Filmmaking books

I wasnt sure where to post this question, so i hope this is okay.

I don't ever want to go to school again, but I am very interested in film and I want to learn as much as possible. I have netflix, and damn do i use it! I try to watch as many great films as possible (I absolutely am in love with Godard). And once I have to means to do so I will start making my own films (which I think will be the best way to learn) But for now, I want to READ as much as possible. I started with '$30 film school', which is beyond newb. I already know everything that was in that book. I'm looking for deeper information on filmmaking (preferably from a highly artistic percpective) specifically about Directing, Cinemetography, Lighting, Writing, THEORY.

Any recommendations will surely help :)

Hi. I have a ton of books (and DVDs) myself, but some of my all time favorites are...

Writing
Conflict, Action & Suspense by William Noble,
Save The Cat by Blake Snyder
The Screenwriter's Bible by David Trottier
Writing the Action-Adventure Film, The Moment of Truth by Neill D. Hicks
Writing the Terror Film, The Terror Within by Beill D. Hicks

Directing
Film Directing Fundamentals, See your Film Before Shooting by Nicholas T. Proferes - one of the best books I have read with a chapter that teaches you how to watch, study and analyze movies - case studies are on Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious, Peter Weir's The Truman Show and Frederico Fellini's 8 1/2. TOP READ.
Film Directing Shot by Shot by Steven D. Katz

Cinematography/Camera
Placing Shadows, Lighting Techniques for Video Production by Chuck Gloman and Tom Letourneau
Cinematography Theory and Practice, Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors and Videographers by Blain Brown (Awesome read)
Motion Picture and Video Lighting by Blaine Brown
Grammar of the Shot by Roy Thompson and Christopher J. Bowen
Digital Video Secrets by Tony Levelle

Editing
Grammar of the Edit by Roy Thompson and Christopher J. Bowen
Cutting Rhythms by Karen Pearlman

Sound
Producing Great Sound for Film and Video by Jay Rose

Like I said, I have a few more (and DVD titles) feel free to ask questions if you want more recommendations or specifics on these. I hope these help. Good luck.

You might view it as "newb" info as well, but before you actually make your first film. I'd read one of Lloyd Kaufman's books like "Make Your Own Damn Movie". It gives you valuable of real world examples like "What if your script girl is incompetent", "Why you always shoot nude scenes first", and "Hioly shit my 1st AD just punched the Director of Photography".

Since you have netflix, I highly suggest renting, The Dialogue: interviews with screenwriters. Unbelievably good interviews with working industry professionals. Great insight can be gained from these writers, a lot have experience with directing, producing, etc.

kosh, thank you for the recommendations! its so nice to see someone on this forum answer a question instead of arguing with the o.p why their question is stupid :x

also to kosh, from each subject, what books have the best/most/valuable information?

caseyhein- i just looked up those interviews, just by seeing the work that they have done i'm not interested in any of the people, but i'm sure they have good info. if i were to watch just 1 or 2, what do you think is the best ones?

thanks for the replies!

kosh, thank you for the recommendations! its so nice to see someone on this forum answer a question instead of arguing with the o.p why their question is stupid :x

also to kosh, from each subject, what books have the best/most/valuable information?

caseyhein- i just looked up those interviews, just by seeing the work that they have done i'm not interested in any of the people, but i'm sure they have good info. if i were to watch just 1 or 2, what do you think is the best ones?

thanks for the replies!
To be honest I thought they would be lame because I hadn't heard of most of the people. I ended up loving almost everyone.

The Best
Scott Rosenberg
Stuart Beatty
Paul Haggis
Jonathan Hensleigh
Ted Griffen
Simon Kinsburg
Sheldon Turner
Bruce Joel Rubin
Jeff Nathanson

Thanks kgasser2 for posting this. I was actually about to do the same and you beat me to it! Thanks to the rest of you for answering with some really great resources. I'm excited to check them out.

thanks for the replies!

Hey kgasser. Don't mention it. Sorry to hear that people are giving you a hard time for trying to learn something, especially on this site. I have not had any bad experiences on here. Here's hoping it's a better experience for you here on out.

So back to the point. For me, my all time favorites are...

Screenwriting
The Writer's Bible by David Trottier - it's the first movie related book I read ever since I started flirting with the idea of writing screenplays (back in the day). It is a solid book that will give you a strong fundamental foundation on the whole effort from soup-to-nuts.
Save the Cat by Blake Snyder - is a close second for me. It's a fun read from a guy who has had some success Hollywood side. He suggests a development style that is pretty cool and pretty easy to apply. I also bought the software that helps build the "Beat Sheets" covered in his book. It's helped strengthen my writing and appreciation for the craft quite a bit.

Directing
Film Directing Fundamentals, See Your Film Before Shooting by Nicholas T. Proferes - hands down my favorite book so far in all of my movie studies (to think that I was going to pass on it during one of my many trips to Borders). In addition to having actual working experience (see Wanda), Mr. Proferes is also a Professor of Film at Columbia University's School of Arts - so the guy can teach, and teach he does in this easy read. I am a huge proponent of his directing prep-work and style. If you are interesting in directing this book is a MUST READ.

Cinematography
Cinematography, Theory and Practice, Image making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers by Blain Brown - This book is a bit technical, as one would expect when it comes to subject matter of Cinematography. That said, it is a great read and I can see it being a great precursor for an aspiring cinematographer - which I am not, but I have learned quite a bit and think I can speak the language (somewhat) and have a deeper appreciation for the craft. If anything this book has helped me broaden my considerations during the planning phase. The book does have a bit of a film bias and I must admit that I do not have any aspirations to mess with film just yet. Excellent read nonetheless. I also bought another book from Blain (Motion Picture and Video Lighting).
Pacing Shadows is a close second for me.

Camera
Grammar of the Shot by Roy Thompson and Christopher J Bowen - a great read and a field guide for me. High level fundamentals that are great for communication between a director and camera operator. I love this book.

Editing
Grammar of the Edit by Roy Thompson and Christopher J Bowen - same approach and read from an editing standpoint. Nice read and great field guide. Also a high level coverage of the material but nice introductory material, a great place to start if you want to dig deeper into this topic.

I hope this stuff helps, and don't be discouraged by the rough posts/answers on here because as a supplement to all my books and DVDs this site is one of my premier places to get great information from a wide range of people who are at various stages in their respective crafts. Sometimes our passions tend to get the best of us, I'm sure there is no malice intended. Don't get discouraged and follow your passions. Good luck.

Last edited:
So I picked up "Master Shots" at the book store.. good for a noob like me.. maybe not so much for you. It has pretty "low production value" cheap B&W pictures etc, but it explains many camera moves rather well. Particularly, I like how they are categorized and organized.

I'd also add, it's a good idea to watch not only great films, but good, mediocore, and bad ones as well. I watched a film called "Black Out" about people trapped in an elevator the other night. Total hunk of crap... With an opening shot that has the exact use of color in low light I want to use in my next film. There are nuggets everywhere.

good point gonzo, i meant to mention that in my o.p.

aside from finding little gems like you found, there are plenty of good examples of what DOESN'T work. haha

that certainly saves me some time.

its so nice to see someone on this forum answer a question instead of arguing with the o.p why their question is stupid :x

Huh? Examples?

THEORY BOOKS:

What started it all for me was finding a disused copy of Allen Casebier's Film Appreciation while locked in a book storage closet for detention.

This was followed by reading Bernard F. Dick's The Anatomy of Film.

Then I trolled the library for every single copy of Film Quarterly magazine they had. Use a periodical search engine to find Film Quarterly articles on your favorite movies, esp. the Goddards (which are your favs, by the way?)

CinemaScope magazine is an excellent look at contemporary theories regarding the current state of avant-garde cinema.

Film Theory and Criticism, edited by Braudy and Cohen, is biblical in scale and with its tenacious annotations should prove an adequate diving board into any area of theory you wish to explore.

Better films would be made if more young filmmakers studied film theory...kudos to you for your interest.

uranium, about your quote of mine: i guess i dont have any specific examples because it hadnt really happened to me, but i see a lot of other people, especially when newbies ask questions that arent the best questions or maybe too general, repliers try to reword their question or criticize it without even trying to answer it for them. i dont want to point out any specific person, but i just think that is a counter productive response, and probably discouraging to the poster.

ask far as your other suggestions, thanks a lot. this thread is far more successful than any other post i've made so thanks to you and everyone else. and if there are more suggestions out there, please share!

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein

The Sound Effects Bible: How to Create and Record Hollywood Style Sound Effects - Ric Viers

The Foley Grail: The Art of Performing Sound for Film, Games, and Animation - Vanessa Theme Ament

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures: A Guide to the Invisible Art - John Purcell

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Lewis Yewdall

forgot to ask about text on sound, thanks alcove. i can always count on you to dictate the importance of sound on this forum! :)

Back