• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Hacked GH1 test footage.

Ok well this is my first test clip since i have hacked my Gh1 (last night).
Shot with my canon Fd 50mm 1.8
The settings i hacked it to are....
44Mbit
and
Native 24p

WATCH IN 1080p!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuxAh38wCWc

Tell me what you think of this And even compare it to my other test from before i hacked it.

Im not sure if i should raise the Mbit higher or not but ive herd of people going to 100Mbit.

A good way to see the difference is in moving subjects, especially fast stuff. A stock GH1 has frustratingly low bitrate that starts to break apart during motion, also highly detailed stuff can max it out, like a grove of trees moving in the wind. A static shot of a stationary object might not show much.
The hack can also get you into 4:2:2 color sampling, which is pretty crazy for a sub $10,000 camera.

A good way to see the difference is in moving subjects, especially fast stuff. A stock GH1 has frustratingly low bitrate that starts to break apart during motion, also highly detailed stuff can max it out, like a grove of trees moving in the wind. A static shot of a stationary object might not show much.
The hack can also get you into 4:2:2 color sampling, which is pretty crazy for a sub $10,000 camera.

oh cool im not really sure what that is but im going to look into it lol

If you want to see how stable your hacked GH1 is, try filming grass while locked down on a tripod. Mine will crash in both MJPEG (after about 10 seconds) and AVCHD (after 10-30 seconds) every time. So far it's only really caused me a problem once (I wanted to get video of this beautiful pink flower among some tall grass with the sun shining through the trees perfectly highlighting it—I recorded about 8 seconds of it, but I think the file is corrupt as it won't seem to play and I haven't had a chance yet to try to convert or edit the footage).

If you want to see how stable your hacked GH1 is, try filming grass while locked down on a tripod. Mine will crash in both MJPEG (after about 10 seconds) and AVCHD (after 10-30 seconds) every time. So far it's only really caused me a problem once (I wanted to get video of this beautiful pink flower among some tall grass with the sun shining through the trees perfectly highlighting it—I recorded about 8 seconds of it, but I think the file is corrupt as it won't seem to play and I haven't had a chance yet to try to convert or edit the footage).

Does that have to do with the Mbit? If so what Mbit are you on?

Does the hack make that better or worsE?

Which patch are you using?
Have you tried that LPowel/blackout stability patch?

Hey Brett, I watched your test footage. After it was over, the phone rang and a little girl's voice said "7 days". What's that all about?

Does that have to do with the Mbit? If so what Mbit are you on?

Does the hack make that better or worsE?

It shouldn't happen without the hack. Grass really pushes the bit rates up, to the point they can become unstable. It happened with mine with both LPowell's Max Latitude patch (expected) and the LPowell/Blackout Native 24p patch (also probably expected).

Which patch are you using?
Have you tried that LPowel/blackout stability patch?

Is that the same as the Native 24p patch? If not, where would I find that one?

I think I may just dive into my own custom settings entirely at this point. I've been reading up a lot on what all the different settings mean and I think I could tackle it on my own.

It shouldn't happen without the hack. Grass really pushes the bit rates up, to the point they can become unstable. It happened with mine with both LPowell's Max Latitude patch (expected) and the LPowell/Blackout Native 24p patch (also probably expected).

Is that the same as the Native 24p patch? If not, where would I find that one?

I think I may just dive into my own custom settings entirely at this point. I've been reading up a lot on what all the different settings mean and I think I could tackle it on my own.

I did my own custom settings i didnt get patches i just put my bit rate to 44Mbit and did wrapper 24p. Im going to go outside right now and do that grass test and see if it crashes. I hope not! Ill let you know!

Hears the conclusion of my test!

OK so the camera is on my tripod test to about 3 feet high.

First test....I point the camera straight down focus on the grass and it recorded for well over 30 seconds before i changed angle.

Second test.... I point the camera on a down angle maby 45 degrees and film... played with the focus a bit....and still no eror.

I started getting happy thinking maby i have a special camera? :P

Third test.... I set the F stop to 5 and filmed with the camera straight and filmed my backyard( a grass feild) about 10 seconds in.....BOOM! error message. :(. That sucks becuase my grandpa asked me to do a video montage of his garden this weeknd:( looks like thats not happining :P

Hey Brett,
I think you need to film grass that's moving. As in tall grass blowing in the wind, that will press the codec. Also a lake or oceascape filling the frame, that's tough too for a codec.

Hey Brett,
I think you need to film grass that's moving. As in tall grass blowing in the wind, that will press the codec. Also a lake or oceascape filling the frame, that's tough too for a codec.

Dam that really dissapoints me. I wish i would have known this before getting a dslr(it is because its a dslr right?) Also its only at 44Mbit If i raised it to say ....70Mbit could that fix the problem?

I just hope im never on a paid shoot and The memory card fails....:(

yeah thats what i did.... Also i just red some where that the native 24p hack is what makes is crash. Is that true? if so Will the quality be much worse if i turn that hack off?

I'm not really expert on the hack, don't worry Brett, you bought a really great camera. Keep playing with you settings and keep testing different bit rates. Vitaliy's site, personalview is the #1 sight for hack info, he's the guy who wrote the hack. Just don't be taken back by his blunt personality, he's a genius .

I recommend, making your bed.:) You'll be surprised at how much better you sleep in a well made bed. Just sayin':)

Footage looks good to me.

I'm not really expert on the hack, don't worry Brett, you bought a really great camera. Keep playing with you settings and keep testing different bit rates. Vitaliy's site, personalview is the #1 sight for hack info, he's the guy who wrote the hack. Just don't be taken back by his blunt personality, he's a genius .

Alright i havent herd of that website before ill definatly look into it!

I recommend, making your bed.:) You'll be surprised at how much better you sleep in a well made bed. Just sayin':)

Footage looks good to me.

haha i had just woke up when doing the tests. I forgot :P. Next video that my bed is in , i will make it just for u! :lol:

Back