Gh3 or Hacked Mark 2

I was all set to purchase the gh3 and 20mm lens, adapter for some old nikon lens', but does my best friend's Canon Mark 2 with 3 $1500 lens each, with this new hack, something I should consider? I can use the $2500 for motels and a stipend for my actors. Then, how do I go about this hack, I've read there are other hacks year or so, do I do all this, also, do I purchase a storage devise. What is that set up?
I regard your advise highly. Also,could spend money on a computer specifically for the film, but that will be in another forum.
Thanks Vows

Vows - the modified 5D Mark II (as low as $1367 used at Amazon) is producing some gorgeous images:

http://vimeo.com/66577982

But if you don't know where to download the ML file or what storage medium the 5D MkII uses, buying one will probably delay your planned production start date while you take the time needed to figure out:

- how to modify the camera
- what its new capabilities and limitations are
- how to store and manage massive RAW files
- RAW post production work flow

I am not anti-RAW (I have a $995 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera on order, which is due to get an upgrade to CinemaDNG RAW after release), but the $1298 GH3 will give you great images right out of the box - and be a lot easier to deal with.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
Only way to really know is to download the hack and try it out yourself, but it's going to add a significant amount of complication to your workflow, and it's still in an early phase so there could be a lot of issues. The hack seems to work much better overall on the 5DmkIII than the mkII.

Maximum run time is about a minute, no audio is recorded so you'll need to slate everything and sync manually, there are limited resolutions to work with, you need faster and larger cards, frames seem to be dropped occasionally, and aliasing/moire can be worse because of the increased detail. Plus you need to convert the raw first to cinemaDNG, then process that through adobe raw to render to something for editing.

So if you're actually planning to shoot something soon, I'd say you're better off going with your original plan.

Thanks, I'll stop the shipment of the camera. I planned on a June 1oth to purchase, so I will wait and see if another gamechanger will come forward. G3 and my tascam, gives me two months of practise.
Thanks
Vows

Still another common question...sorry.

:)When I get the Gh3, will there someday be a hack for that? Do I purchase a 7'' screen or can I run it out through a computer, or is focus through the LCD or viewfinder? Since 95% of my video is inside a studio on set, what should my camera rig look like? I have Tascam, mic off camera, what else am I going to have? Also, does everyone just purchase all from Band H or what? What are your recommendations?
Thanks
Vows

From what I've seen the GH3 is pretty good out of the box; don't know what the status of a hack is but I'd be surprised if you need it - it seems like much of what the hack brought out of the GH2 is incorporated into the GH3.

Don't think you can run it through a computer to monitor. An external monitor is definitely nice to have but the built-in articulated LCD is pretty decent and may be good enough for your needs - you probably should just shoot with what you've got a few times before buying anything else. Same with what your rig 'should' look like - that's entirely down to your own preferences and needs, there's no right answer.

Lastly, If I do everything right, can a final project from a $1300 camera do well at small film festivals?
Also, considering buying a 20mm lens, save money buy the panny, or the 999 voiglhtlander?
Thanks
Vows

I'd say how your film does at festivals has little to do with the camera you shoot it on. The GH3 is an excellent camera and is capable of producing beautiful images - it's really up to you to make the most of it.

As for the lenses I can't help you much there, I'm sure the voightlander is much better, but hard to say if it's enough to matter to you. For $100 you can rent both from borrowlenses.com for a week, might be worth it to get some time to shoot with them side by side. Actually might want to consider renting instead of buying if it's for a specific project & time frame, the voightlander is only $200 to rent for a month.

Vows - it looks like ItDonnedOnMe has answered most of your questions, except a couple:

...Also, does everyone just purchase all from Band H or what? What are your recommendations?

I shop wherever I can find the best deal from a reputable dealer. Sometimes that is Amazon, sometimes that is eBay, sometimes it is Adorama or B&H.

Right now, the best deal on a new GH3 is at Adorama, where you can get the camera body, a 16GB Class 10 SDHC Memory Card, a Camera Bag, a Cleaning Kit, a 6' HDMI Cable, and a Red Giant Adorama Production Bundle for $1299.

...Also, considering buying a 20mm lens, save money buy the panny, or the 999 voiglhtlander?

I would split the difference and get the Panasonic 25mm f1.4. This is a fabulous lens and there is a used one at Adorama for $449 with "little or no signs of wear". New they are $569. This is a much better choice, in my view, without the 20mm's noisy autofocus motor and for a lot less money than the Voigtlander.

Here is what the 25/1.4 can do on the GH3:

Day exterior: http://vimeo.com/55136045

Low light: http://vimeo.com/54185454

Low light autofocus tracking (something the Voigtlander cannot do): http://vimeo.com/60922300

Cheers,

Bill

Vows - If you get the GH3, my vote would be no, unless you really feel limited by 8 bit 4:2:0 in post.

As I said in another thread:

"There have not been a lot of GH3 videos recorded externally because the camera's internal codecs and bit rates are so good. Most people can't see the difference between the GH3's 8 bit 4:2:0 .MOV at 50mbps and the Ninja 2's 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes at 220mbps - so they don't spend the money."

Cheers,

Bill

I watched the pocket camera video about another question on this forum, it was accused of jumping in pans, I saw that, and overall softness. As a career photographer, I tried with my RB67 to get images as sharp as possible, but now I have sittings and often the image is too rich and sharp, if the customer sees it when I give em a disc, (I retouch a few of the best, but I can't on all) I think they flip. I worry about my video movie, looking too much like these images, too sharp, every pore, everyblack head on a medium closeup. Is it as simple as turning down sharpness on the menu of the camera? Where as I liked the degree of softness in the recently posted BMPCC video.
Any Thoughts
Thanks
Vows

Just another thought, when I was in college I shot everything with a nikkormat, then I bought the FM2, and thought I was a beginning pro. It wasn't until I bought the RB67 when my work looked richer and moreover better. Point being, the 6x7 neg was 3.5times larger than 35mm, It never was a comparison. I fear these old rules would extended to the sensor size of all these video cameras. How can the Gh3(and I like video on vimeo posted) with a tiny sensor compare with larger sensors cameras. Tomorrow, I'm going to a Photographic Shop in St. Louis, just to hand hold the GH3 and compare with the canon. Any more thoughts on these comments.
I have appreciated all the help, I feel if I purchased Gh3, 25mm lens, adapter for Nikon lens, extra SD cards, I will go it to my project with quality stuff.
Thanks
Vows

Back