• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First Feature Finally Finished!!!

Greetings all,

It's been a while since I've been here, and all I've been doing is finishing my first feature.
Voice of the Vespers has taken me 4 and a half years to finally complete.

If you're near Chicago, the premiere is:

Friday, May 30th at 9:30PM
Classic Cinemas Ogden 6
1227 East Ogden Avenue
Naperville, IL 60563

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxqo_kTqR4

I'm doing the film festival submissions and createspace print on demand.
Any other ideas for distribution?
Also, this is my first rodeo, so any sage words for promotions or any advice you might have for a total newbie at the end of this long road?

Thanks so much!
-Matthew J Van Howe

It is a nice feeling to get your feature finished, but be carefull, you might get addicted to do another and then another...:)

If your film is available from createspace, it may disqualify you from many film festivals.

Really? I was not aware of that fact. I really appreciate you letting me know! So createspace is something I should do after I've tried the film festival circuit…. God I feel like a newb…. Thanks for the heads up!

Really? I was not aware of that fact. I really appreciate you letting me know! So createspace is something I should do after I've tried the film festival circuit…. God I feel like a newb…. Thanks for the heads up!

More and more festivals specifically state that the submission not be previously available or shown on the internet on their submission forms. If you've a really good film, you may want to hold back on a public showing of your film as well. The higher tiered festivals demand premires -- films not shown in other festivals.

Yes, createspace after the festival circuit and after attempting to find a distributor. You can however sell copies of the DVD at the festival in person outside of the theatre after the showing (some top tier festivals may not allow it) -- this is a good way to recoup some of the traveling expenses -- but your film has to be awesome. But don't even hint of selling it on the internet, you'd hate for a google search to ruin your film chances of entry into a festival (and they'll keep your fee as well).

Good luck.

Last edited:
More and more festivals specifically state that the submission not be previously available or shown on the internet on their submission forms. If you've a really good film, you may want to hold back on a public showing of your film as well. The higher tiered festivals demand premires -- films not shown in other festivals.

Yes, createspace after the festival circuit and after attempting to find a distributor. You can however sell copies of the DVD at the festival in person outside of the theatre after the showing (some top tier festivals may not allow it) -- this is a good way to recoup some of the traveling expenses -- but your film has to be awesome. But don't even hint of selling it on the internet, you'd hate for a google search to ruin your film chances of entry into a festival (and they'll keep your fee as well).

Good luck.

Looks like the higher tiered festivals are out since the premiere is set and locked, but at least I haven't excluded myself from the majority of festivals by launching the online distribution. I think its a decent picture, but I wouldn't say its the most amazing film, so that's all right. (then again what artist says that about their work?) Seriously, I am very grateful for your comment. It's tough being a one man army and when you've never done any of this before, its a lot of trial and error! Thanks again,
-Matt

Hope the premiere went well.

Congrads on completing the feature - takes a huge amount of effort to complete a feature, well done.

Back