First Lense for my GH3

I've gone back and forth from the BMCC, Mark III or the GH3 and I'm pretty set on the GH3 for its reception, my lack of experience and it's price. Now i need to know what to get with it. Obviously i need my first lense as well. Whats a good one to start with for someone that will primarily be shooting natural and structural objects with the long term cool being Documentary/Cinema shooting. Im tempted to spend the extra dime and get the Voigtlander but part of me tells me I dont need that yet. Instead i should go with a Sigma 19mm or 30mm (which would i need or do i need both?) Any suggestions for a novice like myself? Thaks guys you've been a huge help

Based on your lack of experience I suggest that you get whatever cheap kit lens you can get thrown in for the best price.. like the 14-42. Its stabilized and works great for handheld..

You can do a lot with it. Slow as molasses, but you will be getting sharp footage from day one.

Then try renting a true cinema lens for a day or two, see what all the hoopla is about...

after that you will have perspective and know a lot more about what YOU think you want. chances are your instincts are good, but its nice to have the knowledge back it up!

Hi ManoTikiTia - sorry I didn't get back to you in the other thread. Sadly, there is no kit lens included with the GH3 in the US.

The 25mm Nokton f0.95 is a fabulous manual lens, but that's a big investment and a pretty big challenge for a first lens.

I would start with the 19mm Sigma f2.8 for indoors, plus an inexpensive system zoom for outdoors (perhaps the 14-42, as wheatgrinder suggests, and maybe the inexpensive 45-200). You'll learn a lot, and you'll find out what you need to buy next without spending a whole lot of money up front.

This camera can make almost any lens look good :)

Here is the $1298 GH3 with the $129 Panasonic 14-42:

http://vimeo.com/55708059

And here it is with the $199 Sigma 19mm:

http://vimeo.com/56749236

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
Thank you bill! Your a godsend!

That is exactly what i'm gonna do. I was already leaning towards the Sigma 19mm. Again, thanks

UPDATE: I'd hate to ask for your help again but i'd love your opinion on where I should start with memory card storage for the camera?

Last edited:
No worries. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, when I bought my first DSLR ( a Canon). Nobody told me that I needed something called a "Class 10" card, or it wouldn't be fast enough to record video :) I wish it had occured to me to ask on a forum like this.

I used to recommend inexpensive Komputerbay cards until I had one literally fall apart on me. I saved the data, but just barely. Whatever you do, don't try to 'save money' buying off-brand cards.

I now use 64GB and 128GB Kingston cards. My 128GB Kingston card has reliably recorded the fastest data rates on the GH3 - and, at 128GB, I never worry about running out of memory.

Look forward to seeing your work posted to the forum!

Bill

No worries. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, when I bought my first DSLR ( a Canon). Nobody told me that I needed something called a "Class 10" card, or it wouldn't be fast enough to record video :) I wish it had occured to me to ask on a forum like this.

Bill

I use a class 6 card on my 600D and it works fine.

I use a class 6 card on my 600D and it works fine.

On a hacked GH2 or GH3 using anything less than a class 10 might be unsafe. I would only trust Sandisk Extremes, or other brand class 10's. The data rates and mb write speeds will result in dropped frames on a lower class card. I've tried using cheap cards. Doesn't work.

On a hacked GH2 or GH3 using anything less than a class 10 might be unsafe. I would only trust Sandisk Extremes, or other brand class 10's. The data rates and mb write speeds will result in dropped frames on a lower class card. I've tried using cheap cards. Doesn't work.

I was talking about my Canon 600D.

Well i guess I was alittle slow on buying the 14-42mm because it's now discontinued with the price more than doubling. Should I rethink what to get along with the Sigma 19.

Last edited:
Back