• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Footage Stabilization

So I'm working on a new piece and was unable to use any sort of camera stabilizer during the shoot (the one I had homemade was broken), so I shot everything handheld for the most part. I took the footage into after effects and used the camera stabilization and sometimes the footage gets too skewed out and wonky looking. Any tips and techniques you all use to make your footage less shaky and less warped?

Here is what I have thus far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29FWKcmOro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K29FWKcmOro

My main problems are with the shots where they are just staring at each other, as well as the over the shoulder shot they is a little bit of odd warping, and I also have plenty of problems with some other shots that are worse which I have refrained from using yet. Will I have to just try and reshoot some things?

EDIT: Also why doesn't the YouTube embed feature here not work...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Warp Stabilizer is the best I know of, but nothing will totally get rid of the weird little distortions created by smoothing out the shaky footage. It's pick your poison to a degree. Shaky cam, or slightly distorted footage.

You don't own a tripod? Nothing in any of the shots in your video required handheld. I would have shot that whole sequence from sticks.

Warp Stabilizer is the best I know of, but nothing will totally get rid of the weird little distortions created by smoothing out the shaky footage. It's pick your poison to a degree. Shaky cam, or slightly distorted footage.

You don't own a tripod? Nothing in any of the shots in your video required handheld.

I'm in full agreement.

Sometimes handheld is a creative choice. Sometimes it's a logistical choice, to get the shot you want. But unless you're truly professional, you're gonna have some shake, and there's not really any way to fix it in post (without getting the weird distortions). So, like Gonzo says, pick your poison. Or get something to stabilize the footage during production.

You should be able to apply the correction to a null, then use a multiplier to reduce the amount of stabilization of the image in AE... adding back a little of the movement may contextualize the webblies enough to make them EVEN less noticeable. My impression is that you've been staring at the footage so long that all you see are the problems. I didn't notice it.

I'm in full agreement.

Sometimes handheld is a creative choice. Sometimes it's a logistical choice, to get the shot you want. But unless you're truly professional, you're gonna have some shake, and there's not really any way to fix it in post (without getting the weird distortions). So, like Gonzo says, pick your poison. Or get something to stabilize the footage during production.

You should be able to apply the correction to a null, then use a multiplier to reduce the amount of stabilization of the image in AE... adding back a little of the movement may contextualize the webblies enough to make them EVEN less noticeable. My impression is that you've been staring at the footage so long that all you see are the problems. I didn't notice it.

I do have a tripod and I used it on a few scenes but I had planned on using handheld to add atleast a little bit of shake, at least for the "action flick" feel to it. But on the other shots it seems like I got a little carried away haha.

Also I may experiment some Mr. Knightly! Thanks!

And alsoalso! I tend to have a knack for "crushing the blacks" especially if you see my other videos. I haven't quite gotten what I want out of the color, but I guess it just takes more time and work, like all things!

Have you watched your footage on different computers?

For example: at 0:11 The guys jacket blends in with the shadows behind and to screen right. And his hair blends in with the dark stripe behind. Cinema is NOT contrasty, try bringing up those mid dark's, so we can enjoy those details... thats my opinion anyway..

Back