Freewill short story read anyone?

For anyone who doesn't know, I like to write. I've written a few screenplays, short scripts and short stories and some other stuff. I also write movie reviews on my blog.

Anyway, the point of this post. Last night, I finished writing a short story for entry into a competition on the theme of Broken Identities. It was written within a few hours, as i'd only known about the competition for a couple of days, so I didn't have the time to re-write it or anything.

The story itself is 7 pages in length. I would really appreciate it if the people here who like to read would take the time to read seven pages, and give a little feedback, just so I know whether or not I have entered a steaming pile of crap into the competition.

Here's a synopsis:

Timi is moved from up North to a new school in South London in his final year of school. He can’t seem to make friends there, and while angry and vulnerable, is seduced by a group of drop-outs who appeal to him on many levels.

With his Dad working nights, and his Mother out of the scene, he is forced to make a life changing decision that he is not ready to make. He quickly learns that friendship and acceptance are not everything, and that the world is a crushing place full of conflict.

Here's the link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37480766/C...-When-You-Fall

I know reading isn't everybody's thing, so I'm not expecting loads of feedback, but even just for a couple of people to read would be cool. Please don't post anything rude or negative, I only appreciate constructive criticism related to the art of creative writing.

Thanks guys, for any feedback.

She shook her head to indicate she did mind if he sat down?
Thoughts should probably be in italics, but I don't think they have to be.
It's good, I like the message, but I don't know that it's particularly successful at arcing. It doesn't seem to have a clear beginning middle end, you know what I mean?
But hey, what do I know? lol

Thought it was really good!

Reminded me of This Is England, But that's a compliment. I love that film and it's narrative.

I agree with the comment above this one, would look great as a film

Funnily enough I re-watched This Is England last night at my girlfriends insistence (she started watching the TV adaptation). It definitely has that edge to it.

Thanks for reading guys. You know, I may adapt it into a screenplay. It could do with stretching out and being given more depth. As it is, everything feels squashed and under-developed, due to the low word limit allowed. So, it won't win comps, but at least i've learnt a valuable lesson.

Appreciated.

Back