GoPro Camera for 2.7K Feature Filming?

Hi Folks, I see alot of threads about the GoPro camera and it seems alot of folks here own one (or more!)

I'd love to hear opinions about using a GoPro for my full length feature film. The primary reason is the 2.7K feature and its price so I can test it for hours. My film has some parameters that I think make filming much easier:

1) It will be shot 99% on a set, the set is actually the interior of a coffin shaped escape pod. Pretty much face shots most of the time with some of the pilot lying within the pod. So almost no zooming at all.
2) There will also be shots of an LED computer screen (the pilot's interface)
3) One action sequence - an automated CPR device will work at about 80 beats per minute on the pilot's chest.
4) Pics of the pilot from the Escape Pod's AI (think HAL 9000) so maybe the fisheye effect might be useful here.

So if these are the parameters, what do I need to do to make filming in 2.7K with a GoPro turn out well? Hoping I actually don't need any extra lenses. Can I avoid the fisheye and still have 2.7K? What are my options for sound? Any post issues with GoPro?

Before I buy I wanted to see if there was a chance in hell of making this work well. Thanks all!

Last edited:
You'll need external sound, onboard isn't useful for anything serious.

You can choose from 3 different field of view settings, the widest is somewhat fisheye but from medium down there's not much distortion. I think medium may be the tightest you can get and still shoot 2.7k.

The newest version (Hero 3+ black) has an improved lens that definitely picks up more detail, so it's worth getting that one. You'll also probably want to run in protune for the best dynamic range, but it can be a little noisier so you'll want to plan for noise reduction in post (probably Neat Video).

Biggest drawback is that you don't really have any control over exposure, it's all auto. In a controlled environment it's probably not too much of an issue, but you could get visible exposure pumping if the overall brightness of your scene changes.

Last edited:
GoPros are great and the introduction of the new sensor in the Black Edition brought a nice cinematic look to it. And if you'll be in a more controllable environment like you stated then lighting shouldn't be that big of an issue. However, shooting with the GoPro just to get the 2.7k, I would say, isn't a better trade off than to shoot with lets say a DSLR, and have the ability to manually focus, change lenses, ISO, f-stop, etc.

It all depends though on the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. I would look around on YouTube to see films shot solely on the GoPro so you can get a better idea of what the camera will do for you.

If you were to shoot with it, getting rid of the fish-eye look is real easy (YouTube has many tutorials), and the ability to shoot in 2.7k Cine mode makes your picture more flat, allowing for better color correction opportunities. As for sound, you'll most definitely want to use an external source, lavs, boom, or whatever suits your fancy (if you're not sure, I'd recommend researching sound recording for film). The GoPro's built in mic is good for nothing more than reference audio.

To give you an idea, here's a short I shot entirely on the HERO3 Black Edition @2.7k --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdXWhygkKc

And another that I shot half with the GoPro and half with a 60D --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3oE_tC9Dg
Hi Folks, I see alot of threads about the GoPro camera and it seems alot of folks here own one (or more!)

I'd love to hear opinions about using a GoPro for my full length feature film. The primary reason is the 2.7K feature and its price so I can test it for hours. My film has some parameters that I think make filming much easier:

1) It will be shot 99% on a set, the set is actually the interior of a coffin shaped escape pod. Pretty much face shots most of the time with some of the pilot lying within the pod. So almost no zooming at all.
3) One action sequence - an automated CPR device will work at about 80 beats per minute on the pilot's chest.
4) Pics of the pilot from the Escape Pod's AI (think HAL 9000) so maybe the fisheye effect might be useful here.

So if these are the parameters, what do I need to do to make filming in 2.7K with a GoPro turn out well? Hoping I actually don't need any extra lenses. Can I avoid the fisheye and still have 2.7K? What are my options for sound? Any post issues with GoPro?

Before I buy I wanted to see if there was a chance in hell of making this work well. Thanks all!

It's definitely possible, just make sure you have a well prepared crew, incredible comfort with the camera, a solid plan, and ESPECIALLY an audio plan. Be prepared to do lots of syncing and editing. You might want to consult one of the audio guys and ask them for help.

I think it's a good idea because, well, the camera is small and has a wide angle lens, so, there's an upside.

All of your questions can be answered by testing it out yourself. So, go. Go out and test and see what works.

Thanks for all the great replies.

So I figure I would be shooting in Medium view to avoid fisheye. There are two 2.7K modes, 30 fps and 24 fps. I hear alot of great things for the 30 fps but little about 24 fps which I assume is 2.7K cinema mode. Should I be filming in 2.7K 24 fps anyway or 30 fps and post process it to 24 fps?

Also, any recommendations for sound accessories to attach to the GoPro? Thanks again all!

If you want to end up at 24 fps, shoot at that - 24 is the standard for cinema work. The only reason you might want to shoot at 30 is if you're planning to slow it down to 24 for a slight slow motion, dreamy look.

You don't want sound accessories for the GoPro - onboard recording just isn't high enough quality even with external mics. You want an external recorder - the most popular ones for very low budget production are the Tascam DR40 or DR100, or Zoom H4n or new H6. These run $2-400 each. Add shotgun/hyper/lav depending on your shooting situation.

Then you'll want to use Pluraleyes in post - it'll match up the rough audio from the built-in mic on the GoPro with the audio from your recorder and sync it all up for you automatically.

Great advice from the folks above.

Be warned that you will need to light your scene well.

I shot a night scene with a GoPro (Hero 3+ black) recently and the footage was unusable. In low light, the GoPro will automatically increase the ISO - it did just that in my scene, to such an extent that the footage was unusable.

I shot the same scene with my Canon 6D and a 1.4 lens and got decent footage.

Thanks again for the advice. The external recorder sounds like a great option.

@IndiePaul, question on the low light filming -- were you on 2.7K mode? Not sure, but the GoPro website describing the Auto Low Light function doesn't list one for 2.7K mode. Hoping I can shut it off at that resolution.

In any case, I've decided to take the plunge and I ordered one! Thanks so much for all you help. I'll be sure to tinker with it a lot. :D

@IndiePaul, question on the low light filming -- were you on 2.7K mode? Not sure, but the GoPro website describing the Auto Low Light function doesn't list one for 2.7K mode. Hoping I can shut it off at that resolution.
No I was not shooting in 2.7k mode. But if you have low light scenes test them out before you get your talent and crew in.

Good luck! Let us know how things go.

Great Info about GoPro Camera for 2.7K Feature Filming,Great Info about GoPro Camera for 2.7K Feature Filming, some information about gopro " I have it's , it's good on my hand

For our overnext project, we will use the 2014 GO PRO HERO4 LENSE-changer-M
and hope they have the eggs and build it. More bITRATE and some litte GEAR
on it and we have it. ( viewfinder/ robocontroll/heliscreena/ etz)
GO PRO you are so close to the fat rats.. do it.
buy.gif

Back