Finally, "Quickie in the kitchen" is completed.

After 4 of agonizing months of writing, shooting, editing, reshooting, more editing, ADRs and Foleys i'm happy to sit back at stare at the final rendering bar!

"Quickie in the kitchen" has been completed! HOORAAAAYY!!

Test screening tomorrow for my friends to hear their opinions and then... the real work starts - submitting to film festivals! woot!

thank you everyone for your help answering my noobish questions! :)

I might hide this short somewhere on vimeo, locked under password, so let me know if you'd like to see it. Don't want to get rejected from film festivals because of some dumb "We saw your movie online you're screwed"...

PARTY!! and then script breakdown for my next one! :-D

Congrats, Dima!

Many festivals don't care if your film is available online, but some prefer that it isn't. I'm guessing the higher profile fests would like it kept under wraps.

What's the final running time?

Have a great party!

Congrats! And I think I speak for most of us when I say, yes, we definitely want to see it :-D

Congratulations, rat man.

6809625PM.jpg

Dude, that's awesome. Congrats! I wish I could attend the screening, but I'm missing it by just a day (I'm actually going to be in Seattle tomorrow night). Have fun!

Love it.

You've come on massively in a really short time, this work is now looking super slick and professional.

The 'sex' noise at the start is just too gross (given the euphemism) but I kind of love that. Not in a sick way, I should add.

I see that the music was done by the main actor. It's a really good job.

:)

EDIT: I should add that I think the audio (or ADR) sync is off in one or two places.

Murdoc and nickclapper - thank you very much! I was going for really gross noise. Its a combination of two people making out, me eating pizza and sterring macaroni

And thank you for the compliment! really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Really enjoyed it! Made me smile and that's the main thing Thought it was really well shot as well, very professional looking. And, like Nick said, great audio. That was actually one of the main things was that separated it from your average short for me. All in all, great stuff and keep it up :)

MY ONE COMPLAINT is VIMEO sucks. I can stream HD movies from Chhattisgarh but can't watch a vid from Vimeo without it being stuttery as Porky Pig...

Just watched it. Great job! I hope you know that people aren't just being nice, when they comment on how great you're doing, considering how briefly you've been working on this stuff. This really is excellent work.

I don't know if you're open to making tweaks, but if you are, here's what I'd work on --

Just my two cents, I think the contrast might be a tad high. I'm no colorist myself, so I'm not saying I could do better (I couldn't), and actually it looks quite nice as is. But every now and then, it felt like you crushed the blacks just a bit too much.

You did an excellent job with sound. I'm particularly impressed with your foley work. I absolutely suck at that kind of stuff. The one issue I have is with the exterminator's dialogue. I can't put a finger on it -- is it the EQ? Do you need an effect? I dunno, but it felt a little off.

Lastly, the music is really good, but not all the way through. All of the stuff your composer did with percussion, and that type of stuff, sounds excellent, and the mood fits the scene. The weak spots are when it's heavy on strings. They just sound too synthesized. I think it'd be a huge benefit, if it's possible for him to rework those parts (and there's only a couple of them) with an instrument that lends itself well to MIDI sequencing -- perhaps piano, organ, or keyboard?

Regardless, this is some very solid work. You should feel proud. :)

Burnsy - thank you! I've been doing videos a little over a year ago. Just simple shorts :)

Ziggy - i'll take note of the Vimeo issue, and I will upload the video on youtube!

-JK- I spent an entire month of December with my audio guy going over the ADR, and Foley. I'm really glad you liked the audio. It does has a few issues, but its not too terrible for an $80 shotgun mic, and h4n :-D

Thank you for watching everyone.

Cracker Funk - Thank you very much for the detailed review. I'm definitely open to the suggestion. After today's test screening my sound guy wants to do a few tweaks, so I'll let him know about the dialog's EQ!

I'll see what I can do to tweak the contrast before i'll send it off to film festivals.

As far as string - that was our HUUUUUGE concern as the composer was writing the music, and we decided to take a gamble. And we lost haha.

After reading the audience review, all audience said that the string music was the weakest portion of the movie, so you were right on the money! Next time we'll use more natural instrument, like guitars and pianos! :)

thank you for watching! time to start my next project, and then - feature!

Yeah, the audio quality of the exterminator's voice doesn't match the surroundings. It sounds like he's inside a quiet recording booth talking calmly into a microphone instead of outside, walking, moving his body around. There's no ambience that matches what we are seeing, like the quality is too clean for the scene.

If you can, get the actor out on location somewhere that matches the scenes and rerecord his lines.

Good filmmaking, Dima. Keep 'em coming.

Very good stuff! It looks beautiful and the acting was top notch! I agree that the string sections were the weakest in the score, but I think it was more because they were stylistically "older" and a little too loud in the mix. Had he blended it with some of the electronic tones that he was using, it might have sounded a little more natural (or, at least, that's what I would have done). It sounded like it was taken from a different score rather than being part of the whole.

You can get a good orchestral sound electronically, but it's a combination of good (usually expensive) string sample libraries and a LOT of time. I did like the piece, it just seemed out of place.

Oh, and your expression at the end was PRICELESS!

Back