Getting the talent to go to 'that place.'

I am shooting my first 'real' short in October and have just completed casting. It is an extremely simple short with very little story because I believe the first should be as simple as possible while I build experience, although, admittedly I have done stuff on others' shorts including one which is currently showing at a festival. In addition, I have a little professional experience although this was over 20 years ago and as a musician.

Although it is extremely simple, I want to get the best of out of my talent. The way I direct is typically to talk to the talent and try to take them to a place where they 'feel' the emotion from an experience in their life. This feeling then translates itself to the performance which then goes into the camera.

Before the short, I will have a short readthrough (with food) where the talent can get to know each other. I will be showing them their rushes from their performances and getting them to connect with each other as well as share ideas.

So this is how I will be getting the best possible performance out of the talent.

But this is only my method. How do you guys get those pesky things called 'actors' to perform?

Can you not wait for her to finish the other engagement? Like Derek Cianfrance waited for Michelle Williams.

No. Everything from locations to crew have all been organised for specific shooting dates. We have a replacement but nobody like her. Sure, we have replacements for the lead and her but I've never seen an amateur actress do what she can do. Of all the actors and actresses I've met, she was the one where I thought 'yeah, she's going to make it.' P!sser, p!sser, d@mn, b@gger...

Don't get me wrong - we have replacements and the shoot will go ahead but her quality was absolutely unbelievable. Like no-one I've ever seen at this level before.

I was significantly less upset when my wife announced she wanted to divorce me!

Damn, that sucks man. Good that you are going ahead, but maybe plan filming for Short #2 around when she's available! Sounds like someone you really should work with if you can!

That's IT! !!! stay positive! You have an actress that WILL show up. An imperfectly done performance beats a perfectly non-done one every time! Never forget EVERYONE is replaceable, don't fall in love with your cast, else your bound for heart break (metaphorically speaking of course).

I suppose nothing would be so boring of me than if I were to recommend a book. FTR, I have no directing experience and I have yet to read any other books on acting. I know others have been suggested on IT of course. Anyways, I've only just started it, but so far it already has me feeling like a believer.

Directing Actors by Judith Weston.

So far, she's talked about the difference between Results-Oriented Direction [Bad] versus Specific, Playable Direction [Good]. Well, according to her, anyway. So far, what I've read seems to make a lot of sense.

[EDIT]:

I just discovered that Judith Weston is on YouTube. I love YouTube. What isn't on YouTube? It's a promo, but does that matter? She briefly explains and sums up her approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINtpWp_d9w

This is nice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqb14acaA2Q&feature=related

I like this one too. She seems to get to the heart (or surely near to it) of why she teaches that Results-Oriented Directing is the wrong way to go. And it's just fun and moving to listen to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNXgLTbju0U

Last edited:
I was significantly less upset when my wife announced she wanted to divorce me!

It makes me wonder if this says more about the amazing-ness of the actress or how much you didn't like your wife.

Just relax, it's not like this is the only film you'll ever make. Just keep the actress's contact, there's plenty of opportunity in the future.

Edit: What amazing thing exactly did she do anyway?

You see there is this one thing that she does with her tongue...:lol:

You were there! :yes:

She'll be on my short in February depending on timing. The talent I have assembled is good so we will see what happens. I just took them all out for lunch, showed them their rushes, gave them some ideas.

I tried to get them to relax, show them the environment in which we will be shooting etc... We looked at their strengths and weaknesses. Shooting in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
...What amazing thing exactly did she do anyway?

In a one-minute audition without makeup, lights and cr@ppy sound, she touched us and we really felt emotional when we watched her rushes. I was stunned because she realised at that moment what genuine talent is.

My ex-wife thinks what I am doing is ridiculous (she might have a point) but looking at this woman's rushes, she turned around to me in surprise and told me she 'got it' and understood why I was doing this. My ex-wife even shed a tear when she saw this actress' rushes and my ex-wife is as hard as coffin nails.

Don't get me wrong, my ex-wife is a very beautiful woman but as an idea of how hard my ex-wife was, when I broke my leg she was waiting at the hospital to see me getting unloaded from the ambulance... so she could applaud. However, she is my litmus test. It has to be seriously amazing to impress her and this actress nailed it in the audition.

I told you so :lol:

What happened?

She was auditioning for another short which was apparently 'meatier' and at the audition told us she had already committed to go with them first. She is therefore happy to go with our short in February but she will be in demand.

Personally, I doubt she will be around by next Feb because she is so good.

It's up to you now. Play your cards right! It is possible for her to choose to play in your movie no matter what. Depends on you though...
Anyway, this was such a good marketing for your future film... I can't wait to see the leading actress..

It's up to you now. Play your cards right! It is possible for her to choose to play in your movie no matter what. Depends on you though...
Anyway, this was such a good marketing for your future film... I can't wait to see the leading actress..

The lead for the second short was cast months ago. As an idea, the supporting female (there are only three characters) is almost inconsequential but I would like this lady if at all possible to be the supporting actress.

If I can, I will play the lead male in the second short.

I learned how unique each actor is when we held auditions recently.

Some actors, interpreted the sides spot on..didn't ask questions and gave a bad-ass performance. Others got up their and were confused until i explained the premise and character to them and the scene's place in the story...then they got it. Some actors needed and wanted very detailed direction to get where I needed them to go.

Then there was this one guy. I COULD NOT get a word in. He was probably 10 years older than me. I literally didn't get a single word through to him. He cut off my sentences, he got defensive, he questioned my direction...all in the 5 minute slot he was given. He was, however, extremely talented and offered multiple times to help us pack-up (he was the last slot of the day).

That was quiet an useful experience.

Back