Free Viral Marketing for an indie film

Guys ... I've talked a lot about viral advertising for a while now and I'm planning to do a serious campaign for my next movie ... which I'm currently planning ... both the film and the campaign.

Now it's time to put the theory into practice.

So, I'd like to practice on someone else's film.

I'm offering to work with someone who has a feature that is ready to go and who wants to try viral advertising to promote it. I'm prepared to do this for free for the right project. It maybe that the collaboration goes no futher than me offering my services as a consultant, but if required I may get involved in the actual viral production.

All I want in return is a copy of the final viral, if I don't produce it, and some feedback on how it worked.

Just so you know what I'm offering - before I got into film-making I won fourteen London International Advertising Awards for my work as a writer and producer.

PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:
clive said:
Let's just hope that this first film-maker can pull the production together.

If you're talking about me, I'm looking at my post schedule and thinking I'm not going to be done until early-mid spring this year (2006). Are you looking to generate early buzz as it goes on or a full on finished product release?

If you're talking about me

I wasn't.

I've got another film-maker I've been working with who has already had some creative from me, but it needed to get editied and out on the net by today at the latest for the campaign to work.

He had some scheduling problems, in that he was in the middle of another job, so it was looking like this opportunity might pass. If it doesn't come off, I'll ask him if it is OK to discuss the campaign idea here, because it was a pretty neat viral idea and had a lot of the key elements in place.

Who you call'n a cracker!!

You, you cracker!

Actually, wasn't there a famous Marx Brother's movie called Monkey Crackers ... the sequel to Monkey Danishes ... (damn ..wrong thread)

Scene 1: Int: 1926 - Dumont Bakery Ballroom: Day

It is the 100th Aniversary of the Dumont Bakery. The owner Margaret Dumont is expecting all of Montana's society to attend the celebration party. She fusses as waiters rush here and there, singing as they go.

"It's a fabulous party, it's a fabulous, and everyone who's a smartie ... will be here" Waiters exit.

Mrs Dumont's niece, Helena Loveinterest walks in dressed in a tennis outfit.

Mrs Dumont -"Ah, my niece Helen how wonderful that you are here from school to help me celebrate 100 years of the Dumont Bakery. I do hope everything goes well, I've heard that the big game hunter Archibold P Flywheel will be attending"

Groucho rides an ostrich across the shot. Mrs Dumont pretends that she hasn't seen it.

Mrs Dumont
And, I've invited the grandest people in Montana to meet him.

Groucho rides across the shot again, on the same ostrich, but this time he dismounts and hands the reins to Mrs Dumont.

Groucho - Park this in a good spot for me my good man and don't let it eat the Petunias. (Groucho grabs Helen and dips her, Tango style) Ah, the fabulously beautiful and wealthy Miss Dumont. Marry me. Can't you see we were made for each other. With my looks and your money ... well, wonderful things could happen.

Helen
I'm not Mrs Dumont. She is (pointing to Mrs Dumont).

Groucho drops her flat on her back and moves his attentions to Mrs Dumont, who is still holding the ostrich.

Groucho
That's a big bird you've got on that leash.

Mrs Dumont
It's yours.

Groucho (as if seeing her for the first time.)
Sorry Madam. I was talking to the ostrich.

Sorry guys ... it's another failing ... I am getting therapy for it.

Last edited:
Good news ... I've got another company on board for a test viral: we're working on creative and will probably have something ready to go in a few weeks. It's not a film, but it is an indie related product made by an indie film-maker.

So that gives anyone who wants to plug in and be part of the distribution network on this test a chance to think about it. I'll be asking for email addresses from anyone who wants act as a primary distribution point. Even if you can only e-mail it out to two other people I'll be happy. You also have my promise that you'll only get a viral from me if I've already asked you about it before hand.

If we can get a succesful distribution on this one, we've got a potential indie film marketing cartel (always wanted one of those) that could help all of us.

:woohoo:

Clive:
Great news. I'm on board. If you need additional help with creative, please let me know. I have capabilities that might be helpful. I'm very interested in this process. Keep me posted. Good luck!

Maggie

clive said:
So that gives anyone who wants to plug in and be part of the distribution network on this test a chance to think about it. I'll be asking for email addresses from anyone who wants act as a primary distribution point. Even if you can only e-mail it out to two other people I'll be happy. You also have my promise that you'll only get a viral from me if I've already asked you about it before hand.

If we can get a succesful distribution on this one, we've got a potential indie film marketing cartel (always wanted one of those) that could help all of us.

:woohoo:

Hmm indie marketing cartel sounds like fun. Just say when and my email contacts are at your disposal.

BTW, Clive, if you want to let the board know your idea for our film please go right ahead (as long as you don't reveal who gets shot ... but I don't think you know anyway). I'm back from Mexico ... all tanned and relaxed!

Addition of content...

Not trying to hijack this thread but I came across an interesting article on Hollywood Reporter that might add to the thread a bit...

Feature Film Marketing

EDIT:

Quote in the above article:

"It is now about looking at psychographics (rather than demographics)," Paramount marketing president Gerry Rich says. "More than ever, it's beyond just age and gender and about targeting audiences by their lifestyles."

Definition of psychographics:
Even though you may have determined your demographic group, people within that group still have very different perceptions about the benefits or value of your product and will be motivated for different reasons. These differences are known as psychographics. To further target your efforts, you've got to determine not only who buys (or will buy) your product, but what makes them want to buy it. Include as much psychographic information as you can dig up, such as what their spending patterns are, whether they are brand conscious when it comes to your product type, what influences their buying behavior, what promotional efforts they respond to most often, etc. You also want to know how they go about buying it and what you can do to encourage them to buy more. You need this information so you can, in effect, clone your best customers. It is important to really pick apart what motivates them to buy.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back