• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First Time being read!

"Chase" was colorful though rather predictable. Its action was more of a 'slide' than a 'rollercoaster'. On the technical side, you used way too much capitalization which made it annoying to read. There were also typos. Did you really mean "Hell has no furry" or "Hell hath no fury"? I felt that the
Mr & Mrs Smith or Archer
-esque story has potential. The events leading to the chase were not in keeping with the genre and felt unbelievable to me though. It felt like a writer's cop-out. Overall it promised but never delivered.

"Strange Frequencies" I found boring. The odd names, which are never really mentioned, did nothing but muddle the narrative. The scenes seemed disjoint. Unfortunately, the characters felt rather stereotypical. I was bored by page four and stopped reading.

You have the potential of being a good writer. You need to think less in terms of 'scenes' and more in terms of 'story'. A story is more than a string of scenes. Unfortunately, both of these pieces feel like they are just scenes linked together. I feel concentrating your efforts on developing the characters and story would be to your benefit.

Why do you write full paragraphs in CAPS? As far as I know, words in Caps are meant to say that the camera should focus on a person/item/action, introduce a character, or write sound effects.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

"Chase" was colorful though rather predictable. Its action was more of a 'slide' than a 'rollercoaster'. On the technical side, you used way too much capitalization which made it annoying to read. There were also typos. Did you really mean "Hell has no furry" or "Hell hath no fury"? I felt that the
Mr & Mrs Smith or Archer
-esque story has potential. The events leading to the chase were not in keeping with the genre and felt unbelievable to me though. It felt like a writer's cop-out. Overall it promised but never delivered.

"Strange Frequencies" I found boring. The odd names, which are never really mentioned, did nothing but muddle the narrative. The scenes seemed disjoint. Unfortunately, the characters felt rather stereotypical. I was bored by page four and stopped reading.

You have the potential of being a good writer. You need to think less in terms of 'scenes' and more in terms of 'story'. A story is more than a string of scenes. Unfortunately, both of these pieces feel like they are just scenes linked together. I feel concentrating your efforts on developing the characters and story would be to your benefit.

I wouldn't want to change the stories just set them up more effectively.

For chase do you think I could set up the growing story differently so it is less predictable but the characters connection stay the same?

And what could I do to strange frequencies to make it seem more mysterious and make you want to keeping reading?

Why do you write full paragraphs in CAPS? As far as I know, words in Caps are meant to say that the camera should focus on a person/item/action, introduce a character, or write sound effects.

I don't know what you are referring to. Can you post an example.

The 'Chase' script is a bit of a mess from a formatting/basic English point of view, but it sort of makes sense (until the end, the weird bits about protests etc.) Hell has no furry indeed :)

The other one is just a mess. I suppose given the topic it makes sense that it's written like morse code with character 'handles' instead of names, but it doesn't help the readability at all. I gave up by page 3 with a headache :P

Thank you for taking the time to read.
I wouldn't want to change the stories just set them up more effectively.

For chase do you think I could set up the growing story differently so it is less predictable but the characters connection stay the same?

And what could I do to strange frequencies to make it seem more mysterious and make you want to keeping reading?

First, welcome to the forum. Usually I elaborate more but didn't have time earlier. I realize it may have come across more abruptly than intended. Second, I understand your feelings but I must say that not every story translates into a film as written. As importantly, you need to choose the proper medium for your story.

With "Chase", the issues that struck me were (1) if you crush someone's toes, they are effectively maimed and (2) if you hit their femur, tibia and fibula with a lead pipe, they're broken. There's no way he's going to stand let alone run. Just sayin'. Further, no bad ass villain is going to let him walk away to get the girl to save himself. Hell, as Andrews I'd suspect a plot or homing device was planted. Especially since he took the villain's car. The elements come across as increasingly ludicrous if you follow the spy genre. Then the inconsistency of p.8 when Miss hasn't seen Emma since she was an infant yet Emma eagerly goes her. That's not grounded in human behavior. All of the characters are flat. While I believe the story has potential, it needs to fill plot holes and become more believable. You need the audience to care about the characters. The impression I get is this: Torture scene - escape scene - chase scene - blame scene - chase scene - final confrontation. Story: find girl - lose girl - get girl. Again, very very predictable and flat. If the story isn't believable and the characters aren't interesting, then changes need to be made. It doesn't mean the hero has to win in the end, but the audience has to care about the outcome.

As for the second, it's too cerebral. I appreciate the message but it won't translate to the screen. I love Ray Bradbury's stories, but watching his "Ray Bradbury's Theater" illustrated how some stories don't translate from print to screen. In this case, you have poor dialogue with too little action relevant to the plot. No names are used in the dialogue, so the rest of the script comes across as jibberish. The best way to understand this is the following exercise. Make a copy of your script and delete all the dialogue. What's left--the scene descriptions and actions--should adequately convey what the audience sees and forms the context for their understanding of your film. Here's a short excerpt:
Code:
INT. BUNKER - WORK ROOM
[COLOR="Purple"]Pa[/COLOR] still reading, reaches out to press the red button.
The timer on top of the machine is still ticking.
[COLOR="Purple"]BUB BUB[/COLOR]’S HAND DARTS IN AND GRABS PA’S. [COLOR="Red"]<-- No need for CAPS[/COLOR]
Pa looks up and Bub Bub points to the still ticking timer.
[COLOR="Purple"]Grand Pa[/COLOR] exits to the bunks and comes back showing the broken timer.
He gets a tool box and yawns.
Bub Bub takes the tool box and timer from him.
Grand Pa exits to the bunks.
Pa hands Bub Bub a can of food and works on fixing the timer.
The timer on the machine goes off and Bub Bub holds his hand over the [COLOR="Red"]read[/COLOR] button. [COLOR="Red"]<-- spelling[/COLOR]
HAM RADIO
The classical music is interrupted by laughter.
Bub Bub presses the [COLOR="Red"]read[/COLOR] button and resets the timer. [COLOR="Red"]<-- spelling[/COLOR]
THE FLIP DOWN CLOCK RESETS. [COLOR="Red"]<-- No need for CAPS[/COLOR]

INT. BASEMENT
[COLOR="Purple"]Rice Bowl[/COLOR] works on a second Ham Radio.
Stilts and Lunch Box are competing to see whose spit can hang down the lowest then suck it back up.
HAM RADIO
The boys look to each other for answers. A spit bomb hangs from [COLOR="Purple"]Lunch Box[/COLOR]’s gaping mouth.
The three boys huddle on the floor around the radio.
[COLOR="Purple"]Stilts[/COLOR] holds his hand up like Spock.
Rice Bowl shows them a picture of Russians in his history 
Rice Bowl looks at his watch and writes the names on his text 

INT. RADIO STATION - NIGHT
[COLOR="Purple"]CRYING MAN[/COLOR], 60s, grey suit, cries in front of a radio receiver.
The office is out dated.
Crying Man composes himself and[COLOR="Red"] lites[/COLOR] a cigarette.  [COLOR="Red"]<-- spelling[/COLOR]
Can you make sense of what this story is about visually? Do you really need confusing names (those in purple)? The names are never spoken. It's unclear with the different locations who is where and when. In fairness, I read the whole piece. I'm sorry but it feels like a really bad Twilight Zone take-off. The dialogue is poor, the characters are dull and the sequence of events don't really constitute a story. I'm not even sure what the story is as nothing of consequence happens. And no one is interesting enough to follow. This one needs to be more fully developed. My suggestion would be re-write it as a short story. I don't feel film is the appropriate medium to convey its message. Good luck with your writing.

Last edited:
Good point, FSF. The anatomical implausibility was another problem with 'Chase', unless the bloke is meant to be a Terminator type.

Also, can a woman in a tight skirt and wearing stilettoes really dig her heel into the ribs of a man sitting on a chair? Maybe I need to expand my horizons :P

Thank you again for the thorough feed back. You brought out that I may not have made something clear enough. Mrs. Andrews knows her child and they were living as a family. When Emma obviously knows who her mom is in the 2nd car and runs to her, do you take it as a plot hole b/c it was not set up well or b/c I'm new to getting reviewed and assumed I missed something?

This and Strange Frequencies leads me to a big question I do have though, how much do I tell the audience? I like sub text for actors a lot, and don't want to be heavy handed, so maybe I don't set up enough? But do I have to tell the audience everything I know by the end?

Mrs. Andrews isn't the villain, she is the protagonist. When I plotted the story she does everything, she's the doer, and she's the one who has a value change, not being able to kill her husband and missing her daughter, to killing her husband and with her daughter. Can I make this more clear?

I'm concerned with telling my story most effectively not changing my story to anything different. Can you separate bad from disliking something? For example, I don't like Pulp Fiction, but it's not bad, i just don't like serious movies or characters.

I appreciate the time spent, and things were highlighted that are important to me, but some of the critiques where superficial based on taste. Mr. Andrews is still able to run b/c I never set a precedent in my world that he shouldn't be, and when you say bad dialogue in Strange Frequencies, do you mean you don't like that type? B/c to me (coming from acting) bad dialogue, is too difficult to deliver with good timing and lacks subtext for my character. Here we are getting punchy dialogue that alludes to cute innocent kids that have been taught not to curse.

Just want to specify what I'm looking for, do I have proper set ups and pay offs, do I hit all my beats and gaps, are my scenes necessary and doing rather than telling, and is the format good. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I appreciate the time spent, and things were highlighted that are important to me, but some of the critiques where superficial based on taste. Mr. Andrews is still able to run b/c I never set a precedent in my world that he shouldn't be

What does this even mean? You show him having his toes crushed and his legs smashed with lead pipes, yet he's able to run? If you mean that your story is set in a world with different physics/anatomy then you don't make this very clear (although the balancing act on the stiletto comes close).

The main problem with the first one is that it seems more like a prolonged action sequence than a story. Which is fine, if what you want is to experiment with making a prolonged action sequence rather than a coherent short film.

The main problem with the second one is that the script is unreadable. It might be great, but working through the first two pages gave me a headache (that's not even an exaggeration), and I gave up before I even reached any dialogue.

Thank you again for the thorough feed back. You brought out that I may not have made something clear enough. Mrs. Andrews knows her child and they were living as a family. When Emma obviously knows who her mom is in the 2nd car and runs to her, do you take it as a plot hole b/c it was not set up well or b/c I'm new to getting reviewed and assumed I missed something?
I state it because that's what your script states.
Code:
Misses and Grandma sit across from each other.

MISSES
            How long?     [COLOR="Blue"]<-- I assume you meant that the Emma has been with her.[/COLOR]

GRANDMA
            Since she was a baby, such a 
            special child that Emma.
I work with new writers all the time. I'm sorry, it's just plot holes because you're focusing on what you feel will look cool and not creating a believable world.

This and Strange Frequencies leads me to a big question I do have though, how much do I tell the audience? I like sub text for actors a lot, and don't want to be heavy handed, so maybe I don't set up enough? But do I have to tell the audience everything I know by the end?
As an actor myself, I use that to inform my writing sub-text to work from. Unfortunately, you have all the backstory in your head so it's not coming across. It's not about telling the audience but providing them clues to guide them so they reasonably learn everything you know by the end. "Strange Frequencies" is particularly lacking in that regard.

Mrs. Andrews isn't the villain, she is the protagonist. When I plotted the story she does everything, she's the doer, and she's the one who has a value change, not being able to kill her husband and missing her daughter, to killing her husband and with her daughter. Can I make this more clear?
Okay, if that's the intention, you need to definitely make it more evident. She starts as the villain and ends as the villain. Her actions do not show any change. A killer delaying a kill is still a killer. If he's the villain, then you need to bring that out at some point. She's even abusive to her own mother!
Code:
                 MISSES
      You will not take another family 
      from me! 

GRANDMA
      You lost this one yourself.

Misses slaps Grandma.

MISSES
       He had no right letting you see her.

GRANDMA
       You can’t keep her in this crooked 
       lifestyle--
This doesn't suggest Misses is the protagonist. In fact, Andrews is the main focus and driving force (protagonist) through the script. Misses simply responds. The sequence with Grandma feels rather contrived. The dialogue doesn't feel relevant to the action. As a result, it comes across as just a scene stuck in between two action sequences. It may feel relevant to you because you've elaborated these characters in your mind. As an objective outside observer, Misses is still a cold, callous and one-dimensional villain. At least with Andrews, it feels like he's working in Emma's best interests.

I'm concerned with telling my story most effectively not changing my story to anything different. Can you separate bad from disliking something? For example, I don't like Pulp Fiction, but it's not bad, i just don't like serious movies or characters.
I don't think you need to make it different, you DO have to make it logically consistent with interesting characters. In reading scripts, I have to be objective. I look at four features: structure (pacing & flow), formatting (spelling, grammar & layout), story (narrative cohesiveness & character development), and marketability (who'd watch this?). This question was discussed at length in another thread about what gets a script rejected. "Chase" and "Strange Frequencies" have interesting elements but fall short in all areas.

I appreciate the time spent, and things were highlighted that are important to me, but some of the critiques where superficial based on taste. Mr. Andrews is still able to run b/c I never set a precedent in my world that he shouldn't be, and when you say bad dialogue in Strange Frequencies, do you mean you don't like that type? B/c to me (coming from acting) bad dialogue, is too difficult to deliver with good timing and lacks subtext for my character. Here we are getting punchy dialogue that alludes to cute innocent kids that have been taught not to curse.
The genre and environment set the precedent. If they had used rubber hoses, fine, I'll buy into it. Not lead pipes. Audiences will suspend disbelief in proportion to the degree of expectation. If I learned Andrews was superman, yeah, I'd agree. Would his toes be bleeding, probably not. If he can withstand a lead pipe, then three shots to the side shouldn't phase him. Logical consistency.

No, I mean the dialogue is bad. The script for "Strange Frequencies" just meanders since it's unclear what the purpose is. I also act and use that to inform my writing. While actors focus on delivering, writers need to focus on relevance and packaging. The dialogue you include may feel philosophically significant but it reads as trite and boring. Formatting issue: only use the ham radio as a character when an actual voice comes across.
Code:
Stilts and Lunch Box are competing to see whose spit can hang 
down the lowest then suck it back up.

[COLOR="Red"] HAM RADIO           <-- Wrong
        Mozart. Crick. Crackle. Whir. 
        Mozart.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]The ham radio plays Mozart interrupted by periodic cricks,    <-- preferred
crackles and whirs.
[/COLOR]
                   LUNCH BOX
        Ha! I win again.

STILTS
        No fair --

LUNCH BOX
        Is too!

STILTS
        Your face is closer to the floor!

[COLOR="Red"]HAM RADIO                        <--  Wrong
        Crack. Guttural metal screech. 
        Mozart is replaced by HA HA HA.[/COLOR] 
[COLOR="Blue"]The ham radio issues a guttural metal screech and resumes  <-- preferred
playing Mozart which is interrupted by deep laughter.[/COLOR]

The boys look to each other for answers. A spit bomb hangs 
from Lunch Box’s gaping mouth.
                   STILTS
        What the fu-

Lunch Box hits him.

STILTS (CONT’D)
        Ow! Fudge! I was gonna say fudge.

LUNCH BOX
        Fudge my a--

Stilts hits him.

LUNCH BOX (CONT’D)
        Apples! Jerk. I was gonna say fudge 
        my apples.

STILTS
        Ah whatta you know bout apples lard 
        ass!
The dialogue is a total non-sequitur from the scene. How you handled the radio as a character was wrong. At first, I thought he/it was just another cutely named character so I went back to find where he was introduced. How does Bub-bub's ham radio fit in? Or those characters? How is this dialogue relevant? "Punchy" is not the descriptor I would use. The read is 'art film'--vague/disturbing images, loose connected/rambling dialogue, very little plot upon which the audience project their own interpretations.

Just want to specify what I'm looking for, do I have proper set ups and pay offs, do I hit all my beats and gaps, are my scenes necessary and doing rather than telling, and is the format good. Thanks guys.
To be clear then:
Poor set-up and not the pay-offs you intended.
There are plot gaps and the pacing needs improvement.
Unnecessary and/or inadequately developed scenes just strung together
The formatting is off and has typos.
The dialogue is rather forced and redundant.

I appreciate you wanted glowing praise rather than learning that the scripts have deficits. If you intend to shoot these yourself, go for it. You can correct the actors to get what you want to match the vision in your head. As standalone scripts, however, they need work. I think you have talent. What you are putting on paper is not matching up with the story in your head. You don't have to change your stories but you do need to enhance how you present them. You're welcome to use the suggestions as you please. Good luck.

Code:
EXT. A FOOTBALL COURT - NIGHT

BOB, a tall man in a black coat and a tattoo on his left arm, points a pistol at Steve.

STEVE
                You...

A GUNSHOT is heard. STEVE falls down, pulls out his LOTTERY TICKET, swallows it and dies. 

ESTABLISHING SHOT at the football court.

Another GUNSHOT is heard.  Bob shoots Steve to the head.
Something like that. I use caps to center the camera at a characters or at an item, to emphasize a sound, or as a camera direction.

Thank you. Misses was asking how long Emma was being brought to her, that needs to be clarified. And I did not know how to describe what we would be hearing from the ham radio.

I have to politely disagree on some points though. There are numerous examples in film and fantasy where characters are not hinder as much by damage as one might expect.

I do not want just praise, I want to find issues that I may not notice, like misses and Emma's relationship and the ham radio. But I can't change the things that I like over matters of taste like the damage and boys personalities.

I have to politely disagree on some points though. There are numerous examples in film and fantasy where characters are not hinder as much by damage as one might expect.

Fantasy films, sure. But there needs to be some hint that this is the world in which we're operating. The man can be made of solid steel, if you like, but we do need to learn this at some point. The only other films where characters take that sort of abuse and jump up unscathed (Arnie/JCVD/Steven Seagal films etc) are the sort that are regularly mocked for their ludicrousness.

But anyway, best of luck :)

Fantasy films, sure. But there needs to be some hint that this is the world in which we're operating. The man can be made of solid steel, if you like, but we do need to learn this at some point. The only other films where characters take that sort of abuse and jump up unscathed (Arnie/JCVD/Steven Seagal films etc) are the sort that are regularly mocked for their ludicrousness.

But anyway, best of luck :)

Those are very good movies, they get sold and produced.

Back