• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

First draft feedback.

Hi team,

Just finished a first draft of a new short I am looking to shoot. It is obviously in the early stages but I am looking to get as many opinions as possible. It's a short drama set in the mid 1800's in america. It has taken great influence from The Sunset Limited.
It is pretty wordy but hopefully the visual metaphors and the story comes across easily.

1.EXT.Beach.Day

The SHERIFF and his wife hold each other closely on a white a white sanded beach. The air is silent apart from the sound of the subtle waves lapping up on the sore. The sun splits in between the couple as the SHERIFF looks into the eyes of his wife. The sound of a revolver's cylinder starts to over power the waves.

2.int.saloon.day

The saloon is quiet. The bar itself is full of empty whiskey bottles and shot glasses. The SHERIFF sits alone in the corner. On the table in front of him are a half filled brown bottle of whiskey, a shot glass and his sheriffs badge. The SHERIFF has a well traveled face. Many lines go in every direction from his eyes. His grey hair is hidden by a worn stetson. The SHERIFF shakes his revolver so the bullets fall off out of the cylinder. He takes three bullets and loads them into the revolver. The SHERIFF spins the cylinder.

The SHERIFF pours himself a new shot of whiskey and places the bottle back down in front of him. He holds up the revolver to his temple. He squeezes the trigger and the hammer hits a blank. He picks up the shot from the table and sinks it. He spins the cylinder again and places the revolver to his head. He squeezes the trigger again and again he the hammer hits a blank. He sinks another shot of whiskey and picks up his revolver again. He pours another whiskey and picks his revolver up again. He stares down the barrel.

As he squeezes the barrel the saloon doors swing open. A young clean cut boy dressed all in black walks in. He walks up to the bar and waits. The stranger hasn't spotted the SHERIFF yet. He stands still at the bar. Not moving or speaking. The SHERIFF staggers to his feet.

SHERIFF

Hey!...boy...what are you doing?

The young man turns around.

SHERIFF

(whilst waving his revolver)

Come here

The boy walks over and sits down at the table. The SHERIFF takes his seat and places his revolver in the middle of the table. The stranger stares at it. The SHERIFF looks at the boy and smiles.

SHERIFF

You seen one of these before?

STRANGER/PREACHER

No...no.

The SHERIFF notices he has an Irish accent.

SHERIFF

Where are you from kid?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Rathmullan, Ireland.

SHERIFF

An Irish lad?. Your a long way from home kid. We hear word from New York about the Irish. Hundreds. Everyday off the boats. Taking our food. Our jobs.

The SHERIFF looks at the boy to see if he has any reaction.

SHERIFF

Like I said kid, your a long way from home. A long way from New York anyway. What are you doing down here?

The STRANGER shuffles in his seat uncomfortably.

STRANGER/PREACHER

I traveled down from Virgina.

SHERIFF

By yourself?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Yes. I traveled down with with my father. But he...he died. The only thing he left me was his bible.

The Stranger pulls out a bible from his satchel and places it next the revolver on the table. The SHERIFF stares a it like the Stranger stared at the revolver.

SHERIFF

(condescending)

In my experience there are only two types of people who carry round a bible. Someone who is trying to clean themselves of their sins or someone wanting to change the world. Which one are you?

The Stranger places his hands together on the table.

STRANGER/PREACHER

I am a catholic and since my father departed I have been spreading the word of god to people.

The SHERIFF pours another shot of whiskey laughing.

SHERIFF

(laughing)

The word of God? And what word would that be? of salvation?(laughs) No one can be saved. No one can change a life they have chosen. Men are the most corrupt of creatures.

STRANGER/PREACHER

I beg to differ. I am a preacher. On my travels I have seen things...

The SHERIFF cuts the PREACHER off.

SHERIFF

...You've seen things have you? Your barely a man. What could you have seen?

STRANGER/PREACHER

I see a man lost with what seems to be a revolver and a bottle of whiskey as his only friends.

The SHERIFF pulls out an old battered cigar.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What brings a man down to the bottom? What makes a man want to drink himself into an early grave.

SHERIFF

Many things.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Well God wouldn't want no man to be in an early grave.

The SHERIFF lights his cigar an takes a long drag.

SHERIFF

Do you think god is in this room?

STRANGER/PREACHER

No I don't think god is in this room... I know he is in this room.

The PREACHER leans forward in his chair.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Let me ask you a question...

The PREACHER picks up the bible.

STRANGER/PREACHER

You ever read this book?

SHERIFF

I've read parts of it, read in it.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Have you ever read it?

SHERIFF

Like I said...

The PREACHER cuts him off

STRANGER/PREACHER

Have. You. Ever. Read. It?

SHERIFF

No.

STRANGER/PREACHER

But you have read books?

SHERIFF

As much as any man in this climate.

STRANGER/PREACHER

How many books?

SHERIFF

Well at least...4 a year.

STRANGER/PREACHER

But not this book?

SHERIFF

Well...

STRANGER/PREACHER

Why is that?

SHERIFF

I don't know.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Well you are the law and the man above is the law of all, then you need to read this book.

The SHERIFF takes another drag and then flicks the ash of the cigar onto the table. Some of it hits the bible. The PREACHER looks down at the bible then back up at the SHERIFF.

STRANGER/PREACHER

My point is, you read. But you haven't read the best book ever written. I come in here not expecting. But I find you. Drowning your sorrows? With red eyes and a revolver on the table? any man would only think one thing.

SHERIFF

And what would any man think?

STRANGER/PREACHER

You know what I mean.

SHERIFF

I am afraid I don't.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Suicide.

The SHERIFF stubs out is cigar and looks at the PREACHER.

SHERIFF

What I choose or choose not to do is my business.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Now it's not.

SHERIFF

How do you know what my intentions where anyway?

STRANGER/PREACHER

See those three bullets just sitting there on the table?

The SHERIFF and PREACHER both look down to the table.

STRANGER/PREACHER

That's how.

SHERIFF

Your telling me that just by looking at three bullets on a table you know whats going on?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Well isn't it whats going on?

The SHERIFF doesn't reply. Instead he swipes the three bullets of the table and cups them in his hand.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Say I walked in this here saloon 2 minutes after I did. Your head would be all over that wall.

The PREACHER gets up and walks towards the window and looks out.

SHERIFF

That was a possibility.

The PREACHER is still looking out the window.

SHERIFF

Are you telling me that you where meant to walk into this shit hole and stop me from squeezing this here trigger?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Yes.

SHERIFF

I always sit in this place and no one ever comes in or out for that matter.

STRANGER/PREACHER

I believe I walked in here for a reason. To stop you making a hole in your head.

SHERIFF

You my guardian angel?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Maybe.

SHERIFF

I don't believe in angles preacher.

The PREACHER turns around from looking out the window and walks back towards the table.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Why do you want to end it all?

3.ext.beach.day

The sounds of the waves fill the room and the Sheriff finishes the whiskey. He is on the beach watching his wife walk in to the sea. He runs after her and grabs her but she still pushes through his grip and walks into the sea. The Sheriff turns to see if there is anybody to help but no one is there. The Preacher slams his hand on the table.

4.int.saloon.day

The SHERIFF stands up from the table and picks up his revolver and slides it into his holster.

SHERIFF

I've got to leave.

The PREACHER picks up his satchel from the floor and slings it over his shoulder.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Where ever you are going I'm going.

SHERIFF

Excuse me?

STRANGER/PREACHER

I need to make sure you don't unload that colt into your head.

SHERIFF

I'm going home.

STRANGER/PREACHER

OK.

SHERIFF

Your not coming home with me.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Sure I am.

SHERIFF

No your not.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What? they don't let Irish folk in there?

The SHERIFF sits back down at the table.

SHERIFF

Look I just want to be left alone.

The PREACHER grabs the seat that is opposite the SHERIFF. He drags it round so it is at a 45 degree angle.

STRANGER/PREACHER

You married? got any children? What would they say if I just left you alone?

SHERIFF

I.. I had a wife. No children. We tried but we couldn't...

STRANGER/PREACHER

Had?...what happened to her?

SHERIFF

She died. Like most people do.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Most people die from a bullet or old age.

SHERIFF

You've got a lot of knowledge for a young kid.

STRANGER/PREACHER

If you don't want to talk about it...

The SHERIFF cuts the preacher off.

SHERIFF

I have never spoken about it.

STRANGER/PREACHER

How long where you married for?

The SHERIFF leans back in thought.

SHERIFF

I'd say...about 17 years.

STRANGER/PREACHER

You never talk to ANYone about your wife? not even your closest friends?

SHERIFF

I became a man of the law after she passed. In my situation, you can't afford friends.

STRANGER/PREACHER

listen here sheriff you need to talk to people for what ever you've got inside to go away.

SHERIFF

I can't.

STRANGER/PREACHER

And whys that?

SHERIFF

The things I loved where very frail. But I thought they couldn't break. But they did.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Well I don't have no answers for those kind of emotions. And maybe there isn't no answer.

SHERIFF

I've seen my wife pass. Good men pass and the greedy and evil live on. It's nothing personal preacher but god, if there is such a thing, wouldn't let that be.

STRANGER/PREACHER

That's just it sheriff. God has a plan. All those who think they will get away, won't.

SHERIFF

So the good that die, that's for a reason?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Yes.

The SHERIFF pulls out his revolver from it's holster and points it at the PREACHER.

SHERIFF

Your telling me my wife died for a reason?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Well I...

SHERIFF

And what reason would that be? to better the good of evil men? No. She was taken from me.

The PREACHER nervously looks at the SHERIFF as he points the revolver towards him. The Silence is cut by the SHERIFF knocking off the last shot of whiskey from the table.

The SHERIFF stands up and walks to the bar. He swaps the empty bottle of whiskey for a fresh one and carefully walks back to his seat.

He holds the bottle towards the PREACHER.

SHERIFF

Drink?

The PREACHER stares at the SHERIFF.

SHERIFF

Oh right yeah.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What was your wife like?

SHERIFF

She was beautiful. She could make a room fall silent when she walked in. There were times I never wanted to never let her go and there were times I could have killed her.

The PREACHER stands up and walks to the wash bowl at the end of the bar.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Please...continue.

The PREACHER cups his hands and begins to wash his face.

SHERIFF

She always had men after her. And me being away half the time trying to keep the peace meant she had a lot of free time on her hands.

The PREACHER finishes washing his face and takes his seat next the SHERIFF.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What did you do?

SHERIFF

One night I came home late. The house was quiet. I walked up the house. The door was slightly a jar. So I picked up the repeater that is above the door. I cocked it slowly and walked to the bedroom.

The SHERIFF stands up and his chair falls over.

SHERIFF(ENTHUSIASTICALLY acting out his story)

Then I kicked down the door and I saw her with another man. Some scrawny..imagine how I felt. So I grabbed his leg. And bare in mind he is naked and kicking like jumping fish. All this time my wife, she is screaming 'don't hurt him, don't hurt him'. But I ain't listening. I drag him out to the porch and throw him onto the wood. He tries mumbling something but I don't remember. So I use the butt of the repeater and start smashing his head. Every time I hit him his head bounced up like a ball and just for me to smash it again. by the time I'd finished, you couldn't make out no features. I must of hit him hard because I got some of his teeth stuck in the wood of the shoulder rest. I stopped an'looked up. Theres my wife, cryin' her eyes out.

The SHERIFF breathes heavily trying to catch his breath back.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What did the man try saying to you?

SHERIFF

What?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Before he lost his teeth, what did he say?

SHERIFF

I don't remember.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Don't you think it might have been important?

SHERIFF

Huh?...thats not the point. He was in bed with MY wife and I, well took retrubution.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Don't you think he might have something important to say?

The SHERIFF takes his seat.

SHERIFF

I wasn't about to listen.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What did you do with your wife?

The SHERIFF goes to pour a shot of whiskey but instead takes a long swig from the bottle.

5.ext.beach.day

The SHERRIFF holds his wife in his arms as he stands waist deep in the sea. She is lays in his arms lifeless.

6.int.saloon.day

The SHERIFF stands up and walks towards the doors.

SHERIFF

Now I really have to leave?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Sheriff you know I can't let you leave. If you leave you'll just find another hole to sink in and point that six shooter towards your head.

The SHERIFF turns around.

STRANGER/PREACHER

There is something troubling you and I am gonna find out what it is.

SHERIFF

It's nothing.

STRANGER/PREACHER

You say it's nothing but I don't believe you. There is something you want to take with that colt of yours. Now I believe if I didn't walk in when I did, you would have taken it with you and it would have been with you forever.

SHERIFF

I can't help you, I got in a postion where I was happy to take it with me. I was ready for it to go with me.

STRANGER/PREACHER

By putting a hole in your head?

SHERIFF

Yes.

STRANGER/PREACHER

I don't understand.

The SHERIFF walks over and leans on the chair next to the PREACHER.

SHERIFF

I am using what ever I've got inside me to carry me through. I'm depending on it. Everything I loved is gone and it's my fault.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Your fault?

SHERIFF

The frail things I loved have gone. They have closed doors. Now there is only one door left. My actions have left me angry, angry with the world. You ever get angry?

STRANGER/PREACHER

Maybe...once.

SHERIFF

When?

STRANGER/PREACHER

When my father died.

SHERIFF

Everyone gets angry when some one they love dies.

STRANGER/PREACHER

He was murderd...infront of me. He was only helping an old off of a stagecoach but someone must have heard his accent. They assumed he was doing bad. They hit him. Kept hitting him. I didn't moved. Just watched.

SHERIFF

And god didn't help him?

STRANGER/PREACHER

No...he spoke to me.

The PREACHER stands up and starts pacing up and down the saloon.

STRANGER/PREACHER

He told me that I saw what I saw so I would never let evil happen again.

SHERIFF

But one man can't stop evil.

STRANGER/PREACHER

But he can stop a man from the depths of his demise.

SHERIFF

No, he can't. I long for what I have waiting for me preacher. I need it.

The PREACHER drags the chair closer to the SHERIFF and takes a seat.

SHERIFF

I long for this guilt to be gone. I long to stop seeing the good being driven out of people.

STRANGER/PREACHER

Guilt?

SHERIFF

Yes, guilt. Guilt that has built up for so long I see no other option to empty it by it's sorce.

The PREACHER has nothing to reply with.

SHERIFF

I don't belive in god, can you understand that? pain and suffering is all that comes from god. Your faith and fellowship is one no man should be a part of. No man should have the guilt that I have. No man.

The SHERIFF stands up and picks up the bottle of whiskey.

STRANGER/PREACHER

But...

SHERIFF

Jelously, another reason to want out. I couldn't even describe the jelously I felt.

STRANGER/PREACHER

What do you mean?

The SHERIFF walks towards the saloon doors. The PREACHER is quickly to his feet and puts his arm across.

SHERIFF

What do I mean? Do you not understand? Have I pulled a cloud over your eyes? Jealousy leads men to do terrible things that eat at them. It's something that no man can help me with.

The PREACHERS look turns to one of realisation. The PREACHER moves her arm and the SHERIFF walks out and the doors swing.

ext.beach.day

The SHERIFF holds her wife as the waves hit her body. The SHERIFFS face is emotionless as the sea washes the blood off of his hands.

FIN.

Unfortunately, I need to agree with P38. This is very difficult to read because it is very non-standard. You have titles capitalized in sentences which is confusing when you scan to see the dialogue. And the dialogue is spaced below. You might want to load and clean this up in CeltX. Then save it as a PDF and post it.

I tried to make a go through it but it is very distracting and hard to follow.

The formatting looked fine to me.

A few things, I thought it was odd that he was doing his Russian Roulette thing in a saloon. That's not really the likely place for that. Maybe somewhere more private.

And if he really wants to kill himself, wouldn't he just do it?

Seems more like a device to slow it down so the preacher can intervene.

I'd vary the setting and the way he goes about it to be more realistic. A hanging? From a tree in an isolated field? Something more like that anyway.

And the ending didn't fully resolve for me.

I think you have to make a commitment to that. Either he kills himself, or he changes his mind. But what could make him change his mind?

Link to the PDF.

Hopefully this works.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...jNzU3MTItNzZmZi00NDIyLTg4NDEtNGNlYmVkNTcxNWQx

I agree the ending needs more of a resolution. But I don't want it to be a simple as he does or does not
kill himself. I want there to be a struggle between the the preacher and the sheriff. I want to the dialogue to be like a chess game where one is trying to make the other see the world their way.

But thank you for the feed back and let me know if the link works.

J

Back