Filming in public

What exactly are the rules/restrictions/guidelines/etc. for filming in public? What if you're a 17 year old with a cast of teenagers making short films for YouTube and you wanted to film in a public location, say a library? Or downtown?

I read that you don't need any permits or permission as long as the location is public and you're not obstructing any sidewalk or anything with lights, tripod, etc. I go handheld so that wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Thanks.

You gotta be quiet in the library.

At 17, the most you're going to get is a ticking off. I'm not sure what the exact laws are your area, but I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, so long as you avoid being an actual disruption. So don't block off roads or anything, but if you wanna use a camera in the street and you're only 17 (provided it isn't an Alexa) you're unlikely to get stopped.

Woke up to this article link via an email from my brother who lives in Brunswick with his wife and two girls.

http://www.pressherald.com/politics/horror-all-around-over-teen-filmmakers-bloodbaths-set-in-brunswick-_2013-01-13.html

"I have to tell you, in all honesty, I'm still aghast at it," said Elisabeth Doucett, director of Brunswick's Curtis Memorial Library, after watching "The Biohazard: Part 1" for the first time Friday morning. "I was more than a little shocked."

She had good reason: Half of the 8-minute, 33-second video was shot without Doucett's knowledge inside her library -- including a scene where two zombie-like teens take shots to the head just outside the main entrance.

I've biked around that base. Great location. Getting permission would be wise, especially if you're sporting assault rifles.

Good luck.

What exactly are the rules/restrictions/guidelines/etc. for filming in public?

What does your city's code of regulations have to say about it? It can vary from city to city, or maybe by county if the city doesn't have its own rules.

Go down to city hall and ask. Some citys have their regs on the city website, too.

Based on the article posted in the other thread, and earlier in this one, I think the best advice for USNFilms is to see if there is a local film commission, and get to know those people. Learn about the local laws. You've gained some success with your YouTube channel, and know it's brought negative attention (that article) your way. Your actually doing something good with yourself, regardless of the content of your films. Because of the attention, now it's best to learn about the codes and laws in your area, and do your best to abide by them.

Every state and usually even cities in each state differ. As far as public buildings, you have to have a permit to show a public building or worker in a shot in my city. May be totally different in Brunswick.

You have too much negative attention in your own town. GET PERMISSION. I think they've gone a bit far with it (obviously its harmlessly!!) but obviously you could be close to getting into trouble...

Yeah, whilst the article is obviously very wrong about most things, and you're getting a lot of support from people, it isn't really sensible (at any age, don't think you can get away with anything just cos you're 17) to be filming in public with mocked up assault rifles!

It's a good discipline to try and use the proper avenues and if you're paying taxes on what you earn from USN then you're certainly in a position to start taking the legal side more seriously!

That is such an interesting question. When I was in college, we would have to get permits to film in public. I had to get a permit to film in the Esplande in Boston, MA. I also got one for the Commons. It was easier to get a permit then to be hassled by the cops.

But nowadays there are so many smart phones and cameras that people whip out to film anything it seems that you would not need a permit. I would air on the side of caution. I think it is easier to get a permit and you won't be hassled at all.

Back