Going After IMDB Credit with Withoutabox.com

After getting nowhere with the NYTVFF, I entered a re_edited version into the Bare Bones Film and Music Festival this past week. Withoutabox.com claims Bare Bones is one of the festivals that should get us our IMDB credits. It is on a list of festivals on their web site they recommend for IMDB Credits.

Fingers crossed.

I was gonna make the page for my film on my own but to my surprise, I saw that it already has one. And that was probably from submitting to festivals.

I was surprised because I thought Withoutabox was gonna send me a notification or something, which they didn't. Or that the film would only get IMDB credit when it gets accepted (which apparently was not the case).

Have you entered the film to other IMDB qualifying festivals before? If so, your film should already have an IMDB page. Try googling it.

Dude, $2 and an IMDB credit will get you a cup of coffee. For perspective, my dog is on IMDB.

To answer your sort-of-question, yes, there are a number of fests listed on WAB that will get you an IMDB listing, just by submitting. You don't have to do anything to follow-through to make sure it happens. It'll happen.

However, it's a temporary listing. They give you a good deal of time, but eventually they're going to send you an email asking if your movie has gotten into any fests, if it's screened anywhere else otherwise, etc. Long story short, IMDB still has its qualifications for listing a movie. Submitting your movie to a qualifying fest will get you an IMDB page, but your movie needs to meet IMDB qualifications in order to keep that page.

I ain't gonna lie, an IMDB page is fun. It kinda makes it feel like you made a real movie, I get that. :) I'm only trying to let you know that you shouldn't make any huge efforts just to get listed on there, cuz it really doesn't benefit you anything.

I've had a short that has screened at a bunch of fests and has won awards... but hasn't got an IMDB page. (kinda miffed as it was touted as one of the prizes for the top 10 entries -- never happened, I even tried submitting it myself - nothing). Too bad, I've worked with a couple of actors who are working professionally.

Dude, $2 and an IMDB credit will get you a cup of coffee. For perspective, my dog is on IMDB.

To answer your sort-of-question, yes, there are a number of fests listed on WAB that will get you an IMDB listing, just by submitting. You don't have to do anything to follow-through to make sure it happens. It'll happen.

However, it's a temporary listing. They give you a good deal of time, but eventually they're going to send you an email asking if your movie has gotten into any fests, if it's screened anywhere else otherwise, etc. Long story short, IMDB still has its qualifications for listing a movie. Submitting your movie to a qualifying fest will get you an IMDB page, but your movie needs to meet IMDB qualifications in order to keep that page.

I ain't gonna lie, an IMDB page is fun. It kinda makes it feel like you made a real movie, I get that. :) I'm only trying to let you know that you shouldn't make any huge efforts just to get listed on there, cuz it really doesn't benefit you anything.

It is a big deal to actors. I am doing it for my cast because it is important to them to help them find work.

They believe it will. That's what counts.

IMDB Credit was also one of my advertised perks for being in the production.

So, I have to follow through because I want my word to mean something in this business.

While it won't help them to find work, it does add credibility to what they (the actors) put on their resume. Rightly or wrongly, people do check credits on IMDB (producers, casting people, etc). When we were casting my movie, the first thing the casting director did when she got a resume was looking the person up on IMDB.

I actually just got an IMDB for The Kohlman Files WITHOUT going through Withoutabox. First time to try (all other films got it via withoutabox) and it was approved in like 3 days. I was shocked.

I think they (IMDB) has gotten easier to work with because they're now owned by Amazon, which is concerned more about marketing/sales than pain-in-the-ass gatekeeping.

I regularly update photos, awards, etc. and I'm amazed at how quickly things go through.

I don't think so. I did go into it (this most recent one not done via withoutabox) with 3 director credits, a established credited production company, and a couple of outside credits nor from my own productions. I also, per someone else's advice, referenced the Facebook page for Kohlman Files as an "Official website".

Bare Bones confirmed requirements have been met. No action yet from withoutabox.com or IMDB, so I emailed them to find out why there is a delay and when will the IMDB page get posted. IMDB needs an authorization code from withoutabox.com to post the page from what I am reading on the help part of their web site.

Back