good 2/3rds movie or great ending?

which would you rather be apart of, an oscar type movie but crappy ending that people hate or an okay movie with a great ending that will leave people talking for a long time? WHY?

ill be back with mine later.

..of course you get involved with the one with the great ending that has people talking. I mean, can you off the top of your head say who won the Oscar in 1989?....

...btw, I just looked this up: in 1989 Rain Man won the Oscar. That year 'Do The Right Thing' and 'Sex, Lies and Videotape' were also in theaters...

--spinner :cool:

The big problem with this is that you won't know if people hate or love anything until long after you've done your bit. So of course it's not based on what other people think, it's what you think when you're reading the script. I'm nitpicking, I know, but in applying this hypothetical to a real life scenario...

I'd pick the script that seemed strongest and a flat ending will kill a movie, you have to build to the climax and I'd pick the script that gives me a climax, so to speak.

The Sixth Sense was shut out at the Oscars after a fistful of nominations - can anyone name the screenwriter who won that year over M. Night? What film won over it that year? What actor won over Haley Joel Osment?

The people involved in that will be remembered forever based on a great ending. Not to dismiss the overall quality of the film, but it's the twist that gives the movie it's staying power.

one movie that comes to mind that has a decent story for the most part but bombed at the end is contact with jodie foster. any yall remember this movie? they draw you in and draw you in and then you find out... its her dad, sorry to spoil the ending, well not really cause i dont want anyone to see this disappointment if you havent already. but give me a break give me some one that we care about, not a long lost relative, woopdee doo, im sorry but i love jodie and cant stand itr when she makes a bad movie. :tear:
spinner hold me ;)

HOLD ON! I love Contact. I own it, and the original Sagan book. The point of the ending...OK prior to the cheezy field trip at the observatory thing... When the climactic Senate hearings take place and Matthew sticks up for her... It's all about hope. She found something to believe in, he already had that. What form the alien takes is secondary.

The film provides a platform, a jumping off point, for greater thought and discussion about belief and hope- at least to me.

For me, it is all about STORY and people I care about. I am currently working on the panel for an indie film fest's screenplay competition. I am wading though stacks of other people's work and (worse) having to grade it.

So far, only ONE screenplay from the bin has really effected me. Interestingly, it's ending needs work, in my opinion, but I LOVE THE STORY AND THE CHARACTERS. Give me people I can care for and a good story and I am hooked. :)

Examples: Still Breathing, Love Actually, The Guru, The Abyss, Appollo 13, Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, Sunset Boulevard, Interview With A Vampire, Citizen Kane, Under The Tuscan Sun, A Beautiful Mind, The Last Samurai, Rock Star, Boogie Nights, 25th Hour (which I hated the ending of, btw),... Oh, and another Oscar pick -Henry V (K, Branagh)... And on and on ... :)

ok ok i see your problem, if you can like rock star, the guru, interview with a vampire, hi im keanu trying to do a english accent, but still sound like im in bill and teds, all that said contact good 2/3rds movie poopy ending.

Differnent foods taste different in different people's mouths, Tex.

I liked Rock Star simply because of the hilarity of Marky Mark and the small role from Steven Jenkins from Third Eye Blind.

I'd go for the good ending. I hate loose ties.

Spatula said:
I liked Rock Star simply because of the hilarity of Marky Mark and the small role from Steven Jenkins from Third Eye Blind.

...if you liked Rock Star, have you seen Almost Famous? If not, get this. I think you would love it and not a bad ending...

--spinner :cool:

Contact is a fantastic flick. :cool:

The Sixth Sense was a thoroughly enjoyable film, but had no surprises. Barely minutes into it, and I was already thinking, "Jacob's Ladder, here we come!."

People's opinions vary... which is a good thing. If everyone thought the same, all movies would be identical.

[QUOTE=, hi im keanu trying to do a english accent,

Keanu wasn't in "Interview" and his accent was deplorable in "B.S. Dracula", and in "Dangerous Liasons" for that matter. That's not the point though- Character driven storylines are what appeal to me, so as I said, I'd take the great story with the flawed ending- I'd try to fix it of course- but that's what I'd rather do.

But hey, I like films like "The Guru" so what do I know? :)

It all depends in the position I had in the film.. If I was going for clout and value to myself as an, editor let's say, I would go for the Oscar. Why? Because next time someone wants to hire me, I can up the price a little since film "X", which I cut, won or was nominated for an Oscar.

BUT If I was Writer, Director, DP, etc, I'd want to make the best film possible. I guess it starts with the Writer.

As producer, I'd go for the Oscar because of mo money, mo money, mo money!

However, when it comes down to making a movie, I read the script. If the entire thing is great then I'd do it... If it was OK then flubbed at the end... I'll pass, Oscar or not.

Keanu wasn't in "Interview" and his accent was deplorable in "B.S. Dracula", and in "Dangerous Liasons" for that matter. That's not the point though- Character driven storylines are what appeal to me, so as I said, I'd take the great story with the flawed ending- I'd try to fix it of course- but that's what I'd rather do.

But hey, I like films like "The Guru" so what do I know? :)[/QUOTE]

well both movies sucked

but im just joking, i like giving people a hard time, i like playing Devils Advocate, now theres an ok keanu movie, can anyone say charlize, i thank you.

Back