Frustration and Lack of Motivation

Hey everyone,

To start off, I'm 16 years old and from the suburbs of Philadelphia. I've shot many short sketches before but never a real short film. I'm looking to make one 8-15min long, but I can never get past pre-production.

I write a 23-page script, review it, revise it, and hate after a week has passed. Sometimes I can't even get even get to finishing the script, and then I hate it. Most of the time, I just get a surge of motivation from a great idea, and then start mapping characters and open up Celtx, then I get extremely frustrated and throw the idea away.

It was my New Year's goal to film a real short film, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete that now. I want film to be my career, but it can't if this keeps happening. What's wrong with me?

What's wrong with me?

Are you sure you're a writer? :hmm:

There's no rule that says you have to produce/direct your own stories. There's plenty of people picking up other peoples' scripts and taking it from there.

I write a 23-page script (...) and hate after a week has passed. Sometimes I can't even get even get to finishing the script, and then I hate it

Also, have you considered letting other people review your script? Maybe it's really good and you are treating it too rough.

Or maybe not; regardless, it can be useful (and therapeutic) to get a third party's opinion.

Good luck. :cool:

Nothing's wrong with you. You just know what's good and what's not. That's why you keep on trashing your scripts. I think it happens to everyone.

It was my goal too this year to make a 'real' short film. That's why I wrote a comedy script. I've worked on that script for months so I'm very emotionally attached to it. But because of all the bad feedbacks that I was getting, and the reality that I can't make this film without money (it was about 30 pages and required a week to shoot), I had to let it go. Good thing I wrote a drama during the madness and here I am now, editing the final film. Trailer is out btw. :cool:

What you're doing is good. You don't wanna make a bad film right? I think you're just waiting for that great script. That's good. Trash the bad scripts. Remember that everything happens for a reason... If I didn't trash my comedy script then I wouldn't be making this film that I'm getting a lot of positive feedback.

My tip is to make it simple. Look at your life and tell a story about it. Do you have a message you want to get across? Like, I'm a big family guy. I love my family. That's why I made a drama about a father and a son. You can do it!

Bottomline, keep going at it my friend. Keep on writing and one day you never know, you might just have a masterpiece in your hand...

I'm looking forward to your progress and hopefully you can share with us what you come up with!

Attention deficit.

I've been putting up with it almost three time longer than you have. LOLOLOLOL!!!

Screw New Year's resolutions.
That'll drive you nuts with constant failure reinforcement.

Start looking for pattern of personal interest across greater periods of time and plan large in depth projects around your own observational "life themes." Those are the only big projects you will be able to come back to again and again to complete.

However, in between those big jumps or loops you need to understand that your short-@ss-attention-span will only allow you to complete run & gun projects that had better get completed in days, maybe a week, if you're lucky.

In business management there's a system to rate entire corporations on their capability of starting and completing new and unique projects: the capability maturity model.

process-maturity-model1.png

What that big@ss chart means is that if you can learn to amass your assets readily about you and implement them rapidly you will have achieved optimalized production capability for short run projects.

You CAN'T spend three weeks on a project your brain won't follow through with any longer than a week.

And don't waste time trying to be a perfectionist. Pshht!
Be a short order cook. MEAT. HEAT. FLIP. BUN. KETCHUP. PICKLES. EAT. GO.
Don't make it a fine dining experience. Run-and-gun.

That's how you do it and the chicks for free. ;)

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'm working on fixing some of the issues I have with writing hahaha. I'd like to go to NYU Tisch for film school (if I can get in), but this is definitely something I need to work on if I want to succeed.

Another problem I have is structure. I can think of great endings and beginnings, but in the middle it's lacking "meat." It's like a human body without any bones.

Here's a recent script that I've trashed. Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?w3fbnh7irm9upv4

That's probably really embarrassing compared to what you guys have written, but hey, I need help - and the high school video classes don't help, I've taken every one. So I'm off to learn by myself on the internet ahah.

Im a newbie in this as well in which i know i got great ideas for films, trying as well to write a script from one of my ideas but i know i got no writing skills in that department.

Meaning on how u explain a scene, how to set it, words to use to give the reader a view of what u r seeing and such.

Another big set back is that i work 55 hours a week, usually from 11am to 9pm and other times till 11pm and i cant keep a clear mind for writing.

I got a book and paper on me at all times for if any ideas pop into my head for a scene.

Last edited:
Sados, that's a good way to get started. Always carry something to write on you. You'll get enough time to write that stuff down properly, in a script or something.

Thinking about writing is a waste of time. You have got to write to learn the craft and get better. That's really all I can say about this topic.

thnx.. i definitely wouldn't mind having a writing collaboration but i know that would be tough, especially do to distance, time frames and other issues that might come up.

So i guess ill have to move slowly and steadily.

Hi Acoui!

I agree with so many of the points above. Great advice peoples!

I cannot stress collaboration enough ... Share your toys!

Like Zensteve suggested, get together with someone who loves writing and who's material you love and see what the two of you can come up with.

I LUV it when I can work with someone who can turn my thoughts into words faster and better than I can ... the ideas get written down and because I don't have to concentrate on the writing, even more ideas flow ... and then they get written down and then more ideas flow ... it's a beautiful circle ... so much more productive than if I have to do it myself.

I do this quite a lot when I'm writing some basic short film scripts. I sometimes finish it, then review it a few days later to see if my opinions changed and it usually has. Maybe shoot some of it, then see how it's looking as you shoot it? You could adapt it after doing some shooting tests?

When I do come up with an idea I like, it's usually through lots of adaption. It never looks anything like the original draft I did for it. Keep trying.

Okay, I'm going to be brutally honest. It's not a great script, BUT it is a pretty decent story idea. The twist at the end is good too.

One of the biggest problems I saw was that there was a LOT of cliched dialogue. Stuff that seemed to come out of everything from B-grade action films to after school specials.

Another problem is the change in Wayne character. It seems to happen too easily. He seems to have come to terms with being bullied for most of his life, so why all of a sudden would he change? I know it has to do with his girlfriend dumping him, but he didn't seem all that upset about that either. So it seems a bit unlikely that not only would he suddenly develop a backbone and become a bad ass, but also that he would have enough harsh feeling toward the girl he loves to frame her for the killing. I would add more development on the character arc for Wayne.

As far as formatting the script, you did a good job, but leave out any kind of camera direction and song choices. I realize you plan on directing the script, but just as a habit it's best to leave that stuff out.

But like I said, it's a good idea for a short story. I would try to find someone to work on it with you to help with dialogue and fleshing the characters out a bit more.

Really good effort though!

Also, have you considered letting other people review your script? Maybe it's really good and you are treating it too rough.

Or maybe not; regardless, it can be useful (and therapeutic) to get a third party's opinion.

Good luck. :cool:

Thats good advice i am my own worst critic in all honesty if i deleted everything i didnt like i would have nothing to film or work on. Thats why i always just keep writing no matter what i think then have a member of my production team read over it and see what others think.

Im a newbie in this as well in which i know i got great ideas for
films, trying as well to write a script from one of my ideas but i know i got no writing skills in that
department.

Meaning on how u explain a scene, how to set it, words to use to give the reader a view of what
u r seeing and such.

Another big set back is that i work 55 hours a week, usually from 11am to 9pm and other times
till 11pm and i cant keep a clear mind for writing.

I got a book and paper on me at all times for if any ideas pop into my head for a scene.

Hey Sados....

One thing that you should pay attention to is your use of punctuation and grammar. I assume
that you desire to become a professional writer. Here on IndieTalk we try to maintain standards,
which include proper language skills. So use apostrophes, avoid "text speak" and try to be more
concise with your sentence construction. I know that right now you're saying to yourself "but
this is just an internet forum." However, presenting yourself as a professional at all times is important
to your image. People won't want to work with a writer who doesn't know even the basics of writing.

How you should have written your post:

"I'm a writing newbie also. I have some great ideas, and keep an idea book with me at all times
to write them down when they occur to me, but have difficulty putting those ideas together in
script form. How do I explain a scene? How do I explain the setting? How do I put across a certain
point of view?

Another issue is my work schedule; I work 55 hours a week, and sometimes more, so I have difficulty
getting into the mood."

Or something like that.

When it comes to finding the time to write you must answer the question, "How important is it to
you to succeed as a writer?"

I know all about tough work schedules and still finding the time to practice my art. In my youth
I worked three jobs and still found the time to practice (I was a musician). The answer is discipline.
I gave up on a social life and partying. I woke up, went to work at the gas station, went home,
showered, went to work as the accompanist at a dance school, had dinner, went to band practice,
went home, did my personal practicing, then went to sleep and started over again the next day.
On Fridays and Saturdays instead of band practice and personal practice were gigs, and then
straight to the gas station from the gig. Sunday mornings I played organ for a church, went
home and went to sleep, woke up, practiced, had dinner, and then went back to sleep. Start
the week over....

This is what you have to do if you want to succeed. The most important part is the daily practice.
It must become a part of your daily routine. Some days it goes poorly, some days it goes well, but
you are doing it almost every day. It's like the old joke; "How do you get to Carnagie Hall? Practice,
Practice, PRACTICE!!!!!!" (BTW, I eventually got to Carnagie Hall.)

The most difficult part is getting started. Once you develop the routine you'll find, after a few months,
you miss it if you don't do it. And now is the time while you're young. It gets much more difficult
when you're older and have responsibilities like a family and bills, etc.

Hey Sados....

One thing that you should pay attention to is your use of punctuation and grammar. I assume
that you desire to become a professional writer. Here on IndieTalk we try to maintain standards,
which include proper language skills. So use apostrophes, avoid "text speak" and try to be more
concise with your sentence construction. I know that right now you're saying to yourself "but
this is just an internet forum." However, presenting yourself as a professional at all times is important
to your image. People won't want to work with a writer who doesn't know even the basics of writing.

How you should have written your post:

"I'm a writing newbie also. I have some great ideas, and keep an idea book with me at all times
to write them down when they occur to me, but have difficulty putting those ideas together in
script form. How do I explain a scene? How do I explain the setting? How do I put across a certain
point of view?

Another issue is my work schedule; I work 55 hours a week, and sometimes more, so I have difficulty
getting into the mood."

Or something like that.

When it comes to finding the time to write you must answer the question, "How important is it to
you to succeed as a writer?"

I know all about tough work schedules and still finding the time to practice my art. In my youth
I worked three jobs and still found the time to practice (I was a musician). The answer is discipline.
I gave up on a social life and partying. I woke up, went to work at the gas station, went home,
showered, went to work as the accompanist at a dance school, had dinner, went to band practice,
went home, did my personal practicing, then went to sleep and started over again the next day.
On Fridays and Saturdays instead of band practice and personal practice were gigs, and then
straight to the gas station from the gig. Sunday mornings I played organ for a church, went
home and went to sleep, woke up, practiced, had dinner, and then went back to sleep. Start
the week over....

This is what you have to do if you want to succeed. The most important part is the daily practice.
It must become a part of your daily routine. Some days it goes poorly, some days it goes well, but
you are doing it almost every day. It's like the old joke; "How do you get to Carnagie Hall? Practice,
Practice, PRACTICE!!!!!!" (BTW, I eventually got to Carnagie Hall.)

The most difficult part is getting started. Once you develop the routine you'll find, after a few months,
you miss it if you don't do it. And now is the time while you're young. It gets much more difficult
when you're older and have responsibilities like a family and bills, etc.

I thank you for the insight on that. And yes, I can admit I do need a lot of practice on grammar. I just finished also posting my opening scene from the script I am working on for some thoughts from the professionals on here.

And I gotta say its a bit sad not to have someone work with you just cause they don't like the way you write and even though that person might have great ideas.

But I guess it is what it is.

Well if you are interested in a short read i posted my script here.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=281343#post281343

Back