FINDING THE AUDTION

I'm an actor who lives in LA and still can't seem to find quality auditions. I had an agent who would send me out on the sterotypical black roles either the thug or athelete. I tried Nowcasting and LA casting sites so my question is what should I do to find the audition for quality work?

I would suggest getting in class if you aren't already...it's good to work on your craft and keep yourself sharp while you're looking for your next role.

Not only that, but many casting opportunities come from ongoing classes, as well.

I've been cast in a few things, just by virtue of having a director or producer sitting in on classes.

Last film I made (lo-budget, non-SAG, but whatever)... every single actor cast was picked from a class.

Obviously, the point of maintaining classes is to keep in shape. Acting is like a muscle. It can atrophy, if not exercised.

But back to the OP:

Yah, it can be a tough gig. Nothing sucks more than being sent out by an agent for another stereotypical part. But there's a tonne of other willing people who'll gladly snap up those parts, if you don't put the effort in to get it for yourself.

You end up with a bit-part as some stereotypical gang-banger? That's payin' your bills for another month. It's also something else to add to a resumé.

It's a dog-eat-dog world in LA, man.

Agent, Manager (and if you can afford it) Publicist.

p.s. Network, network, network, network, network.

p.p.s. Did I mention network? :)

Zen is right on. I understand it sucks to be stereotyped, but
getting a gig - even as gangbanger, thug or athlete get you on a
set. And on set, as a working actor, is where you meet the people
who can get you past the audition stage and into the “I wanna
work with they guy.” stage.

I bet Chase can point you in the right direction for auditions.
He’s an excellent coach. I’ve hired students he’s found for me.
Where did he suggest you try?

To add on. Exactly... even though they are stereotypical, you have such a great advantage man.. especially if you get the part. Who cares if you play a few thug roles in the begining? Atleast it is work, $, and experience... and you build your resume for the future. Not all actors/actresses started with amazing roles..

... send me out on the sterotypical black roles either the thug or athelete.

Others above can help you better with the nuts & bolts of finding the auditions and acting gigs in LA!

My two cents would be to add that just because they send you to a stereotypical role doesn't mean you have to play it as a stereotypical character!

Now obviously, if all you are is Gangsta #8, who has no dialogue and shoots twice then dies -- there's not much anyone can do to change that. in which case, as others have said: it pays the rent, it pads the resume, you hang with other actors and crew and maybe network, and maybe someone else sees you up on the screen and likes your look and wants you for something bigger etc.

But if you have any lines or any chance to bring in something unexpected to the character ... NO role needs to be wasted nor stereotypical. Who says Gangsta #7 can't be pushing drugs to keep his baby sister off the streets, or whatever?

You can always PLAY a role a different way. You can always SUGGEST something unique to a director.

Here's THE WAY to win a director's heart: PLAY it like the DIRECTOR wants it ... but have another take up your sleeve to offer too. Time and production restraints aside, EVERY Director is probably as bored by "stereotypical" roles as YOU are. Give him/her something NEW and FRESH and you'll be noticed!

There's a reason VILLAINS stand out more than heroes, sometimes.

Another idea might be: remember to network with the struggling INDIE filmmakers too! There are BIGGER ROLES to be had where the filmmakers are desperately hungry and needy for QUALITY ACTORS who work with much dedication and little money!

Go for big money, you're competing with the "known" actors big money can buy ...

Back