"Found Footage" style of filmmaking -- gimmick?

Or is it legit? I was heavily-swayed today, in the direction of saying that it is a legitimate style of filmmaking. Previously, it's only been used, in my opinion, to save money on production costs (which is a legit reason, in and of itself).

In "Chronicle", however, I don't see how it could've possibly saved money. On the contrary, it probably added to the production costs. So why in the world would they use it? I wondered about this for a while, after the movie, and I think it actually helps add a real sense of authenticity. These characters felt real, and I think the fake-documentary approach aided in achieving that?

Your thoughts? Agree/disagree? Of course it helps if you've seen "Chronicle", but it's not necessary to comment on the style, in general.

Almost forgot to mention -- I loved the movie. The review I posted on FB:

This movie is great in so many ways! It is easily the best movie ever made in the Blair-Witchian style of "found footage", and proves that that style of filmmaking is legit, not just a gimmick.

"Chronicle" achieves a level of intimacy, familiarity and authenticity so rarely seen in a Hollywood movie, let alone a Superhero Movie. The build-up keeps us emotionally-engaged, and the climactic finale pays off. And if those aren't enough superlatives, I think I can say that the argument could be made that this is the best Superhero Origin Story ever made.

Remember that scene in "Superman 2", when Superman squares off against General Zod, in downtown Metropolis? Imagine that scene on steroids. Solid "A"!

I agree that found footage can (and should) be used as a technique to add to authenticity. And I do agree with you that it is certainly a legitimate style, and not just a gimmick to save cash.

That said, I rarely like it. I'm not interested in authenticity. When I watch a movie, I want to be told a story, not watch the news. I love the artifice of films, just as I love reading a good book.

I recognize that my bias come from the fact that my favorite films tend to be Fantasy, Supernatural Horror, Sci-fi or some combination of those. Those films tend to work by creating new worlds, not just documenting the one we live in.

There are exceptions. I loved Diary of the Dead, which subverted the "found footage" concept by making the characters film students. Not only did that mean the camera-work was a little better, but gave them an excuse for editing the footage, adding music (and some pretty good satire of student documentary editing), while telling a story (mostly about the culpability of the observer). Like you said, using the technique to say what they wanted to say, not just using it to save on cash.

A little more obscure, St. John's Wort (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293478/) blends horror movie, video game movie, and the experience of playing a horror video game. Most of that had to do with the way it was filmed. Your mileage may vary on that one; I loved it, but most people I know who have seen it were less impressed.

So, yeah, I agree, definitely a legitimate style. I similarly did not care for the Dogme 95 films (with a couple exceptions) for very similar reasons. I get what they're trying to say with it, and why they're doing things the way they're doing, but it's just not what I'm interested in when I pop in a dvd.

A friend-of-a-friend worked on the effects for 'Cloverfield'. He once explained to me (back in the days when I had little idea of how SFX were done) about how every single frame of the movie had to be manually tracked before any effects could be added. You can imagine that the cost for this kind of process would be astronomical.

Also, last night, I got chance to watch 'Troll Hunter'. That was quite enjoyable and possibly the best 'found-footage' movie I've ever seen (although I'm a big fan of 'Blair Witch'). The cost of the effects on that must have been just as high.

I do think people seem to want to do found footage because it's cheap, but I think it can be a legitimate story-telling tool.

Of course Oren Peli could have made 'Paranormal Acitvity' as a regual movie. It would have cost more money and wouldn't have had the selling power of the "gimmick". Also, in my opinion, the film wouldn't have been as powerful. I wasn't a fan, but I don't think it would've been half as effective as it was, being a cheap, knock-off of 'The Amytiville Horror'.

I would have to say yes

Lets go back to the first famous "found footage" style film, Blair witch project ( I know there are a few before it).
This really opened up that genre as it was a clever take on the horror genre. They didn't try throwing scary things in your face. You didn't even see the witch! It relied on a good simple story and great performances. Cheap to make but effective. Some people even thought it was real at the time.

Of course Hollywood is going to see the success and go make a f**k ton of them...which happened. Most weren't that successful until Cloverfield. The few that came before it were diary of the dead, REC, the zombie diaries, just to name a few, tried copying that low budget, grimy feel of Blair Witch which did not work.

Someone smart with money, I believe JJ Abrams or one of his goons, thought of another good simple story, but this time had 50 million dollars to do so. It worked. Huge monster attacks a city since Godzilla, and its found footage, and it had a great viral marketing campaign with great secrecy.

Oh, I forgot to mention one that also worked on Blair Witch level, the original Paranormal Activity.

Currently I look at the genre with films like Apollo 18, REC 2, Paranormal sequels and Chronicle, as a gimmick. Here's some more found footage of very scary things (which aren't scary just cheap) or in Chronicles case cool effects and action. It should be noted though that I have not seen chronicle. I'm basing my thoughts on the film from the commercials I've seen and my feelings on the genre.

I would have to say yes

Lets go back to the first famous "found footage" style film, Blair witch project ( I know there are a few before it).
This really opened up that genre as it was a clever take on the horror genre. They didn't try throwing scary things in your face. You didn't even see the witch! It relied on a good simple story and great performances. Cheap to make but effective. Some people even thought it was real at the time.

Of course Hollywood is going to see the success and go make a f**k ton of them...which happened. Most weren't that successful until Cloverfield. The few that came before it were diary of the dead, REC, the zombie diaries, just to name a few, tried copying that low budget, grimy feel of Blair Witch which did not work.

Someone smart with money, I believe JJ Abrams or one of his goons, thought of another good simple story, but this time had 50 million dollars to do so. It worked. Huge monster attacks a city since Godzilla, and its found footage, and it had a great viral marketing campaign with great secrecy.

Oh, I forgot to mention one that also worked on Blair Witch level, the original Paranormal Activity.

Currently I look at the genre with films like Apollo 18, REC 2, Paranormal sequels and Chronicle, as a gimmick. Here's some more found footage of very scary things (which aren't scary just cheap) or in Chronicles case cool effects and action. It should be noted though that I have not seen chronicle. I'm basing my thoughts on the film from the commercials I've seen and my feelings on the genre.

Totally agree.

Just watching the trailer for Chronicle, first blush I said "cool", then started seeing a lot of silly flaws that break the convention/gimmick's own rules. It's totally a gimmick, but a good way to get away with a quick hit/money grab.

Not even gonna lie, I wrote one in about 7 days end of last year and I'm probably gonna shoot it out this year at some point. It's definitely cheaper to do it this way versus traditional.

And you don't even need to worry about audio quality...

win-win situation for an indie filmmaker!

Actually, ROC, in your opinion what would you do? I bought a rode video mic pro for the GH2 for this purpose, but I think maybe I'll also get a lav or two, split the signal going into the camera somehow and at least have a little sound to mix with.

Is that necessary? Someone I know did a found footage short with just the Videomic Pro and I thought the audio was plenty enough for the job.

That's the thing about these you have to be careful about,

You can go out with really amateur equipment and strike a gold mine,

or you can go out with amateur equipment and really have a hard time in post.

The sound designer of Blair Witch Project was interviewed and they really worked hard at adding in the children you hear in the forest, the rocks crackling, the foley, to make it sound like it was coming in through the single mic on the camera. That single mic will not pick up such detail and eeriness that Blair Witch provided.

Somewhere on this site is a post I gave with all sorts of advice on how to make an "authentic" soundtrack for one of these films - good luck finding it...

I would say that a professionally planned capture of set sound along with cleverly worldized and processed sound design in post would be the most effective way of going about it - I honestly don't think a soundtrack straight off the camera would do an audience much good.

Even REC had some very intricate audio work done.

I would say if you had access to a lav for the main character and possibly even the second main, go for it. It's going to make it much easier for the audience to understand the
character. You'll also get some pretty awesome intimate breathing and screaming and whimpering you wouldn't be able to pick up with a camera mic.

What sort of story is it? Are you trapped in a house? In the woods? In an old psychiatric hospital?

Last edited:
No problem.

But you didn't answer my question! What type of story is it?

I can give more advice if I knew what type of scenario it is -

xD It's all over the place, to be honest. But, my sound designer said something similar after reading the script so I know where you're comin' from.

Was more just concerned about snagging the audio.

Sorry, de-railed thread.

Wow, great thoughts, guys. Kholi -- you didn't derail at all. I posted this in the "Filmmaking Misc" section for a reason -- we should be talking about specific production aspects of these kinds of films.

Before I make some responses, I think I should clarify what I originally meant, by distinguishing between "gimmick" and "legitimate". I am perfectly capable of enjoying a movie that is nothing more than awesome visuals ("Immortals"), or has nothing to offer other than action-sequences of sheer spectacle ("Episode I").

But if we're to discuss an ideal movie, I'm a bit of a story-Nazi. Story, story, story. EVERYTHING must serve the story. I know I'm not exactly going out on a limb there, most of us feel that way, no?

Anyway, in my opinion, Found-Footage movies have not been using this technique for the purpose of better serving the story. The way I see it, they've all been a clever way to tell a bigger story, that would normally require a bigger budget.

There's no way you could tell the story in "Paranormal Activity" on a budget of $15K, without using that method. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's no way you could tell "Cloverfield" on their budget of $30mil., without using that method. In these, and every other instance, the Found-Footage method is a creative budgetary workaround, but it comes at the cost of detriment to the Story! In both of these examples, the filmmakers were rather genius in finding ways to work through the limitations of the method, but the point I make is that I don't think Story was their first consideration, in choosing this method.

my favorite films tend to be Fantasy, Supernatural Horror, Sci-fi or some combination of those. Those films tend to work by creating new worlds, not just documenting the one we live in.

I'm right there with you! That's one of the reasons I so liked this movie. It's pretty fantastical. My comments on authenticity were directed at the characters -- these are dudes you went to high school with, and you can empathize with them, and in my opinion, the filmmakers used the Found-Footage method towards this end.

A friend-of-a-friend worked on the effects for 'Cloverfield'. He once explained to me (back in the days when I had little idea of how SFX were done) about how every single frame of the movie had to be manually tracked before any effects could be added. You can imagine that the cost for this kind of process would be astronomical.

Costly, yes. Astronomical, no. "Cloverfield" was Abram's first relatively big-budget production. Surely, I can't imagine he had the clout he has now. I don't think there's any question that the format of "Cloverfield" was chosen for budgetary purposes. With a lot of creativity, they told a rather thrilling blockbuster that shows very little of the actual monster. Compared to a bigger-budget movie like "Godzilla", there are relatively very few FX shots in "Cloverfield", and that was made possible because, narratively, it made sense within their construct.

So, in "Cloverfield", the Found-Footage style didn't make the story better -- it only made it possible for a young producer to make a giant monster movie.

Ponty301 -- I know I'm nitpicking semantics, but actually, I think it's important to distinguish between a genre and a style of filmmaking. The geniuses at Pixar have correctly claimed that an animated movie is NOT a genre. It is a style of filmmaking. A method. Not a genre. I think the same is true of Found Footage. You can tell any story, in any genre. This is just another method.

Silent House looks pretty promising, actually

I sort of got the idea it's a hybrid of "found footage" and regular film.

I'll definitely have to watch that one. But I don't think there's anything "regular" about it. The entire thing is told in one continuous shot! It's Found-Footage to the Extreme! By the way, I think you'd be happy with the audio in "Chronicle"; it's a pretty slick Hollywood production. :)

Just watching the trailer for Chronicle, first blush I said "cool", then started seeing a lot of silly flaws that break the convention/gimmick's own rules. It's totally a gimmick, but a good way to get away with a quick hit/money grab.

Not even gonna lie, I wrote one in about 7 days end of last year and I'm probably gonna shoot it out this year at some point. It's definitely cheaper to do it this way versus traditional.

As to your own project -- awesome! I think there's a lot of mileage to get out of this format. A lot of people think it's a trend that will die; I actually think it will stay around. Regardless, right now is ripe-pickin!

Regarding your comments on "Chronicle", to be fair, you can't really judge it by the trailer. They really didn't break any rules of logic at all. Well, there was one small instance --

There is a scene in which there is background source music. A couple of cuts were made, but the source music stayed continuous. Throughout the rest of the movie, if there was a cut, the source music (and other noises) changed appropriately. To be honest, though, I actually think the filmmakers made the correct decision in breaking the rules in this particular way -- the scene needed an emotional continuity, and I seriously doubt any non-filmmakers noticed the break in "reality".

Otherwise, actually all camera placement (and movements) make perfect sense, within the context of the narrative. They definitely followed the "rule" of every-shot-came-from-a-camcorder. They're definitely doing something different from all of the previous Found-Footage entries, but their break from convention still makes sense. I think you'd enjoy it, actually.

By contrast -- everybody and their momma loved "District 9". I also enjoyed it, but that movie broke the shit out of the method (faux-documentary/found-footage -- basically the same thing). There were SO MANY scenes in which we saw stuff happening in places in which there wouldn't be any cameras (like inside the aliens' house). Oh, well. Didn't stop that movie from being awesome. Anyway, "Chronicle" did not break the rules the way "District 9" did.

I guess the main point of this thread is I intend to ask -- How do we use this method of filmmaking to tell an awesome story? Not just because we want to save money, but because we think this method will better serve the story?

Some of Andrew Kramers best tutorials on After Effects, bullet hits, glass hits, use motion tracking of shaky-cam footage to better sell the effect. It just looks like the FX couldn't have been planned, as they could with static, mounted footage. I agree that this form of filmmaking lends some authenticity.

CHRONICLE.................. What can I say? I loooooooooooved it! I wanted more.

Funny how it broke tradition by having the character levitate the camera to get smooth, sweeping shots! In that way, the quality of the movie gets better and better (handheld, shaky and grainy at the start). As his telekinetic abilities increase (and he gets a higher resolution camera), it yields more watchable footage!

Handheld:
Chronicle-movie-image-andrew2.jpg

Levitated:
Chronicle_-_still.jpg

This movie is almost about the development of a filmmaker, as we see him get better. :lol::lol:

...they told a rather thrilling blockbuster that shows very little of the actual monster. Compared to a bigger-budget movie like "Godzilla", there are relatively very few FX shots in "Cloverfield"...

From what I gather, a huge proportion of the movie is effects shots, they didn't just add a CGI monster to their footage. A lot of it was filmed on a sound stage (I can't be 100% certain, but I was under the impression that very little of it was shot on location), with the streets of NYC being added afterwards, as a digital set extension.

I'd be amazed if having 'Cloverfield' shot as found-footage didn't increase production costs.

Your having brought up 'District 9' does also pose the question of what's the difference between found-footage and mockumentary, and why use the mockumentary style of filmmaking? I mean, who doesn't love 'This Is Spinal Tap'? But was it necessary for the film to be a mockumentary? Did that format offer us, the viewer, anything that an ordinary film couldn't?

I think the one thing about found-footage that can work really well, is the way that the audience can become a character in the film and things can be revealed to us at the same time as they are the character. I think very few of these films offer the emotional connection that the format could provide, but I still think there is potential.

Anyhow, I didn't say before, but I'm definitely looking forward to checking out 'Chronicle'.

Oh, I have a totally different perception of what a 'found footage' film is: not to do with a genre of narrative but a genre of technique~culling the media libraries of the world and editing a work from available footage. I think this is a very legitimate branch of movie-making, but (IMO) the onus of *creation*would lie with the expertise of the editor...and sound designer :D

Not to derail, but I've been working on a short piece with clips from the Getty archives (see comp: http://mishmash.gettyimages.com/en/) and compiling an interesting, coherent short with such disparate clips is much harder than working with footage from a planned project you've shot.

Back