• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First "gig" advice!

Last edited:
Anticipate the movement of the ball or runners.

Try not to center the subject like a deer in your sights.
Allow the frame to lead by keeping the moving subject in the 1/4 to 1/3 area.

Of course, when they inevitably stop you have to anticipate that as well, so don't Forrest Gump the camera, either.

Learn to keep your subordinate eye at least half open and paying attention.
images

Aside from tech stuff, be professional. Dress in black (typical camera guy thing, you disappear that way), say yes sir/yes ma'am, the customer is always right, etc. I know it's highschool, but stull. Best cameramen in the world won't get a second job if they don't have a pro demeanor with a lot of people.

And congrats man!

So yesterday went great! Followed most of these tips, and I feel like I did well!

I'll post the final product when it gets done.
I'm filming water polo on Tuesday! I'm guessing this is my new job here at school!

The video production teacher also mentioned that he wanted to get me and my buddy out to this college basketball tournament at the Honda center? He's apparently got the hookups...

Boy, i'm excited.

So yesterday went great! Followed most of these tips, and I feel like I did well!

I'll post the final product when it gets done.
I'm filming water polo on Tuesday! I'm guessing this is my new job here at school!

The video production teacher also mentioned that he wanted to get me and my buddy out to this college basketball tournament at the Honda center? He's apparently got the hookups...

Boy, i'm excited.

I've shot a lot of sports, mostly for the news. You usually have to keep moving so to not block views for too long, but the foul lines are a good place to hang out and get good shots. I was a roving on the shoulder guy for ABC sports figure skating once. The director tells you what shots to get, so it wasn't all that creative.

Have fun! Shooting sports is a blast.

Back