Finding a completely crew for a big project next year

Hello!

I would like to make a feature film or a web-series next summer in Los Angeles area.
How I can find a perfect crew and plan this idea together? I was thinking to start a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds.

We would need everybody from Director, actors, cameraman's, Makeup artists, sound operator, post production crew, visual effects etc.

Budget would be about 80-150k $

Genre: Drama & Action.

I was thinking that this would be non-pay project, but they would got an incredible experience and something to write on their portfolios.

First, figure out what you're doing. Feature OR web series, and the actual budget. THEN hire department heads and they'll take care of staffing their departments. Most already know others they've worked with before.

Fair question though, what are you spending $80-150k on if not personel? The only people that realistically sign up for "an incredible experience" or "portfolio pieces" are newbies. Pro's take jobs that pay. You want to trust your $150k worth of gear, sets and craft service (not sure what else you'd spend it on) to a guy using a camera for the second time ever?

First, figure out what you're doing. Feature OR web series, and the actual budget. THEN hire department heads and they'll take care of staffing their departments. Most already know others they've worked with before.

Fair question though, what are you spending $80-150k on if not personel? The only people that realistically sign up for "an incredible experience" or "portfolio pieces" are newbies. Pro's take jobs that pay. You want to trust your $150k worth of gear, sets and craft service (not sure what else you'd spend it on) to a guy using a camera for the second time ever?

Yeah, I have to decide what I want to create. So the 80-150k $ (about) goes to camera rentals, other equipment rentals, car rentals, insurance, set expenses, travel costs etc.

Maybe your right about the newbies but I truly hope if your passion is this, and you know you are good at it, you can do it. And maybe we could hire pro's too.

Sorry but everything in your posts sounds unrealistic and kinda childish if I'm honest .

''Next summer'' is actually 6-7 months away and you still don't know what to do . How are you going to get 150k for 6 months? Even people who have built audience over the years struggle getting so much money.

And the whole hoping that if you're passionate sentence is extremely naive . Maybe if your goal was somewhere around 2k - 5k it would've been achievable but that way I don't see it happen .

I know I didn't helped but honestly nobody can help you here ,you have to rethink the whole project and realize that this kind of project might be a bit too much at that point of your career .

^^ What he said.

Kickstarter is a joke. Do you know how many "films" get funded there? Might as well come up with a stupid idea for a toy. You'd have better luck there.

In my "career" I've learned one thing... DON'T WASTE MONEY. Because if you screw that open pocket, that open pocket will never ever open again.

I agree with Paul 200%. You must have actors and personnel that you're sure won't ruin your investment. I was in the middle of preparing for a feature, only for a measly 15K budget, and I decided to postpone it. I had personnel, because I was going to shoot where I live and am familiar with the capabilities of the personnel. But I wasn't happy with the actors. My movie is only going to work if the audience believes in the performance. There is no special effects or explosions, only people talking. So if the audience doesn't believe in the performance, every penny spent will have been wasted. So now I'm spending my time trying to create an actor's club to meet more actors.

If you can spend 150K, you can spend 200K. So up your budget a little. Hire people who are professionals. Spend the extra 50k and you won't waste the first 150k.

I truly hope if your passion is this, and you know you are good at it, you can do it.

Passion and talent aren't the same. You can have both, but talent afford many opportunities, why pick the one that doesn't pay?

Have you ever spent 2 weeks or 2 months on another person's project for free? Was he an internet stranger with no track record of film success?

Not trying to be a downer, but I am trying to express the benefits and realities of paying people. Lower the budget elsewhere, hire pros.

Passion and talent aren't the same. You can have both, but talent afford many opportunities, why pick the one that doesn't pay?

Have you ever spent 2 weeks or 2 months on another person's project for free? Was he an internet stranger with no track record of film success?

Not trying to be a downer, but I am trying to express the benefits and realities of paying people. Lower the budget elsewhere, hire pros.

Ok you're right. How much do you think would be a fair price for actors? And what about others. If I pay for actors, then other cast wants money too

"How Much" is super relative. Cast & crew in my market will cost different than yours. Different films will need different people. Could cost $1,000, could cost $50,000.

Your first hire should be an experienced producer. They'll help answer these questions, set a plan, bring on a director, cinematographer, casting director and production designer who will each bring direction on how to pull off their areas of the film and what they need.

Your only job/concern right now is to figure out the vision, figure out how to explain it well, and then find a producer to explain it to.

"How Much" is super relative. Cast & crew in my market will cost different than yours. Different films will need different people. Could cost $1,000, could cost $50,000.

Your first hire should be an experienced producer. They'll help answer these questions, set a plan, bring on a director, cinematographer, casting director and production designer who will each bring direction on how to pull off their areas of the film and what they need.

Your only job/concern right now is to figure out the vision, figure out how to explain it well, and then find a producer to explain it to.

Thanks. Just one more question. Where I could find an experienced producer? Should I first try to figure out what I wanna do and maybe write a script? Then give my idea to an producer?

I'm in Los Angeles. I can help. When you have a script let me know.
A budget of $80,000 to $150,000 is realistic for some projects.

Passion is great. But here in Los Angeles passion doesn't pay the bills.
A feature can take 20 weeks from start to finish – that's a long time to
expect people to work for passion and something to write on their
portfolios. Even just the four weeks of production is difficult for most
people to go without any pay at all. But all issues can be worked out.

I'm in Los Angeles. I can help. When you have a script let me know.
A budget of $80,000 to $150,000 is realistic for some projects.

Passion is great. But here in Los Angeles passion doesn't pay the bills.
A feature can take 20 weeks from start to finish – that's a long time to
expect people to work for passion and something to write on their
portfolios. Even just the four weeks of production is difficult for most
people to go without any pay at all. But all issues can be worked out.

Wow that's sounds really good!

I will contact you asap when the script is done.
We can then talk about this for further plans.

I was thinking to start a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds.

We would need everybody from Director, actors, cameraman's, Makeup artists, sound operator, post production crew, visual effects etc.

Okay you need all those people..
What exactly is your role going to be then?

It sounds like you still need a producer. And you're not providing the funds.
Are you the screen writer? Do you have an screen writing experience?

Do you have experience running a business or marketing / promotion?

People gotta start somewhere, right?

yeah but it helps if you have a clear vision in mind.
I don't mean that he has no role or place in making a movie I'm just asking to clarify what that position is and what he plans on bringing to the table. once he knows his strengths then it may change his networking approach

Back