Force Awakens (fan theories)

There's already a thread dedicated to Force Awakens, but unsurprisingly, it's filled with a bunch of hate. What the fuck happened to this place? Are we not artists? Have we forgotten the fact that artists need encouragement, something positive to aspire to? Have we forgotten how to enjoy cinema?

So this new thread is strictly for the normal people who actually liked that dope-ass movie that Abrams just dropped on us on my 40th birthday.

Here's the obvious big question -- who is Rey? Is she a Skywalker?! I know it's being hinted at, and it would fit the theme of history repeating itself, but my intuition is telling me she ain't. I don't know who she is the child of.

That being said, I think she was raised by a Kenobi. Rey speaks with a British accent. That is normally reserved for people in the Empire/First Order. On the good side of the force, only Obi Wan has ever spoken with a British accent. And during the flashback scene, Obi Wan can be heard calling out to Rey, by name. Does Obi Wan have a sibling we never knew about?

Also in that flashback scene, somebody grabs her by the arm, pulling her away from some unseen imminent danger. That hand looks like it could belong to Kylo Ren. When somebody mentions a girl is present on the Starkiller, Kylo gets all angsty and asks, "what girl?!". When the two of them face off against each other, Kylo tries to recruit her. Clearly, they have a connection that dates back to their childhood.

And for the record, I don't want to hear a single person say that it doesn't make sense that Rey could just instantly pick up the Force the way she appears to. She is obviously not a virgin to the ways of the Force. I don't know how, when, or by who, but Rey has obviously received some instruction.

Also, please stop talking about how unrealistic it is that she could compete with Kylo. When the two of them square off, Kylo had just taken a direct hit to his ribs from Chewie's super-powerful laser-bow. Kylo should've died at that point. But he's fucking strong with the force, and that's how he was able to even maintain in a fight against two people.

Here's the big one -- before murdering his own father, Kylo confessed to him that he is so full of pain and he just wants it to stop. He asks Dad Solo if he'll help, to which Han replies, "anything". And that's when Kylo murders his own dad, with tears in both of their eyes.

Is it possible that the reason Kylo murders his father is because that's the last step necessary to convince Snoke that he is 100% committed to the Dark Side? Is it possible that Kylo actually wants the Good Side of the Force to prevail, but his way of making that happen is to go DEEP undercover in the Dark Side? Is it possible that the reason he tried to recruit Rey is because he needs a teammate to help him eventually take out Snoke?

Some of these theories are mine own, some are taken from random things I've seen on the interwebs. There is one thing I insist on - Rey and Fin simply must end up together.

Your thoughts?

who is Rey?

The incestuous love child spawned during Empire Strikes back?

Kenobi niece?

Love child from Yoda and Jabba?

What is C3PO and R2 did it? Could they have made Rey?

Maybe Anakin has a sister, stored in carbonite and secretly released on that craphole sand planet.

Oh... Maybe that crashed Imperial Cruiser and the Milennium Falcon had a Rey baby?

Maybe she's just a pleb who watched too many Youtube "The force in 60 seconds" vids?

Rey and Fin simply must end up together.

So you're predicting a bit of salt and pepper action in a Disney flick.

Fin has to be Lando's kid, right?

I prefer to watch the films rather than argue the potential themes for their sequels.

Me, I'm hoping Fin ends up with Poe. I do like the concept of Kylo being deep undercover, but I also like the fact that he is a Vader fanboy continually tempted by good. It was a nice twist on the theme, and contrasted nicely with Rey tapping into the dark side.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in who her parents are. I care more about where she's going than where she comes from, but I recognize that is in part my own family issues, and in part being a little sick of Star Wars turning into a long series of paternity tests. Great twist in Empire. Used well to satisfy expectations with Kylo. But let's not beat the daytime talkshow tropes into the ground.

Either way, I'm along for the ride. I love Star Wars. I even love the Ewok movies.

Me, I'm hoping Fin ends up with Poe. I do like the concept of Kylo being deep undercover, but I also like the fact that he is a Vader fanboy continually tempted by good. It was a nice twist on the theme, and contrasted nicely with Rey tapping into the dark side.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in who her parents are. I care more about where she's going than where she comes from, but I recognize that is in part my own family issues, and in part being a little sick of Star Wars turning into a long series of paternity tests. Great twist in Empire. Used well to satisfy expectations with Kylo. But let's not beat the daytime talkshow tropes into the ground.

Either way, I'm along for the ride. I love Star Wars. I even love the Ewok movies.

There's definitely been a lot of talk about Finn/Poe. I mean, that'd be fine and all, but I don't see any evidence of it in Force Awakens. Everything about their relationship says best buddy to me. And it's very obvious that Finn has a crush on Rey. To make Finn/Poe happen, they'd basically have to rewrite history. That being said, Luke and Leia did share a passionate kiss, and there was a time when Luke totally would've gotten down with that, so I guess everything is on the table in this universe. :lol:

I'd disagree; when the two were reunited, I was definitely getting a vibe from Poe. I agree, nor so much from Finn, but his entire character arc is that he doesn't know what he wants. In fact, I don't think he ever really does have a thing for Rey, he has a thing for the damsel-in-distress he WANTS her to be. Not saying he can't grow up and get over it, but even by the end of the movie, I don't think he's really seeing her for who she is.

And if we want to go all crackpot theory, when he meets Poe, Poe IS the damsel-in-distress that he DOES save. Could it be that he's projecting on to Rey the feelings he had when meeting Poe? Is he afraid, or just doesn't understand how he feels? Bear in mind that his entire worldview had jus shattered. Hmmm. I'll have to rewatch this weekend, see how well this fits!

Huh. Those are some interesting theories. I see your logic. It's completely the opposite of my analysis, which I'm sticking to, but I totally understand how you came to that conclusion.

To me, the reason a Rey/Finn connection would make sense is also largely because it would fit with the feminism in the movie. In Rey, we don't just have a female lead, but a female lead who decidedly reminds the boy that she's not a damsel in distress. And so wouldn't it be clever if Lucasfilm gave us a traditional boy-gets-girl storyline, except in reverse? Girl-gets-boy. Dudesell in Distress. Flip an old sexist trope on its head.

Back