Filming partner?

I've done a couple features without any experience from crew and cast members. I've noticed that alot of independent filmmakers will have a partner who shares their passion and sometimes their vision.

Would you guys educate me on what you know of dynamic duos: pros and cons, how to go about hooking up with a partner in filmmaking, etc. . . ? Thank you.

If you can find someone whom you can trust to take over a great deal of the most important responsibilities, I can't think of any cons. Isn't that what we all are striving for, anyway?

If you've already made a few features without a partner, getting one now will be setting yourself up for disappointment. Nobody is going to be able to take on that level of commitment without cash dangling in front of them, because for one thing, if they could, they're already doing their own projects.

To lessen your load, you could "partner" with a DP . . . if he starts to slack off, you can easily replace him whereas a true partner with a hand in everything is difficult to replace. IMO not worth the headache.

Good luck.

Sam and Niko. Also Freddie and Brandon on youtube are both great examples.

Look up Sam and Niko's behind the scenes for SYNC on the "Bammo" channel on youtube. They are actually really informative behind the scenes and shows you the pros and cons of working in a team. They work very similar to the way me and my filming partner works. (although I direct and he is a dp, slightly different I suppose)

GuerrillaAngel,

I find your information helpful to a great degree. Have you had any experience with a filming partner? One who, perhaps, shares your passion for doing filming projects?

Thank you everyone for your advice. CJInzana, I intend to check out "Bammo"'s channel.

Sadly, most people are all talk, then when it comes to action, they don't even show up on time. Any potential "partners" eliminated themselves.

While I'm sure everyone has a "perfect match" out there, but I'm of the opinion that one is better spending the time on working on your project instead.

On the other hand, if one has very little knowledge of the craft and you're not willing to educate yourself, yeah, you'll need to find a partner with the knowledge you lack.

Back