Getting Demoted?

I have been directing for about 7 years. I wrote a script for a movie my bud likes. My bud is a bit older and has been directing for 20 years! He writes, produces, directs, and everything. He's also a business man and gets to see the ins and outs of both professions. Anyway for a while he's been talking about assembling a crew to make the film happen. And also funding as well! He told me I could direct and I was all set! But then he said he found 3 other directors interested in the film who have done countless countless movies.

This is when it started to suck. My bud is now screening those directors for the main director role, while I get shafted to AD, apprentice, or even less who knows. I wrote it and put all the ideas for camera and such, I hope I get to keep writing position to. He told me it helps sell the film and that's what all good productions have to go through.

Is it normal for this to happen? How did it turn out if it happened to you? My guess is even if you're really good at directing, lighting, cinematography, and working with actors, they do this to help sell a movie? It just seems strange to me *shrug shoulders*

Last edited:
It does seem pretty messed up. I wouldn't mind if he had just been frank in the beginning. I'm wondering if I can even trust him anymore (realizing exactly when and where he was dodging truths.) Especially with future projects. Like if we decide to make another film, what's to stop him from just getting another director who always has more years on me? I am actually cool with not being able to direct this one, but what's to stop it from just repeating over and over?

I took a look at the other director's work and it didn't really stand out to me. Lots of people who have seen his work made some pretty harsh comments. I'd say his work is decent.

My main thing is- Into The Light has been entrancing my mind for over 10 years. I want to be able to direct it someday. If I let them use the concept for this film, I hope they aren't planning to try to own it. Remember if it does get some exposure the people that do see it only get that 1 first impression.

Is it possible that he did plan on you directing until others said they wanted to?

If he screwed you on this project. Why would you want to work on another project with him? There's an old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

There's only one thing stopping him from repeating it over and over again. You.

Are there samples of your and the other director's work on youtube?

You redoing a project that's already been done, even though you wrote it, relies on what the contractual agreement is regarding this script.

I have been directing for about 7 years. I wrote a script for a movie my bud likes. My bud is a bit older and has been directing for 20 years! He writes, produces, directs, and everything. He's also a business man and gets to see the ins and outs of both professions. Anyway for a while he's been talking about assembling a crew to make the film happen. And also funding as well! He told me I could direct and I was all set! But then he said he found 3 other directors interested in the film who have done countless countless movies.

This is when it started to suck. My bud is now screening those directors for the main director role, while I get shafted to AD, apprentice, or even less who knows. I wrote it and put all the ideas for camera and such, I hope I get to keep writing position to. He told me it helps sell the film and that's what all good productions have to go through.

Is it normal for this to happen? How did it turn out if it happened to you? My guess is even if you're really good at directing, lighting, cinematography, and working with actors, they do this to help sell a movie? It just seems strange to me *shrug shoulders*
To bad this happened to you. See if you can get the chair back. It is you script. He can´t film it without you.
If you friend is not acting like a friend, and acting like a bussiness man, act like him. Be professional and work this out. If you guys can´t work it out, find another producer, or bether yet, produce it yourself!
My best for you!
Newton Uzeda

two things:

1.... Friend or not... put it ALL in writing. Contracts keep friends... friends.

2. If you wrote the screenplay... Did you sign a deal memo, writers contract, or Option Deal for your work? If not you actually have your "Bud" over the proverbial barrel. It's still your script, and without a deal he has no right to use it.

on the other hand.... getting any script produced is a good thing, so many you should just roll over, take the cash and smile.

cheers
geo

Back