Han Solo origin film announced.

Could be cool. Hope springs eternal.

But I have to be cynical about it first. I'll believe it when I see it.

The lesson from the first six Star Wars films suggests skepticism.

Remember in the first film when Obi-Wan mentions Luke's father and the Clone Wars? And Luke is like, woh, you fought with my father in the Clone Wars? And Obi-Wan is like, uh-huh. And we were like, wohhhhh, 'the Clone Wars'...that sounds totally awesome and cool. And it lived as something very cool in our imaginations. Just a few lines, some tasty tidbits to fuel our fancy. And we probably thought, woh, that would make such an awesome movie!

Decades later we got our wish.

And look how deflating that turned out.

Not so totally awesome after all.

Just sayin', maybe Han's past is better left vague, mysterious, and to our imaginations. And not made into another prequel. I suppose that wouldn't exactly go for those who have read the novels. But for folks like me who have only watched the films...

It's not like I want to complain about their making another big budget scifi-adventure. Can't get enough of those. I'm just not looking forward to another chunk of otherwise cool Star Wars mythology becoming more disappointment.

Or maybe it'll turn out well and be loads of fun.

Yes. Lots of companies spend billions and get nothing - look at the current stock market in China, or the meltdown in Greece.

Cool. Remind me again how much income disney has made so far from star wars, so i can be impressed too.

Cool. Remind me again how much income disney has made so far from star wars, so i can be impressed too.

As a fan of the series, why should I give a shit about how much money they make? Big corporations make money, wow, thanks for the news flash.

I definitely very much like what I've seen Lucasfilm do with this franchise ever since it was sold to Disney, so far as cast/crew that they've hired, etc.

By the way, it's worth noting that Disney is not making any Star Wars films. Lucasfiilm is making Star Wars films. Disney just provides the money and reaps the rewards. Just as Disney doesn't make Marvel or Pixar films. It's an important distinction.

On a side-note, Force Awakens is being released on my 40th birthday. Thanks Lucasfilm! :D

As a fan of the series, why should I give a shit about how much money they make?
By the way, it's worth noting that Disney is not making any Star Wars films. Lucasfiilm is making Star Wars films. Disney just provides the money and reaps the rewards. Just as Disney doesn't make Marvel or Pixar films. It's an important distinction.

That is an important distinction. I actually didn't think that was entirely the case, since it felt like when Lucas sold the company to Disney, Lucas not only stepped down from any creative input, but Disney stepped in and started churning up the machine again to get a new installment going. And I guess that's still what they did, but I really had no idea how much say-so they were having with how the new films were going to go.

As I am with Episode VII, I too am optimistically skeptical about all the upcoming Star Wars installments.

It's unrealistic to be entirely drawn in by the hype and the furiously happy fan freak-outs these days, and not go into the theater with a little bit of a reality check, or with reasonably mid-level expectations. Because while many people from both sides of the fence (the crew and the uber-fans) are saying that this film is doing everything right, I have to be prepared that something about it just won't be right for me. I never can tell if a movie is going to get my approval on all points, and lately something about each film I've seen this year hasn't clicked with me. The only real favorite I've had is Kingsman, and even that film has something about it that only now doesn't quite gel with me. I can't say what exactly. Perhaps it was Colin Firth's unexpected death near the end that put a bad taste in my mouth. I love everything else about it, it just felt wrong to kill him off, even if he was the Obi-wan type character.

So far everything they're doing with the marketing of Episode VII, and all of the hype building that they are doing at conventions and such, is pretty much perfect. They are slowly letting a little bit more of the magic come out in trailers and behind the scenes footage every few months or so, and eventually we'll get a full-fledged trailer with a bit more of the actual story revealed. I appreciate their tactics with all of this, unlike most modern film marketing, where they just throw everything out all at once.

Now I can't quite expect them to do the same for the following Star Wars films. There's a chance that they'll get back to the old ways and start blowing everything in one trailer. Then again, maybe Star Wars is the franchise that they'll think more carefully about how to present to the public: giving out the small doses and real teasers before presenting a full trailer closer to release-date. That's what it should always be, for every movie.

I have honest faith in these upcoming films. More faith than I have ever had in any film before now. And so I don't want this film to disappoint me, but I shall be cautious.

It is definitely going to disappoint someone. No matter who it is or what the reason, films will always disappoint someone. But as long as Episode VII doesn't disappoint me, then I will call it a success on J.J.'s part, and the rest of the cast and crew. And I have a good feeling that if they set things off right with this first new installment, then the rest of the films will have a good chance of being equally promising. I also have a good feeling that Lucas Film will choose slightly better crews to helm Star Wars projects than Marvel chooses crews to handle Marvel projects. They both might end up on a similar scale of average to good to great, with maybe one bad apple. But overall I think Star Wars could end up being collectively better than all of the current Marvel films. We've already had the three worst possible Star Wars films, even though some folks still enjoy them, and I can understand why. So it really can only go up from here, because everybody knows how messy those three were, especially at Lucas Film. They've been trying to clean things up ever since.

By the way, I've heard that Chris Pratt might be up for Indiana Jones, and that Taron Egerton (from Kingsman) might be up for young Han Solo.

What do ya'll think about those possibilities?

By the way, I've heard that Chris Pratt might be up for Indiana Jones, and that Taron Egerton (from Kingsman) might be up for young Han Solo.

What do ya'll think about those possibilities?

To the best of my internet-rumor sleuthing, I believe the Pratt/Jones connection was nothing more than nerd wishful thinking. Kathleen Kennedy has publicly stated that though there will definitely be another Indiana Jones movie, they haven't even begun talking about the particulars of when/where/whom/how/what.

As for young Han, again I'm just citing rumors of the internet, but the one that seems most plausible to me is Aaron Paul.

Either way, I'm on board for all of this! :yes:

To the best of my internet-rumor sleuthing, I believe the Pratt/Jones connection was nothing more than nerd wishful thinking. Kathleen Kennedy has publicly stated that though there will definitely be another Indiana Jones movie, they haven't even begun talking about the particulars of when/where/whom/how/what.

As for young Han, again I'm just citing rumors of the internet, but the one that seems most plausible to me is Aaron Paul.

Either way, I'm on board for all of this! :yes:

I'll give him a try if they will.
My only concern with him is that it's very hard to remove Aaron Paul from the role of Jesse Pinkman, and the "Yo, bitch!" overcompensating angry personality he had. He also doesn't have the same stature, the same swagger, or the same vocal deepness that Ford had when he played the character. So I can't quite imagine him as the suave smuggler type that Harrison had embodied in the original part.

Taron Egerton would at least be a little closer to portraying the role in a similar way, he would just have to work on the accent. But I'd have to see some pretty convincing audition footage before I can believe that Aaron Paul can pull off a young Harrison Ford vibe.

I'll give him a try if they will.
My only concern with him is that it's very hard to remove Aaron Paul from the role of Jesse Pinkman

That's a good point. I mean, it would almost be like trying to remove Harrison Ford from the role of Han Solo to cast him as an adventurous archaeologist. ;)

That's a good point. I mean, it would almost be like trying to remove Harrison Ford from the role of Han Solo to cast him as an adventurous archaeologist. ;)

Except the way Harrison plays Han and the way he plays Indie aren't all that far removed from each other. Indie was a little bit more charming more of the time because he wasn't always having to deal with a malfunctioning space ship. But generally the two characters have a similar range and personality to them.

I'm more concerned about Aaron Paul's presence and how he'll sound as the character of Han. Because despite whether one thinks an actor's voice should matter when casting them in a role, Aaron has a very distinctive sound. So trying to place him in a role like Han Solo, at the moment, just doesn't feel quite right.

I think in interviews Aaron has a slightly more even-toned voice, so he could perhaps deepen it further to get that low gruffness. And then maybe if they gave him Harrison's thicker hair from 1977 it would really click.

I'm just a little skeptical about that particular consideration out of the other possible candidates that have been brought up by the fans.

I get where you're coming from, but do we really need someone to do an impersonation of Harrison Ford?

I personally think Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban all did wonderful jobs of playing their Trek characters in a way that both honors the original actors, while making it fresh and new. I like that. And it's worth noting that nobody would've ever thought that Heath Ledger could play a convincing Joker.

I'm not necessarily arguing for Aaron Paul, I just choose to trust those who are doing the casting. :D

I get where you're coming from, but do we really need someone to do an impersonation of Harrison Ford?

I personally think Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban all did wonderful jobs of playing their Trek characters in a way that both honors the original actors, while making it fresh and new. I like that. And it's worth noting that nobody would've ever thought that Heath Ledger could play a convincing Joker.

I'm not necessarily arguing for Aaron Paul, I just choose to trust those who are doing the casting. :D

You're not wrong.
And no, Aaron Paul would not have to literally be Harrison Ford if he were to play the younger role. But in both the case of Indiana Jones and Han Solo, a lot of what the character is is in the actor that played them both. You can try to fill the character's shoes with someone else, but if you do, then you have to fill those shoes with someone who can be as equally interesting all by themselves... on top of the character that's written on the page.

Case in point (as you had said), Chris Pine, Carl Urban, Zachary Quinto, and even Michael Fassbender as the young Magneto. So yes, Aaron could probably fill the role in his own new way. It's just kind of funny and also awesome to imagine him sitting in the pilot seat chatting it up with a younger Chewie. "Yo Chewie! Get us outta here!"

Last edited:
Back