• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Five most unusual questions...

I just thought about them, just for fun...:) They are unusual because you don't ask them or at least very few have " dared" asking(I've never read them on the internet, but this doesn't mean they aren't there.). Like I've said, it's just for fun... So, let's begin:
1. You don't live in Los Angeles, but your screenplay is really hot(not mine, it's, like other questions, hypothetical) and many people are interested in it. You have a great phobia of traveling by plane. Will they come to your city instead? How would they(producers, agents, etc.) solve this situation?

2. If you write about a specific topic(like police procedures, military ops, etc.) will the industry people facilitate you access to people having relevant information for you (eg: cops, doctors, etc.) or do you rely on your own knowledge and internet research?

3. If you hang around the same spots or belong to the same social hobby groups, do you have more chances to get access, sort of like a backdoor? How about searching and asking their friendship on facebook?

4. Is it possible to get a romantic type relationship with industry people(eg: actors, producers, agents, etc.)?

5. Your movie has been made and it's premiere day. What will happen to you on that day(event chronology)? What kind of treatment should you expect to receive?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this!:)

1. You don't live in Los Angeles, but your screenplay is really hot(not mine, it's, like other questions, hypothetical) and many people are interested in it. You have a great phobia of traveling by plane. Will they come to your city instead? How would they(producers, agents, etc.) solve this situation?
Unless you're an already established (and accepted eccentric) writer, no. They'll buy your script, and hire another writer to do their rewrites.

2. If you write about a specific topic(like police procedures, military ops, etc.) will the industry people facilitate you access to people having relevant information for you (eg: cops, doctors, etc.) or do you rely on your own knowledge and internet research?
If you're writing on spec, you'll be doing your own research. If you were hired by the production to do rewrites, and they've hired consultants and authenticity experts you'd probably have some access to those people.

3. If you hang around the same spots or belong to the same social hobby groups, do you have more chances to get access, sort of like a backdoor? How about searching and asking their friendship on facebook?
Hollywood is more often than not very much a 'who you know' rather than 'what you know' place. Networking is at least as important as skill, and in some cases maybe even more important. There's a lot of nepotism too, so marrying into a family of industry folk might be a good way to get in through the [ahem] backdoor too.. That sounds a lot dirtier than intended. :lol:

4. Is it possible to get a romantic type relationship with industry people(eg: actors, producers, agents, etc.)?
See above. Of course, they're people too -- though many may not seem that way sometimes.. :lol: Possible, sure, plausible -- that's the real question.

5. Your movie has been made and it's premiere day. What will happen to you on that day(event chronology)? What kind of treatment should you expect to receive?
You'll get a ticket to the premiere (probably).. what more do you want? If you were previously unknown, it's unlikely you'll get a huge amount of attention on the red carpet, not like you are a well known actor in the film. Of course that won't matter anyway, with your fear of flying, you'll wind up sitting home tending to the several stray cats you've taken in, working on your next great story idea. Unless you only had one good one in you to begin with, and then you'll fade back into obscurity again, just another flash in the pan.

...If someone in Las Angeles bought my screenplay, I would crawl on hands and knees to Hollywood.

...A screenplay is 100% your show (unless you hire expert writers). Mozart was responsible for all of the notes. Picasso was responsible for all of the paint. You are responsible for all of the words.

...I have no idea on this one. This seems to fall under the heading of "marketing".

...I was tapping Angelina Jolie on a daily basis before Pitt came along. She was definitely a fun ride, but it got me nowhere in the script writing industry. In fact she became rather clingy.

...I would probably expect a ticket to the Premier (as Will Vincent stated) and I would probably fade back into obscurity shortly afterwards (but with my bird).

-Birdman

Last edited:
I just thought about them, just for fun...:) They are unusual because you don't ask them or at least very few have " dared" asking(I've never read them on the internet, but this doesn't mean they aren't there.). Like I've said, it's just for fun... So, let's begin:

You don't need to be there to sell your script. If you say you can't fly to them, they'll just buy your script without actually seeing you.

Pretty amazed by your questions, particularly the last two.

There are a lot of similarities in the music industry and film industry, so maybe this helps on your first question.

My friend wrote a song and released it on and indie music blog site under a random band name, with no other information, kept it mysterious. The song caught pretty big in the internet music community, and soon every major record label was chomping at the bit to get a meeting with him.

He got a manager, and they both decided that my friend would not take any meetings unless the execs came to him, at his studio. It was crazy because I was living at his home/studio at the time, so I would answer the door in my pajamas to several men in suits.

Granted, the Los Angeles based record labels only had to travel about an hour to get to his studio, but still, if they want you bad enough, they will come to you.

The one exception my friend made was a label based in London, and he gladly took an all expenses paid trip to Europe for that meeting. He turned down their deal though :)

Suck it up and board the plane? Or drive, I guess - if you're in the US. More likely? They send you a contract for the option which you simply sign and send back. Then they hire others for re-writes. Realistically, that's how it would happen a lot of the time regardless of whether you're in LA or not.

Which 'industry people'? If you're writing spec you're doing all your research yourself, and even if your writing has been commissioned you're going to be doing your own research - realistically you're probably want to be doing your own research regardless of whether there's consultants hired to the production yet or not (most likely not).

How many friend requests do you get from people on Facebook you don't know? How many do you accept? If anything, LinkedIn is more likely for a 'cold meeting', but hanging out at the same bars etc. is much more likely to get you somewhere. Meeting face to face is a lot more useful. Being friends with the right people helps, but only if your script is great.

Sure it's possible. It's extremely unlikely as a writer, especially as you're most likely not even going to be on set, or involved in the production much at all once the script is locked.
I've heard of other crew members doing such things, including camera assistants. I've seen Gaffers date ADs, and even dated an Actress myself.
But then, we're there with them all day every day for as many days as they're shooting. If you're a writer who can't even board a plane to LA, I don't know how you'd ever get to the set, in the incredibly unlikely situation that you were invited.

As a Writer, Director or Star? If you're a well known star, you'll be able to expect different things to if you're simply the writer. As a Writer, you'll get (as has been said) a ticket, but that's about it. Depending on how big the film is, it might have a large premiere in the middle of Hollywood where you might get to walk the Red Carpet before all the actors, and may have a few paparrazi (accidentally) snap a couple photos of you

I got a kick out of question four and jax's answer.

Industry people are no different from any other people. They all
have romantic relationships. They all love and marry and raise
families and divorce and argue just like other people. The question
supposes “industry people” are somehow different.

Why is it extremely unlikely as a writer to have a romantic relationship
with industry people? Producers, actors, agents all have romantic
relationships why wouldn't a writer? Not being on set does not mean
a writer is never in contact with producers, actors or agents. Industry
people have lives off set.

What people think of people in the industry is often quite amusing.

Why is it extremely unlikely as a writer to have a romantic relationship
with industry people? Producers, actors, agents all have romantic
relationships why wouldn't a writer? Not being on set does not mean
a writer is never in contact with producers, actors or agents. Industry
people have lives off set.

Ha! I only read the first example (actor) and not the others. Of course, having a relationship with an industry professional is just as likely as anyone else - in fact I find it often difficult to sustain a relationship with someone who isn't a part of the industry in some way, simply because someone who works in the same biz tends to understand the needs of a shoot better (and don't get as upset when you barely see them for 8 weeks while you're shooting full time, or that you need to fly interstate or overseas tomorrow for a gig).

Sure, it's not outside the realm of possibility that a Writer and an Actor hookup, though I would find it unlikely for a relatively unknown writer who just sold their first script hook up with a well-known beautiful actress they'd never met before working on that same film (though I guess it is possible) - which I assumed the question was referring to, although reading it back now it doesn't actually say any of that! ;). There are of course also many other ways writers could come in contact with actors, and certainly writers can be invited to sets.

Writers go to the same parties, premiers, and industry events that actors and everyone else in the industry goes to, so there's tons of opportunity for romantic relationships.

Okay so follow up question, is milla jovovich single ?

Good question.
Just throwing this out there, I was working as a photo retoucher on set at one of her shoots and I saw her nipple. By far the most famous boob I've seen in person.

For question 1, just get someone to drug your milk. That's the standard remedy for reluctance to getting on any damn plane.

In truth, a friend of mine here in the UK wrote a novel which became much bigger in the US and was visited and courted by lots of Hollywood execs seeking the option. Some big stars were attached, but it's still in development hell...

Question 5 is interesting, mainly because of the difference between TV and movies. These days, writers and showrunners on big TV shows seem to be interviewed and receive as much exposure as any of the actors.

I looked up her twitter

Milla Jovovich ‏@MillaJovovich Feb 14
Valentines flowers from my amazing husband!!! The best flower shop in London!

:(

Damn i really thought i had a chance

Just remember, With Mia Jovovich, there's always the chance she will turn back into PLUMP:

fat_milla_jovovich_by_cdbnd26-d3cax7z.jpg

-Birdman

Back