Film title

Just a quick question--

Would it be a bad decision to use the word 'Broken' as the title for an upcoming short film of mine?

It seems like the perfect fit for my movie (without seeming cliche) I think it would work well with the images on screen, as I was going to fade from title to opening shot and close with the title card before the credits. The juxaposition should work nicely.

The only reason I think it may not be a good choice is because of the abundence of projects already titled 'Broken' (just look on imdb) This is just a small project that will probably only be shown online via YouTube and Vimeo, and not likely to be submitted to any festivals (although who can say) so it might not really matter.

What does indietalk think?

I am always inclined to craft a unique title (or thereabouts!) for projects, as long as it serves the story and isn't clever for the sake of being clever.

I'd have to say that Broken tastes like chewed gum. Maybe use the online Thesaurus and hunt for a synonym that can do the same thing? Without seeing or reading the script, it's hard to say.

Care to post a logline or synopsis?

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Flicker Pictures about trying to go for as unique a title as you can.

We originally had our latest feature titled "BATTLE" which was a title that was unique as just that single word and it was part of the theme, etc. Many people agreed the title was good. Our distributor, however, did not agree and they changed the title to "STEP OFF" which really isn't related to the theme and seems like they'd like to be associated with more of a dance movie than one that focuses on a different aspect of Hip-Hop.

Since they're huge and should know what they're doing, hopefully the new title works well.

I just know that the old title would have been perfectly fine as well. And for foreign release we may still use it.

My .02,

Martin

* just wanted to add that coming up with a title so esoteric and complex won't serve the film well, either, but somewhere between unique and accessible would do.

Broken ______

or

_____ Broken

How about "That Which is Broken"
???

Good idea with the thesaurus. Gave that a try with no avail. I sort of like 'That Which Is Broken', is seems to go along with the dialogue and maybe even more suggestive to the themes. This project has been unnamed for so long that I almost wanted it to be untitled. Then I thought of doing something really abstract like ††∆††, which is also suggestive to the theme as far as mood, but i was planning on some cross imagery in the film so that might be too much. Also it would be impossible to search for but that might be cool. And if by whatever chance it does end up in a fest or something (although unlikely) that would definitely set it apart on the list. would that be too much?

and flicker i just fell in love with your sig phrase. I feel like he's talking to me! that's my biggest problem with creative work be it writing, drawing, music, i take myself too seriously and am so afraid of rejection! I'll be reflecting on that.

But back to the topic...

as your seeking for a title, be sure to say the various choices out loud many times. When I "Say" "That Which Is Broken" it sounds to me like Im saying "That Witch Is Broken" sure they sound the same, but if someone came up to you and said "The Which Is Broken" what would you think they meant?

There is both good and bad to having to explain a title.. the good is that any more face time talking about your movie helps the title to "stick" in folks minds.. the bad is that you might explain it badly and come off like a pretentious noob.

Thanks

Back