Gravity

I think this movie 100% deserves its own thread.

I saw it today... Boy it blew me away... As for the first 20-30 minutes, stunning x 100.

I thought the 3rd half waned somewhat but overall, this is one "must see" movie.

And that opening scene... wow...

The Camera's Cusp: Alfonso Cuarón Takes Filmmaking to a New Extreme With Gravity
[ contains spoilers ]
http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/director-alfonso-cuaron-on-making-gravity.html

Making Gravity: How Filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón Created 'Weightle
[ contains spoilers ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQHAC5kUgH0

'Gravity' Evocative of Astronaut's Real Space Experience | Video
[ contains spoilers ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctR-XcvK48

Saw it yesterday. Flipping amazing.

The story's incredibly unique and interesting, and well assisted by sound design, phenomenal performances, and beautiful cinematography. The visual effects were top notch as well. I also loved how the film's "gravity" is more so about Ryan's losses than literal gravity. Very powerful symbolism. The film was also in real time, which made me feel closer and more involved with the characters. I was glued to the screen. 5 minutes in, and I felt like I was going to wet myself. I REALLY had to go. It was unbearable pain. I sat there the whole time, and eventually forgot about my pain, and focused on hers. In my opinion, it's one of the best films of the last few years. I was blown away.

... and thanks for those BTS/discussion videos. Highly appreciated :)

well assisted by sound design

Here is a discussion of the sound design. (I'm really pissed that there aren't any Dolby Atmos equipped theaters in my area.)

http://designingsound.org/2013/10/the-sound-of-gravity/

Oh, for a little background, here are the IMDBs for Skip Lievsay and Glenn Freemantle. You may recognize one or two films...:D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0509792/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293634/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr99

Here's a little about Dolby Atmos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Atmos

Oh, for fun, a few pics about how Dolby Atmos looks; (you can't believe how it sounds until you hear it!!!!):

dolbyatmosplan_060844393144.jpg

HARMAN_Gateway.jpg

Traumpalast_Backnang_Atmos_XL_01.jpg

That's one hell of a lot of speakers....

Thanks for the links and pics Alcove!

It's simply amazing. There were times I was looking around the theater. It was just... too real. I also think that the director's decision to be scientifically accurate made for a more powerful experience, especially in the audio design. There was something really beautiful and unnerving about seeing mass explosions and destruction muffled and sometimes completely muted.

It's movies like these that help me understand the importance of audio.

----

I wanna go to that theater :yes:

Oh, for fun, a few pics about how Dolby Atmos looks; (you can't believe how it sounds until you hear it!!!!):

HARMAN_Gateway.jpg

That's one hell of a lot of speakers....

I want one.

Alfonso Cuarón is one of the best filmmakers. Gravity is a nice spectacle. Storywise, it's nice too. Though I have to say it didn't feel all that filling...storywise. But that's not really its objective, I guess.

And I'm not too sure how I feel about the deus ex machina. I mean, I think I liked that scene/sequence, actually.
Clooney showing up and what follows is amusing and touching, really.
Still, I think it is pretty much a DEM, and that's sorta like...cheating, right? However, I do see an argument (excuse?) one could make to avoid it being a DEM. Still kind of shifty, though, aye? ;)

Actually thought about making a thread after I saw it on opening night here in Australia two weeks ago. I too thought it was amazing. Visuals and sound design were awesome.

I was wanting to see an actual sound persons perspective on the sound to see if I'm on the right track when it comes to appreciating amazing sound :P

Did anybody see it in 3D? I have seen it in both. The 3D is a totally different film I thought. There were multiple times where I was the most sucked in I have ever been in a film.

Did anybody see it in 3D? I have seen it in both. The 3D is a totally different film I thought. There were multiple times where I was the most sucked in I have ever been in a film.

I only saw it in 3D IMAX (digital IMAX), so can't compare. That said, I was edge of my seat for most of the movie. There are very few films I get that invested in, but this was certainly one. I feel that without the 3D I wouldn't have cared for it as much - this is one of the few films that is really made better by the 3D I would think.

I only saw it in 3D IMAX (digital IMAX), so can't compare. That said, I was edge of my seat for most of the movie. There are very few films I get that invested in, but this was certainly one. I feel that without the 3D I wouldn't have cared for it as much - this is one of the few films that is really made better by the 3D I would think.

Agreed. I wanted to see it in IMAX but it's a bit expensive to make the trip to Melbourne just for that, close to a $70 adventure

Saw it in 3D IMAX and I agree - it was probably the first movie I've seen in 3D where it actually contributed more than it detracted from the experience (although UP was pretty close). Definitely see it on the biggest screen you can get access to!

Visually and effects wise I'd say this movie is great but story wise it's bland. Plus it has such a bland title too might as well have just called it Space. The marketing for this movie was hyped up too much and in my opinion didn't deliver. James Cameron called it the "best space movie ever". I think Mr. Cameron should go home and watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. But then again I can't stand James Cameron so I almost never listen to a word he says about movies. I think this movie is a popcorn movie.... A movie you watch once and then come back too a couple years later when its shown on tv. Overall the movie was okay. I would've liked a better story line.

I'm sure they'll make a killing at the box office and be up for some awards.....Oh joy.

Live Long and Prosper.

Visually and effects wise I'd say this movie is great but story wise it's bland. Plus it has such a bland title too might as well have just called it Space.

I disagree. Gravity is one of the most intelligent and well chosen titles that I've heard. The gravity that the title is referring to is not physical, but metaphorical. Ryan's grief from her losses is held down and suppressed. As the story progresses, those emotions are let free, go haywire, and fall apart. Throughout her journey, she begins to take control of her emotions, and move forward from the tragedies that have gone on in her life.

Last edited:
I only saw it in 3D IMAX (digital IMAX).

Damn... I didn't realize I could have seen it at an Imax. Wow, I would have gone.

I saw it in 3D in an Ultra AVX screen here in Vancouver - very big screen and we sat right in the middle 6-8 rows back from the front. Amazing but still no where near as good as an Imax.

Story-wise I got to agree that I would have made a few changes.
I would not have killed George Clooney so quickly and I would have changed the crazy-person-on-radio scene to a different character...
Regardless, it was one stunning movie and it kept me spellbound.

Gravity is an excellent film! I saw it on opening night, with much anticipation, and it didn't disappoint. It is, as of now, my 2nd favorite movie of the year (The World's End is #1).

The visuals are pretty to look at and all, but I think some of you aren't giving Cuaron credit where it is due. For me, the strength of the movie is in how effectively it puts us right next to Bullock in such a state of deep and utter despair. Her desolation and loneliness punched me right in the chest, building up to a VERY emotionally satisfying ending.

The technical wizardry on display is fantastic, but only because it is used in a manner that allows Cuaron and Bullock to tap into our hearts. There's a lot of passion in this movie, and I love it for that! :)

Gravity is an excellent film! I saw it on opening night, with much anticipation, and it didn't disappoint. It is, as of now, my 2nd favorite movie of the year (The World's End is #1).

The visuals are pretty to look at and all, but I think some of you aren't giving Cuaron credit where it is due. For me, the strength of the movie is in how effectively it puts us right next to Bullock in such a state of deep and utter despair. Her desolation and loneliness punched me right in the chest, building up to a VERY emotionally satisfying ending.

The technical wizardry on display is fantastic, but only because it is used in a manner that allows Cuaron and Bullock to tap into our hearts. There's a lot of passion in this movie, and I love it for that! :)

+1

I really like when people use sound and great visuals to assist a story, not to cover up poor writing and an uninteresting concept.

Back