Finally bought a camera!

A while back I posted on here with questions pertaining to buying a camcorder to start filmmaking again. I was looking at getting a Canon HD camcorder, but just didn't have any luck finding one, especially one that wouldn't break the bank. Well, long story short, landed a nice paying gig remodeling a kitchen for relatives, and decided to go the HDSLR route and got myself the Canon T3i. So far it performs amazing picture-wise; I have yet to record any video with it though, but hopefully soon. Also picked up a nice tripod, a new external harddrive, UV filter, extra battery, and a 16Gb SD card. With that said, anyone have any other suggestions that I should get to start shooting proper HD film on it? I plan on getting a mic, probably the Zoom mics like the H1 or H4n, but what else would be good (or required) to get before starting to shoot since I'm new to this whole "HDSLR" thing? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks CamVader! Definitely will pick up some ND filters. For the storage card I actually got a class 10 that handles full HD and even 3D film, and it had the highest MB/s rate also, so I'll pick up another one of those too eventually since they are currently on sale. Also, does the stock 18-55 lens do alright with filming? It seems like it has a little too much zoom to it if I'm filming something up close, but then again I won't be able to get another lens until at least a few weeks from now...should I think about getting something with a wider range?

Also, does the stock 18-55 lens do alright with filming? It seems like it has a little too much zoom to it if I'm filming something up close, but then again I won't be able to get another lens until at least a few weeks from now...should I think about getting something with a wider range?

Now the fun starts...lenses. The stock lens is pretty decent, but like anything, the more you get into it the more of the finer points you notice and understand. Prime lenses are of higher quality and are application specific. Zoom lenses cover the spectrum, but usually don't excel at anything. The version of your stock lens that is supposed to be pretty awesome is the 17-55mm EM-S f/2.8 which goes for about $1200 US.

You can see where this is going.

Do a search on this site on what Wheatgrinder has been up to in the APS-C lens quest. There are ways to get what you need without breaking the bank...too much.

Oh man, I forgot to tell you how much I love paying as much for the lens as I did for the camera and equipment! :P

I figured it would be pretty expensive though...I guess I'll just make due with the 18-55 for now, should do fine with what I plan to do...I'm not going to be shooting anything insane with it, er, at least not yet haha. I also did a search a few minutes ago and found a thread on filming lenses for the T2i that I'm going to look more into. Thanks for all your help!

Oh man, I forgot to tell you how much I love paying as much for the lens as I did for the camera and equipment! :P

I figured it would be pretty expensive though...I guess I'll just make due with the 18-55 for now, should do fine with what I plan to do...I'm not going to be shooting anything insane with it, er, at least not yet haha. I also did a search a few minutes ago and found a thread on filming lenses for the T2i that I'm going to look more into. Thanks for all your help!

The 18-55 is fine. I was just trying to show how nuts this can get and give a heads up on the work-arounds. I bet you find that primes are the way to go. Part of the fun is learning, so get to know your kit lens inside and out and you'll have a reference point forever.

Congrats on the purchase. If you can only afford one lens, the 18-55 is definitely what I would go with, for the sole reason that it gives you a wide option. Personally, I couldn't do without wide.

I haven't yet made my next purchase, but when I do, it'll definitely be a prime, most likely the very affordable Canon 50mm, though I might consider a 100mm.

Best of luck!

Even if you don't plan on using filters for effects or image-control, at least spring for a basic transparent UV filter.

It's the primary defense against accidental damage or scratches to the lens itself.

The thread-size you need for your lens will be printed on the front of that particular lens.

Back