• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Got a shoot coming up in Vancouver but no camera movement equipment.

I took an opportunity and getting on a plane to Vancouver to do a shoot. But I am taking a commercial plane their and I can only bring on so much stuff really. I don't have any room to bring a dolly or jib, but just a tripod at best. So my equipment is very limited. I wanted a slider but the trip is in two weeks and I don't think I can get one by then. Maybe they will have a store in Vancouver that sells camera movement equipment, but not likely since it seems like it always has to be ordered.

Some shots I can see as dolly shots, such as dollying into a location or onto a character. It emphasizes a certain emotion and feel. I don't think that a tripod pan or tilt can replicate the same feel, but maybe it can, if I do it right?

I'm just trying to think what do I do when I only have a tripod.

Thanks, but those are expensive to be ready all the time like that. There is this store:

http://www.camerarentalsvancouver.com/

I was told by an actor that you have to making an official movie with permits, before they let you rent anything there. Where as mine is really not with permits or official at all.

I hope that's not true and that I can rent based on ID and money alone.

But, what if it's a worst case scenario and I don't end up getting anything? Can some pan, tilt, and static shots suffice, and still make a good movie? I am not doing all the shoot their, just certain parts, so there will still be plenty of jib and crane shots in other areas. I was thinking of saving the money used for rentals in case I need it for anything but if I must absolutely have a slider or jib to make that much better of an impression to pros, than I will.

Last edited:
You pack it all into a couple of boxes and ship via UPS or FedEx to your motel/hotel/flophouse.

Of course, renting is what you should be doing, but you've already given your "But, but, but" excuses, haven't you?

It literally says right in the middle of their home page:

"Fast, simple and affordable!
No insurance needed
No credit card holds
Students / Indie filmmakers welcome!"

So no, I think you'll be fine without permits. But their FAQ says they require a canadian drivers license or passport to rent, so if you don't have one of those you'll need to bring someone who does.

They have all kinds of other interesting and important information in their FAQ. It's amazing how a few minutes spent reading can answer so many, many questions...

And if you're renting for more than two days they aren't really any cheaper than the online options I linked above.

But, what if it's a worst case scenario and I don't end up getting anything? Can some pan, tilt, and static shots suffice, and still make a good movie?

Many good movies have been done with nothing more than pans, tilts, and static shots. Many bad ones as well. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the presence - or absence - of camera movement in a film has absolutely nothing do do with whether it ends up being a good film or not.

Yeah but that's what the last rental store said, then you get their, they are full of hidden surprises. So I am just wanting to plan ahead just in case. I emailed the store, and will see what they say.

Last edited:
I always take 2 two small tools with me that will give me all options of camera movement.
With that there is never any problem with the size of my luggage :)

Last edited:
This should go without saying but do not check your camera! Carry it on the plane with you.

You have been warned, I better not see a post from you titled "Help, my luggage was lost! Where can I find a camera in Vancouver?"

I've used a skateboard (even a pair of them under a tripod -- 2 legs on one, 1 on the other).

I've used a wheel chair.

I've used a loading cart.

I've used a carpet that I've pulled from one end.

Your tripod can act as a handheld stabilizer by hanging it in the circle formed with your thumb and forefinger.

You can pull up one leg of the tripod and push it forward on the other two to get a slider in move (or the other way to get a slide out).

A slow moving car works well.

Suspending it from a cable, then using guide lines from below to keep it pointed where you want it would allow you to pull it up/down as if it were on the end of a crane... bit risky, but sometimes it's just the shot you need.

Back