Greetings from the ground low

Hey,
I've always made "found sound" collages as a vicarious way to express my visual ideas. And now Im actually putting visuals to my music and am really enthused about finding a community like this to explore all things progressive and cinematic.
Hope you guys have a nice cool day...
Thanks

Hmmm. Interesting project. :cool:

There's an artist (forgot name) who puts together sounds from NY, as he travels around town. Is that similar to your "found sound" collage thing?

Hmmm. Interesting project. :cool:

There's an artist (forgot name) who puts together sounds from NY, as he travels around town. Is that similar to your "found sound" collage thing?

I am more "sample-based" so this includes using any of the following
vinyl
tapes
tape recorded sounds
mic'd sounds
experimental electronic feedback
pretty much anything that makes a sound, i'll find a purpose to it.

and I use hardware to sculpt the music, no software or computer programming. Computers hurt my non-playing tennis elbow.

I am more "sample-based" so this includes using any of the following
vinyl
tapes
tape recorded sounds
mic'd sounds
experimental electronic feedback
pretty much anything that makes a sound, i'll find a purpose to it.

and I use hardware to sculpt the music, no software or computer programming. Computers hurt my non-playing tennis elbow.

That sounds like a copyright nightmare!:scared:

Found sound can be a really cool medium, though. It reminds me of a story I heard on the radio. Apparently there is a group or organization or something that is logging the sounds of places all over the world. When they can, they go in person, but most of the time they just call random numbers in the phone book and ask the person who answers to hold the phone up to the room for a minute or two. They say thank you and hang up.

I don't know why, but I find that inspiring.

Post up some work when you get a chance :)

welcome-3.gif

Are you a fan of John Cage? A most interesting and controversial man. How about Steve Reich? Morton Subotnik? Disco Assassins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbgr74yNM7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFyl8amoEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTSEHDhijA

i love all those guys for sure...def respect what they brought to the table. never heard of disco assassins though, sounds great!.... John Cage is a hilarious person.

far as copyright, I shamelessly utilize as i see fit and then release limited cassettes through my tape label. Sometimes limited to 5 or 50, depends...

my roomate bends the circuit boards with kids toys, so I've been using a lot of those sounds lately...

Last edited:
That sounds like a copyright nightmare!:scared:

Found sound can be a really cool medium, though. It reminds me of a story I heard on the radio. Apparently there is a group or organization or something that is logging the sounds of places all over the world. When they can, they go in person, but most of the time they just call random numbers in the phone book and ask the person who answers to hold the phone up to the room for a minute or two. They say thank you and hang up.

I don't know why, but I find that inspiring.

Post up some work when you get a chance :)

yea that sounds really cool...I really enjoy Alan Lomax Library of Congress recordings, a lot of great world and southern folk music...all field recordings.

i posted some stuff in the screening room (experimental) if you're interested. thanks a lot! what a kind community

Last edited:
Disco Assassins were a performance group. In the pre-cable, pre-internet age they would use a dozen radios and half a dozen TVs and a bunch of samplers. They would capture random words, riffs, sounds, etc. in real time with the samplers and create layers of loops and continuously manipulate the samples, fade them in and out, capture new bits, etc. kind of like a sample jam session coupled with lights, lasers and dozens of TVs/VCRs. They would go for hours, sort of an electronica version of the Grateful Dead and the other classic jam bands.

I used to do a lot of "tone poem" works myself. A few came out okay, but I was never fully satisfied. I'll see if I can post something.

Disco Assassins were a performance group. In the pre-cable, pre-internet age they would use a dozen radios and half a dozen TVs and a bunch of samplers. They would capture random words, riffs, sounds, etc. in real time with the samplers and create layers of loops and continuously manipulate the samples, fade them in and out, capture new bits, etc. kind of like a sample jam session coupled with lights, lasers and dozens of TVs/VCRs. They would go for hours, sort of an electronica version of the Grateful Dead and the other classic jam bands.

I used to do a lot of "tone poem" works myself. A few came out okay, but I was never fully satisfied. I'll see if I can post something.

ha, that sounds insane. I'll have to check it out. My friend used to do something similar with vhs' and a bunch of tv's.

and uranium - never heard of gunderphonic...is that a music group?

and uranium - never heard of gunderphonic...is that a music group?

It's the product of the Evolution Control Committee, masters of found sound collage, all done manually with no computers. I'll PM you a link.

Back