Freelance videography questions

Hi, everyone. This is ChocolatePudding's daughter that she mentioned before.

I'm starting my freelance videography business and wanted to know: is it pretty essential that I start this business with partners? It seems like most successful videography businesses have 2 cameramen and 1 photographer as part of their package. I would rather start the business independently since I might be moving to NY soon, but is it safe to assume that my business wouldn't get many clients if I can only offer my singular filming and editing?

Any other tips you guys might have would be appreciated too. Thanks :)

I know plenty of sucessful one camera videographers. Others may use one stationary camera. It's usually about the market you're after, as those seeking lower price points are more likely to hire you. But higher end clients can afford and more appreciate the difference in a one and two camera shoot.

I, and most other freelancers I know, stay independent but make friends with other freelancers you can bring in as 2nd or 3rd camera when you need it. Plan their day rate into your multi-camera quote.

It works well because not only do you get the multi-camera job and pass some work to your friends, but they do the same thing and bring you in on a big job they book. Keeps you busier.

Yeah, you can do it yourself.

And like Paul said, if the customer wants more cameras, you should have some contacts/names of other camera people and how much they'll cost. Then just add that into your quote.

On the administrative side of things, it'll help a lot if you have a breakdown of costs in an Excel spreadsheet. You can have a breakdown of costs, profits for each type of shoot - Wedding, casual, party, etc. etc.

For example, you would have a section for a single camera Wedding - which would include the cost of transport, equipment (you've invested $xK in your camera equipment, come up with a flat rate to "cover" this) and labor costs and any other variables (overtime? "Extras?") you can come up with. Don't forget to mention what IS and ISN'T included (just as important!) in each "package". As the other guys have already highlighted, work in the cost of having secondary or tertiary cameras (and then pad it a bit and call it a finder's fee!)

To clarify, it would be something like:
Single Day - Single Camera - Wedding :
Equip: $100/day.
Transport: $50.
Labor : $150.
Extras: Blah.
Total "Cost" = Equip + Trans + Labor + Extras.
Price = $700.
Profit = Price - Cost

That way, when a Client gives you an outline for what they want you can quickly fire up the spreadsheet and knock out a quote within a minute or two. Then you get rid of the "uh.. umm.. wellllll, I'm not really sure about that, let me get back to you" dribble as well as ensure you're not working below cost!

Last edited:
If I were starting out I'd keep my overhead and expenses as low as possible. I could be wrong, but I suspect most of the potential clients will just take the lowest bid. Having partners to pay could prevent you from making the lowest bid.

Start small and grow a reputation. I don't see people new to the area coming in and taking a piece of the pie from established businesses that easily. Except for being able to make the lowest bid.

Good luck.

Back