Funny conversation

sfoster

Staff Member
Someone was asking for help trying to get actors to read their script out loud. I change the names because I'm not an ass but thought you guys might enjoy the read.

Sweet Dee
Hi How are you? Thank you so much. I can't even get it read out loud.

Sean Foster
Hi Sweetie. How big is the cast that you're having problems getting it read out loud?

Sweet Dee
11 cast members
but some of the parts are so small

Sean Foster
You could get some actors to do multiple parts if they're not in scenes together

Sweet Dee
I can't find a soul

Sean Foster
do you plan to make the film or are you just doing this to help the writing

Sweet Dee
I need a theater to put it on
LOL

Sean Foster
so this is purely for the writing then right. i can see why that is harder to get people since there is nothing in it for them
try offering to feed and pay them a little, that should do the trick.

Sweet Dee
No no
The script is done
I just need to hear it out loud that is all

Sean Foster
yes that is what i meant. dialogue changes a little bit after it's read out loud

Sweet Dee
I am not asking them for anything
but to just read it
that is all
I will do all the writing

Sean Foster
i understand that

Sweet Dee
it's is 100 % my story
Okay
so I don't know why it's so hard

Sean Foster
they're not being cast so there is nothing in it for them. that's why I was saying offering some food and a small amount of money. you've got to incentivize it somehow.

Sweet Dee
if I call an acting school
or a theater company
I am suppose to offer food
say what
Thanks

Sean Foster
I don't do theater but every film project I've ever been involved with provides food to the actors.

Sweet Dee
They are not even acting they are just reading
and the script is so short
It might take about one hour to read that is it

Sean Foster
maybe just some snacks and drinks then or just some money should be fine if it's that short

Sweet Dee
to who
The school
the theatre

Sean Foster
the actors

Sweet Dee
NO NO
I am not a hiring them

Sean Foster
yes you're hiring them for an hour

Sweet Dee
No
Not at all
If they are in acting school
I can provide something for them to act
or if they are camp

Sean Foster
no you can't

Sweet Dee
what do u mean

Sean Foster
you yourself just said "They are not even acting they are just reading"

Sweet Dee
Correct

Sean Foster
so how are you providing something for them to act?

Sweet Dee
That is it
You need a script
and then you can act
Nothing happens without the writing

Sean Foster
well I tried to help, but it's clear to me now why you can't find a soul
best of luck trying to get people to work for you for free

Sweet Dee
LOL
I think you are confused too
Thanks you

Sean Foster
np

It's so funny sometimes how two people can talk at each other and come to absolutely no mutual understanding.

All good.

I've had many conversations that went like this, but I'm always on your side of those talks. They're usually a little shorter and end with "Hold on. I gotta bolt. My cat needs flossing"

If the writer had built up favors with actors, she would have no issues getting people for a table read. Sometimes it's a little tough for writers to do this, but it's still possible.

Okay folks here it is, a new conversation from facebook

Louie De Palma
Check this out. Written, directed, and edited by 17 year old Charlie Day. Remember his name - you will be hearing it again.

Sean Foster
I checked it out.. IMO short films need to be a lot more gripping for youtube. two people sitting down and talking to each other really strained my attention span after a few minutes. Where is the action? Film should be about showing not telling, but this was all telling.
You should also start the content right away.. your content doesn't even begin until 30 seconds in, the average internet viewer will have turned it off before your content even hits the screen

Louie De Palma
You're entitled to your opinion.

Sean Foster
critical feedback sucks I know, but i tried my best to be constructive with it.

Louie De Palma
I think it is brilliant and so does just about everyone who has seen it, which includes lots of good film makers. Over 900 views in less than 4 days ... This kid is going to be famous someday.

It seems I offended him :no:

He is a local actor and was in the film so I didn't want to offend him.

I know a local actor that spams every shitty film they can manage to scratch their way into. I don't shy away from offending anymore (if that wasn't hard to imagine). Honesty is always going to offend. They're either great and your opinion doesn't matter, or their work is crappy and they hate you for failing to blow unicorn smoke up their ass.

I know a local actor that spams every shitty film they can manage to scratch their way into. I don't shy away from offending anymore (if that wasn't hard to imagine). Honesty is always going to offend. They're either great and your opinion doesn't matter, or their work is crappy and they hate you for failing to blow unicorn smoke up their ass.

yeah youre probably right but what if i want to work with him one day? maybe i should have kept my mouth shut and just sent a facebook thumbs up.

funny though, i doubt ive ever had an actor messaging ppl to remember my name lol

That's the problem. You need to decide what persona you want. Do you want to be the kind of person who's afraid to offend on the off chance you may want to work with them in the future? or would you prefer to be comfortable enough to be yourself?

I'm too old to worry about playing these games. Like me or hate me, I'm me.

There's no right answer to this.

That's the problem. You need to decide what persona you want. Do you want to be the kind of person who's afraid to offend on the off chance you may want to work with them in the future? or would you prefer to be comfortable enough to be yourself?

I'm too old to worry about playing these games. Like me or hate me, I'm me.

There's no right answer to this.

I'm right back to where I started !!
except none of the stuff that I wrote.. must all be rewritten.

First things first ISSSS Sweeties age? I turned 33 in april.
There are supposed to be the best years of my life but life has other plans

Comfortahle enough to be myself .. but being myself invovles being uncomfortable offending others!
Yet I do offend if truth and honestly are their kryptonite

by 17 year old Charlie Day. Remember his name - you will be hearing it again.

??

MV5BMjA1ODAzNzQ5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ1ODI4Mg@@._V1._CR171,167,156,217_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Back