Filters for Panasonic dvx100b

Hello, I bought a panasonic dvx100b and the picture quality wasn't exactly what I expected it to be. It's a little fuzzy and grainy and I learned that I need to use filters. The problem is that I have no idea where to begin.

I looked online and there was all these options like 4x4 or 5x6 or whatever and I have no idea what my stock dvx100b is. I have no idea how to put filters on. I have no idea how to use matte boxes. I have no idea how to take care of filters or which filter to buy.

I'm trying to achieve a film look (like everyone else!). Which filters would I need????

A thorough tutorial would be MUCH appreciated, thanks!

I have a DVX-100a, so I'm a little baffled by the image quality problems you're having. Mine is crystal clear and only grainy in low light (which is normal for most video cameras).

Did you try white balancing? Adjusting your aperture and shutter settings for more light? Setting the focus?

Filters aren't going to fix a bad image. They won't make it more clear or less grainy. That's not to say I don't think you should get them. You use them to establish certain looks or make use of certain kinds of light.
The 4x4s are drop in filters for a 4x4 matte box. Matte boxes can be expensive. You just have to shop around for one made for the DVX. The nice thing about the DVX is that there are tons of accessories made for it.

But I'd have someone who knows the DVX to take a look at your camera and see if there isn't some other issue with it.

Sounds to me more like you're trying to shoot without proper light and letting the camera do auto exposure adjustments.. that very well could cause fuzzy grainy footage. But like Beeblebrox said, filters won't fix a crummy image.

Thanks for the info guys. But what are some tips for crystal clear film like footage???

Any pointers for this newbie?

Well there's more to it than just flipping a switch on the camera.. it's a combination of things; lighting, composition of the frame, camera blocking, actor blocking, etc..

This is a decent list of reference material that would help, there's much more, but this stuff would give you a solid foundation in several areas:
http://www.indietalk.com/showpost.php?p=64905&postcount=3

There is a button on the front that says AWB for Auto White Balance. Point the camera at a flat white object under the lighting conditions you're going to shoot with, and hold down that button until it balances.

I mention that as a possibility because the blue channel carries most of the grain, so reducing the blue channel will reduce the grain somewhat.

Back