Films and You: A Questionaire

Kind of pointless, but could be fun and maybe even educational too if anyone can be bothered. Because lets face it, we ALL love talking about films. :)

Try and restict yourself to just one answer per question. Feel free to write a little something explaining each of your choices.

1) A CHERISHED CHILDHOOD FAVOURITE
2) A FILM THAT SPARKED AN INTEREST IN FILMMAKING
3) ONE FILMMAKER YOU REALLY ADMIRE
4) A FILM YOU LOVE THAT OTHERS MIGHT NOT HAVE SEEN
5) THE BEST FILM SCORE/SONG
6) THE BEST FILM PERFORMANCE
7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
8) A 'GUILY PLEASURE' FILM
9) ONE FILM YOU WISH YOU'D SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN
10) THE GREATEST SCENE IN FILM HISTORY
11) THE GREATEST SHOT IN FILM HISTORY
12) A FILM YOU COULD WATCH OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...
13) THE ONE FILM THAT ALL FILMMAKERS MUST SEE

Interesting to see which films get repeated most by people. I'm particularly keen to know what people would put for 4 and 13.
This is just a bit of fun, so feel to get creative and throw a few curve-balls in there. I want to know how many films there are out there I still need to get my hands on.

Disney's version of Robin Hood.
I make music for visual media so I would say Terminator inspired me the most since its theme tune is possibly my favourite of all time.
The guys who made Ink.
http://www.jaminwinans.com/
Neverwas.
Many have strengths and weaknesses... Not sure if I can say I love one over all the others.
Not sure really... But I've loved every film I've seen that had Samuel L Jackson in it.
7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
Princess Mononoke by Studio Ghibli. My favourite film.
Anchor Man.
Dark Knight Rises. Missed out on that one... :/
The Good The Bad And The Ugly last 10 minutes.
Hmm... It was all special effects, but in What Dreams May Come the first parts of his time in Heaven when he's inside his wife's painting. Beautiful.
Anchor Man. Yes, yes, yes.
I'm no expert so I'll leave this blank!

Masters of the Universe!
The Evil Dead
Luc Besson
Cannibal the Musical
'Lets Build a Snowman' - Cannibal the Musical
Cuba Gooding Jr - 'Hero Wanted'
7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
'Within the Rock' - US tv movie
Aliens
Taxi Driver - the mirror talk
'Leon' - Jean Reno chopping out the fan in the apartment
Leon
Rocky

Star Wars IV, although "cherished" is a rather saccharine word to characterize my precise feelings.

Brad Bird's The Incredibles inspired me to learn screenwriting for story craft. However, it was writer/director Adam Green's Frozen that provided the insight that perhaps it would be better to just make my own d@mn film.

I'm very much impressed with filmmakers who have signature camera work or set designs, recognizable across careers; primarily S. Spielberg, T. Burton, P. Jackson, and G. del Toro.
But I kinda like the most how Clint Eastwood has cultivated a respectable actor/director/producer career.

Amélie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Much of John Williams' work: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/

Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa, opening sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyK6gsSEO7Y

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
Kung Fu Panda: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0441773/?ref_=sr_1

8) A 'GUILTY PLEASURE' FILM
Labyrinth: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
or Legend, with U.S. release Tangerine Dream score:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Blade Runner: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/?ref_=sr_1
And I wish they'd convert it to 3D, too!

Film historians and quants may argue for something like Casblanca's Rick: "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
But for me, the scene which always chills me is Lily's Seduction from Legend, especially the moment when she turns and is in the dress.
The Bastardized version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuToQn9VH4

"I'm the king of the WORRRRRLD!" may be the most mimicked shot in the world,... http://veryaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/king-of-the-world.jpg
... but without a doubt, Basic Instinct's Interrogation Room shot was the most controversial, thus greatest:
http://api.ning.com/files/PyXBJnsHy...9gBWfYxNgH9o2rbFGiSoqkdyZ/stone.jpg?width=750
The scene: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/07/14/basic-instinct-the-leg-cross

EDIT UPDATE >> :lol: http://www.slashfilm.com/top-ten-paused-movie-moments/

The Fifth Element: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
or Moulin Rouge!: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203009/?ref_=sr_1

Ideally, something relatively technically, logistically, and resourcefully easy to shoot, and preferably marketable.
Something like... Eli Roth's Cabin Fever: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303816/?ref_=sr_1
Plus they gotta watch the extensive DVD extras, taking detailed notes.

Last edited:
Labyrinth. The scene with the Escher-esque stairs fascinated me.

Reality Bites. I still watch it all the time.

There are so many, but I'll go with Joss Whedon.

Dear Lemon Lima.

I'm gonna cheat and flip to TV for this one, and say that the songs they use on Supernatural are great.

Johnny Depp in The Man Who Cried.

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
Coraline (unless claymation doesn't count, then I'd say Rango).

Hope Floats. Don't judge me.

The Hobbit. Living 2 hours away from the nearest good movie theater gets really old...

The scene in the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice (the one with Keira Knightley) where Lizzie and Darcy are in the Collins's parlor. So much is said in that scene, when nothing is really said at all. The acting is spot on. One of my absolute favorite scenes of all time.

Predictable: the beach scene in Atonement. It's a 5 minute continuous shot with amazing choreography. The technical aspects are amazing.

Dirty Dancing.

Going to cheat on this one and name two: Fight Club and Clueless.

Okay, I'm game! Lists like this are fun. I enjoy seeing everybody's idiosyncratic faves.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It was the first movie that really made me go WOW! I was the perfect age for it (10), and I recall riding my bike to the glorious Northgate Theater, for many repeat viewings.

That's tough for me to answer. I can honestly say that I had dreamed of filmmaking from a very early age, but I never saw it as anything I could actually do, so never pursued it. Didn't get into it until well into adulthood, and almost by accident. So, maybe I say Temple of Doom again?

I would like to name about twenty. But since you're asking for one, I'm gonna say George Lucas, but not for the reasons you might expect. Okay, so yeah, he kinda botched the prequels. But prior to that, he made what is arguably the most influential piece of artwork of modern human-kind. And I'm not just talking movies, I'm talking ALL OF ART!

But here's what I really admire him for -- after so many of his fans turned their backs on him, he gave them the gift of allowing their beloved series to continue on. And what does he do with the massive amount of money Disney paid him? Donates almost all of it to charity. He pretty much literally just gave his franchise away, for the benefit of the fans, and one lucky charity. That's awesome!

Born Into Brothels. I have such a difficult time convincing people to watch this movie. Don't let the subject-matter scare you away, the movie is incredibly uplifting.

For this, and the next few questions, let's replace the word "best" with "favorite". In art, there's no such thing as better or worse.

That being said, I'm gonna go with Phantom Menace. Yeah, I know John Williams is the obvious choice, but that's for good reason. How do you choose which movie is his best? For me, it's Ep. I.

Jamie Foxx, The Soloist. Impossible role. Nailed it.

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION

Wall-E. Very few movies, animated or otherwise, have connected with my heart like this one.

The entire "Step Up" series. Yep, I'm a fan. And I think I'd really enjoy directing one.

The ORIGINAL Metropolis, with live musicians!

Neo finally realizes he's THE ONE, and takes the fight to Agent Smith.

Children of Men. The single-take shot near the end, when he
saves mother and child
, in the war-zone. Okay, technically, it's not one shot, but it sure does look like it!

Team America.

American Movie.

1) A CHERISHED CHILDHOOD FAVORITE

It's a toss-up between "Mary Poppins" and "Scrooge" (which I saw at Radio City Music Hall).

Star Wars (Episode IV). I really dislike the way Lucas subsequently tinkered with it.

That depends upon how you define a filmmaker. My favorite sound designer, supervising sound editor, rerecording mixer is Randy Thom. Ben Burtt and Gary Rydstrom are tied for a very close second. If you want a director it's between Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis.

Being There

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078841/?ref_=sr_1

Much too hard to choose. If you stick a gun to my head I would have to lean towards the Miklós Rózsa score for "Ben Hur."

For best song, again under duress, Strangers Like Me by Phil Collins.

Huh? I guess that you mean actor/actress. Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia." The man broke my heart. For actress; Natalie Portman in "Black Swan."

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION

"The Incredibles" is my personal favorite.

I'm a sucker for "Capra Corn" (films by Frank Capra) and RomComs. The current "guilty" favorite is "Music and Lyrics." Not a great film, but I love it anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758766/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I wish that I had experienced "Casablanca" when it was released.

The D-Day scene in "Saving Private Ryan." Very close is the chariot scene in "Ben Hur."

I'm leaving this one blank - I'm an audio guy, not a visuals guy.

"Forrest Gump"

Wow! Must see? You really need a syllabus. There are many films that teach many different lessons.

‘The Land Before Time’

It’s so long ago… Probably ‘Terminator 2’. A couple of friends and I actually made our own version when I was maybe 10 or so (we also made an ‘Aliens’ film and a ‘Jurassic Park’ film, intercutting our live action performances with shots of our action figures! Man I wish I still had a copy of those…).

I admire the work ethic of Robert Rodriguez. I admire the fact that Quentin Tarantino can just do as he pleases.

Everybody should have seen ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’, but I guess some people may not have due to it being foreign language. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it!

I’m a big fan of the ending to ‘The Devils Rejects’, where the rejects have a shootout with the cops from their speeding Cadillac, all set the sound of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s ‘Freebird’.

I’m going for an actor/actress combo: Anthony Hopkins/Jody Foster - ‘The Silence of the Lambs’.

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
‘Toy Story 3’. So funny and the ending made me cry.

Erm… ‘Chicago’…

I wish I’d been there to watch films like ‘The Exorcist’ and ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’. I think they’d have been so much more powerful than they are now.

‘Psycho’ shower scene.

Tough one this… How about the match cut of the bone to the spaceship, in ‘2001’?

The film I’ve seen the most times is ‘Scream’. Love it, so much fun.

Erm… How’s about... I don’t know... Oooh... ’40 Days in Hell’. It’s the making of ‘The Devils Rejects’, but it is 3 hours long and it’s pretty in depth.

-- after so many of his fans turned their backs on him, he gave them the gift of allowing their beloved series to continue on. And what does he do with the massive amount of money Disney paid him? Donates almost all of it to charity. He pretty much literally just gave his franchise away, for the benefit of the fans, and one lucky charity. That's awesome!

True that. The man does cop a lot of shit from people, and I'm sure the cynics will still criticize him for selling the series, but when a guy gives billions of dollars to charity that's worth applauding whether you want an Epsiode VII or not..

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I don't know why it should be. I don't know that it really is. But for some reason I wanna say E.T.

Just like CF, I dreamed of making films, but I always dismissed it as unrealistic and not gonna happen. That's probably still true for me. =P

Martin Scorsese. I don't love all of his films, but from what I "know" of him, I love the man. I love him for his love of film. I love him for his passion for film and how he really knows his s---. I admire him for being (appearing to be, anyway) mild-mannered (something I respect in anyone), so articulate, intelligent, and thoughtful.

Frazetta: Painting with Fire. This is a documentary that particularly makes me wanna make documentaries.

Probably should be something of John Williams. Wow, what a body of work! Maybe Superman the Movie?

I don't know.

But I do love the score for Solaris 2002 by Cliff Martinez.

Oh geez, I don't know. So many, many. I might have to think about it and come back to this and edit something in.

I do like mad_hatter's call on Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

I might also say Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz. He had a huge paycheck. He really annoyed Coppola by not losing the weight like they had agreed he would. But when all was said and done, his perfomance, with the lighting, editing, and everything else, he/it turned out to be a knock-out which really helped make the film great.

Oh, oh, oh...one of my favorite things is Alan Rickman as Professor Snape. And for that manner, two of my other favorite things are Maggie Smith as professor McGonagall and Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore.

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION

Oh gosh, not sure. Could be The Secret of NIMH. Possibly Watership Down. Beauty and the Beast is nice. Tangled is pretty great. Haven't seen it for a very long time, but wasn't the Fantastic Planet pretty rad? And of course most of the Pixar films.

I'm not really one to feel guilty about liking this or that film. Okay...how about Showgirls...for obvious reasons, I'm sure. Though I haven't seen it in like forever.

Apocalypse Now for one, I suppose, supposing it was a nice, big screen in a nice theater. I'm sure seeing Blade Runner on the big screen for the first time must have been awesome too.

Boy I don't know that one, but I've always thought that the scene in which Bud resuscitates Lindsey in The Abyss is one damn powerful scene. But again, so many, how do you choose?

Oh my gosh, there's gotta be hundreds or thousands or more canidates for that. I'd have to think about that or even comb through how many films to pick those out.

I like CF's call on the Children of Men sequence.

I think there's that scene in Lawrence of Arabia in the desert in which Omar Sharif makes his entrance on a camel or horse or whatever that gets mentioned.

I've always thought that the shots or sequence in Cast Away when Chunk goes to the top of the island and looks out over the boundaries of the island and the incoming waves was pretty awesome. Of course the sound design with the waves and the wind goes a long way to making that all awesome.
shotfromcastaway_zps52bce069.png

So many great shots in Bram Stoker's Dracula.
dracula_zps73d9f107.png

From Dragonslayer. It's a little disappointing paused for a screen grab (especially since I couldn't get one that's not blurred a little...well, he is moving, after all) --much more dramatic when in motion. Still, not too shabby.
dragonslayer_zps2f049e97.png

And of course, how many great shots must there be in just The Godfather movies?

Etc etc etc...

This changes.

And since entering the world of streaming video I haven't been rewatching films much lately. Oh I don't know. I'll just say one of my favorites then, I'm not too sure, but, From Hell, because I just think it's one of the most well-crafted and beautifully made films ever.

I always recommend watching The Last Temptation of Christ while listening to the audio commentaries. Here's a bunch of serious filmmakers talking about how they made this labor of love, really, since Hollywood was not interested in such films. Just a lot of intelligence and passion and interesting things said by all involved.

Last edited:
ET. I cried at that film when i first saw it as a child.
28 Days Later. A wierd choice maybe, but after seeing it i realised what was possible with such a low budget and that the hundreds of millions spent in Hollywood isn't the only way to make a good film.
Shame Meadows. All of his stuff seems relatable in some way or another, and his personal background of delving into crime before straightening himself is admirable imo.
The Strangers. Great horror, again another relatively low budget film.
Pursuit of Happiness from Project X. I'm not sure why, but that song just gives a real emphasis on the party atmosphere and the 'youth' aspect of the film (maybe it's because i'm only 18 that i appreciate what this song does to the film). Alternatively, the soundtrack to Saving Private Ryan is pretty good, if i remember rightly.
Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker.
7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
Don't really remember too many animated films. :(
Beastly. Please don't judge me.
Ohhhh there's too many. Saving Private Ryan, This Is England, The Strangers, City Of God - i could go on.
It's a tough one between the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan or the final scene in Se7en. Or thinking about it a bit more, Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday. Inspiring.
Final shot in Saving Private ryan, as Ryan salutes Millers gravestone. Just feel its very emotional.
If you hadn't guessed by now, Saving Private Ryan. I love that film. Brilliant work.
It depends what the filmmaker is going for. In terms of post-production colour editing, nothing can beat 300. In terms of real mind workers, it has to be Inception. Schindler's List if your'e looking for an emotionally responsive film. But don't forget the great war epic that is Saving Private Ryan...

Last edited:
Some cool answers so far, definitely a lot of stuff I want to check out. Here's mine;

A lot of animation, particularly The Land Before Time, The Lion King, Aladdin and the Saturday morning Disney cartoons on TV. Jack the Giant Killer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056112/?ref_=sr_3) is one I remember watching heaps and loving too.

Has to be Jurassic Park (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/?ref_=sr_2) . I was six when I saw it on the big screen (I remember it well) and my subsequent obsession with those dino-robots led to a fascination with the behind-the-scenes of film.

I really admire the way Woody Allen has just gone about his business for 50-odd years, making the films he wants to make and totally uninterested in accolades or reviews. Francois Truffaut is another who really inspires me. There is a certain beauty in his films that is really hard to define, and he just seemed like a guy who genuinely was in love with cinema.

Just saw Amblin' recently. Spielberg's first real film and the one that got him noticed.(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064010/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) 25 mins long, visually really nice (though the copy I saw had deteriorated somewhat) and a great example of how you can keep an audience engaged and tell a story without using dialogue. If you can manage to find a copy I really recommend you check it out.

Love much of John William's work but have to go with Ennio Morricone's score from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060196/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1). Epic. It feels like a great eagle soaring above a lone cowboy riding a horse through an American desert beneath a hot sun, surrounded by the spirits of long-dead native Americans, on his way to a show-down somewhere, and all this happening inside of a dream. At least thats what I feel when I listen to it.

Balthasar, the donkey in Au hasard, Balthasar (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060138/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) Alright, so it's technically a donkey, but still, I defy anyone not to be moved by the finale. If not that then maybe Bogart in Casablanca or Leaud in The 400 Blows.

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
The fairytales of Ray Harryhausen. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0366063/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) Check out his Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel and King Midas if you can.

So many. The Cable Guy, anyone? Baseketball. The Star Wars prequels. The Ernest P Whurrel films. Old B-Grade sci-fi's and monster films. Also, I meet very few people who get half as much enjoyment out of Steve Oedekerk's THUMBS as I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kAyfsDhO8Q

Would LOVE to have been there for Jaws or the original Star Wars. But can you imagine having been there to see Melies' A Trip to the Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000417/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4). That would have been mindblowing.

Honourable mentions to the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, the three way standoff in The Good, The Bad the Ugly and the Casablanca finale. But got to go with the cab scene from On the Waterfront. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047296/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeVq1e6JKlw

Has to be this one, the final shot from The Third Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041959/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pV6zRGeeGM
What a great film.

Casablanca. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) Never gets old. Everytime it finishes I just feel like hitting play again. Also Back to the Future is one I watch constantly.

Was going to say Citizen Kane, because if you haven't seen it you really need to, but I'll also add this as an afterthought;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXKIMag5hHE
Because we all start somewhere.

I'll play along...
1) Black Sunday (in the early 1960's). I was 11 & went to Sat. double feature for 35 cents. Loved Barbara Steele and Bava's Italian gothic horror.
2) Gypsy (yeah, go ahead and laugh)... had a crush on Natalie Wood at the age of 12. From that day on I wanted to make movies!
3) As a kid Roger Corman due to his genre of movies. I do not have a single favorite director today -- too many directors out there to choose from.
4) Dressed To Kill De Palma's 1980 film, due to the script, the acting, and editing -- for me in 1980, this movie worked big time.
5) I am not a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan, but, I cannot think of a soundtrack that works or sticks in the head better than this over the years.
6) Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. He nailed it.
7) UP watched it many times and I do not like cartoons!
8) The Ninth Gate, something about the story that just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. AND, the acting along with pace, were great -- believable for me even though I am not into any religion.
9) The Hobbit, due to all the comments from so many, just never made it to IMax to see it in 3D.
10) The opening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK started a whole new wave of action sequences.
11) Psycho shower scene, Hitchcock -- enough said.
12) Jaws but there are several other movies I also watch over and over.
13) The Godfather due to the amount of detail placed in every shot, quality of acting and pace of story.

I don't really remember. That's a terrible answer but I don't think I ever had that one movie that I watched over and over again.

Again, not sure I have an answer for this one. I don't remember a catalytic moment, and if it was something then it was probably something really underwhelming, like when I watched the Brad Pitt version of Troy in the back of a car.

Woody Allen- doesn't take a genius to understand why. Funniest filmmaker ever, also one of the funniest actors, who manages to handle drama with tact and sensitivity comparable to the very greatest directors. Hit and miss, undoubtedly, but when it hits, it sinks.

Hmm, my favourite film from 2012 was a Danish film called The Hunt by Thomas Vinterberg who did Festen and, along with Lars von Trier, started the Dogme 95 movement. Fantastic film, hunt it out ;)

I still think Lord of the Rings has an amazing score, just because it managed to match (and often beat) the visual spectacle of a film which is so visually spectacular. There are some great low key scores as well- I love Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor's work on The Social Network.

Tough question. Diane Keaton in Annie Hall?

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION

Monsters Inc and Shrek- the two greatest films from the first year of the Best Animation Oscar.

Wimbledon.

I'd love to see Casablanca on the big screen. Weirdly hasn't happened for me yet.

Brenda Blethyn in the cafe in Secrets and Lies. Heatbreaking.

Upside down shadows in The Tree of Life.

Sorry to be boring, but probably Annie Hall.

Whatever they want to see! The most important thing is to watch something. But also, probably, Casablanca ;)

Empire Strikes Back.

The Gamers

Screenwriter: William Goldman

Hudson Hawk... because it's generally considered really bad, but it makes me happy for no readily apparent reason.

Lord of the Rings... all of it. I hear that music, and (Depending on the piece) I'm either ready to fight like hell, or start walking like I'm the King, baby.

There's a lot of good ones, so how do you pick. I'll go classic. Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca. That movie by modern standards is slow... but Bogart made it flow (As did Ingrid Bergman).

7) THE BEST IN ANIMATION
Lion King

Hudson Hawk. Leave me alone.

Terminator

End of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Revelation of Darth Vader's relationship to Luke Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back.

Princess Bride or Serenity

Buckaroo Bonzai... cause it'll definitely make you feel better about yourself, since THAT got green lit.

Back