere because thats where they were playing that night. The actor was surprised to see me, but once I explained everything to him, he was excited and wanted to do it "for sure". Then he had a talk with his band members and he dropped out last minute. I had the production almost set and I couldn't believe this was happening to me. I ended up casting an actor that was playing another character for the lead antagonist, and then replacing that character with my option 2 actor. It actually worked out way better than I thought, and I think the production would have been a complete failure if I had kept the original actor. It's really funny how things work out..but luckily I had options available. In the end, I had a small but dedicated cast that I feel very indebted to.

Last edited:
About 10% of actors will flake out on indie films for various reasons. Usually it's because something better came along. That's why you always need backup choices. For irreplaceable actors you need deal memos signed.

About 10% of actors will flake out on indie films for various reasons. Usually it's because something better came along. That's why you always need backup choices. For irreplaceable actors you need deal memos signed.

Probably more, and this is is applicable to the whole crew as well. Also probably 20% (to say a number) of indy films are badly scheduled and might never be completed. So it's all about confidence vs commitment.

As actor I played in a student film as a supporting role. I had to come on set two days for more than 5 hours each day just to film a scene of 30-60 secs. I got a headache out of snorting sugar (meant to be cocaine) and I didn't get any food or anything. On top of that the crew were fighting, so the second time I came they were only half of the crew.
And if that wasn't all the director told me how good the main actor was, while he told me off for not being exactly as I he envisioned... Then 2nd day I came back I made sure I looked exactly as I was the first time. However, the main actor didn't shave for 2 days... There it goes continuitivity on the same scene...
This film never saw the light :(

Also, bear in mind, that a lot of indie films are horribly run, scheduled, and produced. As Mr. Boss mentions above...that's how a handful of films are run...and then when the actor drops out because the total lack of professionalism, the actor is blamed. It happens all the time.

Last edited:
This thread is hilarious. If you're a director who finds yourself constantly frustrated with your actors, well, you're just associating yourself with the wrong people. Re-think your casting choices. I've had some very bad experiences, and I've done my best to learn from them. I've also had some WONDERFUL experiences. I think it's all about finding the right people, and what methods you are using to find them.

I am dedicated and show up on time and am pretty new to acting. I got my first part in a short film by networking with the director/dp/producer/writer etc... that I meet at a indie film network meeting in Idianapolis. So it is possible to get in the door if you try hard enough as a noob. I told them that I had been working on my own short film for months and I wanted to act in their film. I told them in a confindent way I wanted to do it. I showed up and hopefully it makes the cut of the film. The tralier just came out a day ago. I was not in the trailer since I had a small part. But I am excited.

I have been networking with other directors trying to get in films too. I am going to be in a 48 hours short film contest with the same people that produced the last short film at the end of the month. That is where you have to come up with a script/film/produce a short film in 48 hours. I look forward to that one I will act and maybe write hopefully.

I am trying out for another short film this weekend. Another short part since they need a 20s something and I am 35.

I recently got the motivation and confidence to act and I have the drive. I love movies and plan to direct/act and make my own movies with a production crew in the future once I have the money. If anyone needs an actor and have a good production team I would love to consider your film. I live in Indianapolis. Hopefully the final film turns out as good as I think it may.

As far as flakiness I know when I tried to form a band many years ago that it was difficult to get people to show up when they said they would. It can destroy a band before they even really get started. It transalates to film.

So far I have worked with professionals or people that act like professionals. The crew I worked with were great and the actors were amazing too. I think I may have been lucky in my first short film with a crew. I did check out the production company before I decided to do the project because I wanted a quality film for my reel. Besides it is a great networking thing to do if you act in a short. I met a lot of great people and got some experience. They used Cannon 7d and I love the looks of that camera.

Last edited:
Back